Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 07:55 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87504124 View Post
Thanks! Actually I'm a foreign student and it could be nearly 9 months being far away from my home in Truman. I'm thinking about my baggage and trying to orient it to the environment there.
Don't know where you are traveling in from but you could just buy here rather than trying to pack a bunch of heavy clothing that won't be needed until November.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 12:00 PM
jps

79 posts, read 392,012 times
Kirksville is, as my grandpa used to say, "colder than a well diggers a--."

Good luck.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:28 PM

20 posts, read 59,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps View Post
Kirksville is, as my grandpa used to say, "colder than a well diggers a--."

Good luck.

You guys think it's a good idea bringing two pairs of winter shoes to there?

Old 07-11-2010, 02:32 PM

694 posts, read 1,357,748 times
Quote:
You guys think it's a good idea bringing two pairs of winter shoes to there?
Not sure what sub tropic area you might be coming from but winters here are fairly mild (I am assuming but you seem a little spooked). This isn't Alaska, or even Minnesota. No Polar Bears, and ice is usually too thin to think about ice fishing. Your better off packing light and if you need some extra footwear or clothing, you can pick it up at a reasonable price locally. Just hate to see you pack for the worst, and haul in a bunch of stuff you won't end up needing. If your not used to the cold, which it doesn't appear you are, then you've gotten some pretty good advice here already. If you want my advice, I would go to a local restaurant or grocery store, explain your concerns, and see if they will let you stand in their walk in freezer. You'll figure out real quick what part of your body gets coldest and what extra articles of clothing you may need. The biggest problem you may have is if you are coming from an area where winters are a big nothing, then you'll not only have a hard time trying to guess what you'll need, but an even harder time finding any stores locally that carry what you'll need. Missouri stores know what people like and need, so you can find whatever you want locally. I would be willing to bet you could show up with a big coat, gloves, and a something to cover your ears, and be happy as a clam 99% of the time.

So quit fretting, nothing to worry about in Kirksville, MO

YouTube - Weather Paparazzi's Hit By Kirksville, MO Tornado

YouTube - INSANE footage of the Kirksville, MO Tornado (HQ video with added footage) (5/13/09)

Ok - not in the winter anyway

Just teasing - and good luck with college!!

Old 07-11-2010, 08:04 PM

38 posts, read 138,976 times
SW Missouri Dave now the poor student is going to think they might get swept up and dumped in Oz!

We promise we only let the wicked witches out in October. Of course you might have a professer that might pass for one.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:15 PM

20 posts, read 59,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
Not sure what sub tropic area you might be coming from but winters here are fairly mild (I am assuming but you seem a little spooked). This isn't Alaska, or even Minnesota. No Polar Bears, and ice is usually too thin to think about ice fishing. Your better off packing light and if you need some extra footwear or clothing, you can pick it up at a reasonable price locally. Just hate to see you pack for the worst, and haul in a bunch of stuff you won't end up needing. If your not used to the cold, which it doesn't appear you are, then you've gotten some pretty good advice here already. If you want my advice, I would go to a local restaurant or grocery store, explain your concerns, and see if they will let you stand in their walk in freezer. You'll figure out real quick what part of your body gets coldest and what extra articles of clothing you may need. The biggest problem you may have is if you are coming from an area where winters are a big nothing, then you'll not only have a hard time trying to guess what you'll need, but an even harder time finding any stores locally that carry what you'll need. Missouri stores know what people like and need, so you can find whatever you want locally. I would be willing to bet you could show up with a big coat, gloves, and a something to cover your ears, and be happy as a clam 99% of the time.

So quit fretting, nothing to worry about in Kirksville, MO

YouTube - Weather Paparazzi's Hit By Kirksville, MO Tornado

YouTube - INSANE footage of the Kirksville, MO Tornado (HQ video with added footage) (5/13/09)

Ok - not in the winter anyway

Just teasing - and good luck with college!!

Thanks! Quite a carying. Actually you've advised me so much below, I think I can get through this, so I'm doing fine.

Actually it is not that bad, and I'm not that freaking out, just a couple of concerns. I think one of the reasons that do I look so anxious is that I've never been to a place that snows in winter, but, look, it's just one of them, and it's the peripheral one.

Just assume this case: A guy lives in a million-people, tropical city, in which he was born and grew up for 20 years. One day he decided to go to an American small town for his college career, to a place that has a population of about 17,000 residents. And there could be the weather he never experienced. Totally different life, totally different environment.

What I'm trying to say is:I'm not afraid of the weather, I'm afraid of the things unknown essentially. I have no idea how life will be if I'm in a distinct town with diverse people.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:35 PM

694 posts, read 1,357,748 times
Quote:
What I'm trying to say is:I'm not afraid of the weather, I'm afraid of the things unknown essentially. I have no idea how life will be if I'm in a distinct town with diverse people.
Fair enough. If I had a daughter your age, I would be just as nervous about her coming to your town for college. Anytime we are taken out of our 'comfort zone', or our norm, anxiety is what keeps us alert. For someone from the tropics, cold weather is probably a concern, but it really shouldn't be. If your dressed warmly, you'll do fine. There are thousands of foreign students in Missouri colleges every semester, and I have never heard of one of them freezing to death. Some might have thought they were, based on what they were used to back home, but it always warms up and they can say they now know what cold is. Of course, Canadian's would tell us WE don't know what cold really is.

Diversity is actually a great thing when you are not part of the majority, because you become one more piece in a big old jigsaw puzzle. I don't want to disappoint you but unless you have 2 noses or 4 ears, I have a very strong suspicion you'll fit in fine.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,068 times
Default what kind of cloths required during cold season at kirksville

Please quote what kind of cloths required during cold time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri