Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 08:56 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times

Advertisements

Or if you're looking to start a bakery, you might like to be around the Lake of the Ozarks or Branson to pull in the tourist business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 02:53 AM

8 posts, read 10,013 times
Hello Sugar, I searched for small towns in Missouri and found this link : Missouri Small Towns & villages; these are towns with below 1000 population. If you are planning to move to Brookfield you can check the town here: Brookfield Chamber of Commerce , hoping for your success in finding a great place to move in here in Missouri.

All the best,
Mike
Business Builders-Missouri Branch
International Business Builders Association

Old 12-09-2010, 10:12 AM

247 posts, read 576,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSugarChef View Post
Well, to be honest, we're not sure what we want to go into working up there. We have both been truck drivers for almost 20 years, so transportation is an option. The hubs is a police officer at the moment and has been for 6 years, so that's another option. He's also good in sales, and I'm a Pastry Chef so have thought about opening a small bakery and/or cafe. I know in Brookfield, when we visited there in July, there is no bakery and no competition for the only family style restaurant that was there.

After research, we have come to realize that whatever we go into up there, we will not make the kind of money we do here. So for the time, we are considering finding something to purchase as a "second home" and using it for vacations, etc., until we are in a position , hopefully within a year, to either sell or rent our home here and make the permanent move.

Being an hour or two away from a major city is not bad, as driving for us is no big deal. We just want to know we can go into the city if we want and it doesn't take all day just to get there.

I hope that helps shed some light on what we're looking for. I was born & raised here in Texas, so moving to another state is something I never thought I'd do. But as I mentioned before, the violence is spilling over the borders and into our state; there are more home invasions and crime that is taking over and we want to get away from it. We visited Pennsylvania this past May for my daughter's college graduation and when we got back home, that's when we realized just how unfriendly people in our state have become. When I was growing, we used to be the 'hospitality' state, but that's not the case anymore. Those we've met up north are much nicer, friendlier and willing to help out....or at least they seemed as though they were! Either way, Texas IS NOT that way any more and we just want to get out.

Thanks for the response!
We are thinking of a place to move also, Missouri has crossed our minds, we live in Montana, and want more opportunities for our children and something more affordable, we want land, a small farm maybe? I am an otr trucker and an undergroung miner...

Old 12-10-2010, 09:09 AM

Ok, short version... my family left Minnesota in march of 1980, we came to Montana, we lived in the woods.. my dad got a logging Job, there was still alot of snow in the little belt mountains so we had to move into town, White Sulphur Springs.. rented a little house, then moved to Reed Point Montana, we stayed out by the yellowstone river in a camper the same one we stayed in when we first got to montana, it was 16 feet long,there was five of us.. Dad was trying to log in reed point also, then we moved to Springdale Montana, rented a house there for a couple months.. now it was november 1980.. Mom and Dad rented a u-haul for one days use and we Left Montana with the U-haul, headed for yuma arizona, after the hard trip from Montana to yuma AZ, my family got a job picking Lemons, Then it was all History, we traveled picking fruit and bumming all over the U.S. I say bumming becouse many many times that is how we made it from place to place, Mom would take me And My little sister into churches in any little town or city, she would say, we are from montana and traveling trying to find work and a place to stay, do you have any work we can do or any way to help us?? Never did a church turn us away!! Some times only 10 dollars for gas but always something.. we stopped in marfa texas trying to get help, by this time my oldest sister had a baby, she was 17.. me and my other two sisters were riding in the trunk of our old buick electra, Mom and dad were inside and also our oldest sister and her baby, and another Homeless couple we met in Mission texas.. The Sheriff In marfa Told my parents to Leave Marfa Texas And never come back.. he gave us some gas and a food Voucher at the Grocery store.. we hardly ever went to school, i had a sixty percent hearing loss in both ears..

Nickle Diming food stamps was common for us kids, if you Know what nickle Diming means.. My parents would give us each a dollar food stamp, we would buy a 5 or 10 cent piece of candy and bring them the change.. I dont care if I ever see a food stamp again!! after a few years of this, my parents started trying to be swapmeet vendors selling mostly junk... so from 1980 to 1992 we lived in a car, maybe an old school bus when we were lucky.. slept on picnic tables on the ground etc... we had scabies head lice etc... ate from the trash once in a while, but mostly ate comoddities government cheese or what ever the food banks gave out... poached a deer when we would make it back to montana.. in 1991 i met a 16 year old homeless girl at a homeless camp in the imperial valley of southern california,called Slab City.. a few months later she and I ran away, my parents new we were, and where we were going.. alot went on after that, but in a few months we were with my parents we all made it to montana and were living and working in the woods.. in march of 1993 I got a job custom harvesting, traveling driving truck and harvesting all over the country.. did this and worked on a road crew as a truck driver untill february of 2000, I wanted to move to minnesota.. My lifelong dream was to get back Home to Minnesota and Make My home there have a small farm and be a long haul trucker and build a small trucking company...

My dad always detered me for some reason and i always listened to him, he would say Minnesota is no ****tin good.. so i never went!! when the trucking company I worked for paving roads went out of business, i was working in arizona,I told dad i wanted to go to minnesota.. he said go to montana my sisters Lived there, so i listened.. Dad was still tramping around, He lived in an old van.. mom had passed in 1996, we went to montana bought an old trailer house in townsend, I got a job driving.. our trailer house burned down two weeks later.. that trailer was the first house, if you want to call it a house. 8x40, it was the first house I lived in since 1980, 20 years.. And the 16 year old homeless girl I ran away with in 1991, we had a son he was four.. dad died in 2003, My wife and i have been married 18 years now, our son is 16, we adopted twin baby girls they are four now.. I was under the influienc of my dad for so long, always felt so guilty if I was not there if he needed me, even though he was not a great dad, I always felt guilty if I didnt do what he wanted.. he was 50 when I was born and twenty years older than mom.. mom passed in 1996 she was 53, dad passed in 2003 he was 80 and still living in a 77 dodge van., would be 87 now and im 37, I still want to Live in Minnesota and am determined to do it.. after years of building up our credit,, while trying to pay for funerals, I made sure my parents were together, In White Sulphur Springs Mt..Dad and I had the same name, and over the years alot of dads debts and U-haul trailers and medical bills, caught up with me, and with everything we had to file for bankruptcy in 2008.. that put my minnesota dream on hold.. we are determined to do it..

I have done well I think, I drove over one million Miles in a semi without an accident..
have a house in Montana..
Have a wonderfull 16 year old son..
adopted twin baby girls..
have completed two multi million dollar projects in a platinum mine in Montana, i was the lead man on an underground railroad project and an underground road paving project...
made sure my parents were laid to rest together.
but most of all been with my wife, the 16 year old homeless girl for almost 20 years..
We are still determined to live in Minnesota, and im never giving up on My own Trucking Company... thats my Short long story.. I have been working on writing two books since 1996 but get Discouraged or upset and throw them away.. im trying it again now... Thank you...

[+] Rate this post positively

Old 12-10-2010, 09:11 AM

I once knew A lady that could do anything, she never had a nice house fancy clothes or A diamond ring.

She wore Blue jeans and boots, and always a hat. She even had a Chain drive wallett! She was comfortable like that..

She could rebuild an engine, also a carburetor,even A starter and an alternator. She could operate Equipment, anything from Skidders to Dozers, swathers and hay bailers..She could fall A tree, Homelite was her favorite saw

She could patch my pants, make Dinner out of almost nothing..Yeah this lady was really something, she often did our laundry in a bucket! She didnt have an easy life though she would seldom fuss, the nicest house she ever had was an old beat up school bus..

In 1996, I was sitting beside her on her bed. She was dying from cancer had no hair upon her head. Before she went to heaven, she turned to me and said. I love you son, i said i love you too Mom and I kissed her on her head...

My Mom Nov-8-1943 to apri- 25-1996

[+] Rate this post positively

Old 12-10-2010, 09:24 PM

Any way i have been to Missouri many times and really like the trees and the country so im Interested in Missouri.. and i believe its central location would be great for trucking and a small farm where I could raise animals and some crops would be awesome.. The poem above I wrote not long ago about my mom...

Old 12-14-2010, 06:44 PM

380 posts, read 963,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil tatro View Post
I once knew A lady that could do anything, she never had a nice house fancy clothes or A diamond ring.

She wore Blue jeans and boots, and always a hat. She even had a Chain drive wallett! She was comfortable like that..

She could rebuild an engine, also a carburetor,even A starter and an alternator. She could operate Equipment, anything from Skidders to Dozers, swathers and hay bailers..She could fall A tree, Homelite was her favorite saw

She could patch my pants, make Dinner out of almost nothing..Yeah this lady was really something, she often did our laundry in a bucket! She didnt have an easy life though she would seldom fuss, the nicest house she ever had was an old beat up school bus..

In 1996, I was sitting beside her on her bed. She was dying from cancer had no hair upon her head. Before she went to heaven, she turned to me and said. I love you son, i said i love you too Mom and I kissed her on her head...

My Mom Nov-8-1943 to apri- 25-1996
On November 30 my spouse flat-lined twice and was taken to surgery for a triple by-pass. We made it through and are mending but I stayed strong and never cried - 'til now. You've made me cry. God bless you.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:56 PM

Thank you<><
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri