Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2006, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 7,798 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are considering moving to Missoula from SE Pennsylvania. We've just read about the superfund sites up-river from Missoula, and we are now concerned about the water quality and health and ecological issues surrounding it. Any local perspective would be helpful to us. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2006, 03:18 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,255,078 times
Default Missoula

Quote:
Originally Posted by megann22 View Post
My boyfriend and I are considering moving to Missoula from SE Pennsylvania. We've just read about the superfund sites up-river from Missoula, and we are now concerned about the water quality and health and ecological issues surrounding it. Any local perspective would be helpful to us. Thank you!
Montana has the most stringent water quality laws in the United States. Missoula's city water is treated, cleaned, etc. just like all other cities. The superfund site has been there for 40 years (or more). The weather inversions they get there in the winter would be more of a concern to me than the water quality. I grew up in Missoula.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 7,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHT View Post
Montana has the most stringent water quality laws in the United States. Missoula's city water is treated, cleaned, etc. just like all other cities. The superfund site has been there for 40 years (or more). The weather inversions they get there in the winter would be more of a concern to me than the water quality. I grew up in Missoula.
Thank you for your response! The term "inversion" is new to us, and we are not completely clear on the implications. Do they mainly cause cloudier skies?

Old 09-20-2006, 06:23 PM

78 posts, read 744,040 times
Default Inversions

Quote:
Thank you for your response! The term "inversion" is new to us, and we are not completely clear on the implications. Do they mainly cause cloudier skies?
For inversions, think Los Angeles. Cities in valleys are notorious for them. In an inversion, the air doesn't rise and flow out of the valley so all the pollutants (exhausts, etc.) stay in the valley. So no, an inversion isn't a cloud issue, it's an air quality issue.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:12 PM

77 posts, read 337,722 times
Denver has this problem.

Old 09-22-2006, 01:12 PM

853 posts, read 968,683 times
Post Inversion explained

Quote:
I originally posted this in another state forum, but thought I would copy/paste it here as it seems appropriate. The following is a brief, layman's explanation of atmospheric inversion.
Meteorologically this is an increase of air temperature with altitude. This increase is a reversal of the normal temperature condition where temperature usually decreases with altitude. Inversions play an important role in determining cloud formation, precipitation, and visibility. An inversion acts as a lid, preventing the upward movement of the air below it. Where a pronounced inversion is present at a low level, convective clouds cannot grow high enough to produce showers and, at the same time, visibility may be greatly reduced. Because the air near the base of the inversion is cool, fog is frequently present. This particular phenomena occurs because high-pressure systems often combine temperature inversion conditions and low wind speeds. During a temperature inversion, air pollution released into the atmosphere's lowest layer is trapped there and can be removed only by strong horizontal winds.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:02 PM

115 posts, read 260,687 times
Default water quality

One of the water quality issues they may be talking about is the removal of the Milltown dam. There are many years of sediments and pollutants behind the dam and as they move forward with it that stuff is being washed down river. They stopped it late summer for some reason (can't remember). Do some research on the Milltown dam and that should help you understand the situation. The Clarks fork of the Columbia river is the river that goes through Missoula. I went to college there and at the time there were no issues, but lots of fog in the winter.

Old 09-27-2006, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,897 times
My boyfriend and I are living in Missoula after growing up in SE PA, and we love it. The winter inversions and summer smoke can be a bummer, but it is much nicer than the constant pollution and gridlock of the Philly/Allentown area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
View detailed profiles of: