Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 03:59 AM

6 posts, read 43,565 times

Advertisements

I have been debating on Springfield and Columbia and have really been persuaded to check out Columbia a lot more. Just wondering where is a good place to avoid moving to in Columbia? Safety wise. l am a single woman moving there so l wanted some place safe and quiet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 10:48 AM

22 posts, read 112,251 times
I've lived in columbia for over thirty years, and the bad areas haven't changed a whole lot over the years. I guess the easiest way to point out the worst areas would be to list a couple of specific streets and you could mapquest the area. ?

there are a couple of main artery streets that run through the heart of the worst of columbias downtown hood, these are ash and worley (they run parallel to each other).. avoid these streets as well as any streets that run off of them at any cost, as well as anything on north garth.

other streets to avoid like the plague: sexton, banks, switzler, unity, oak, mcbaine, sanford, mikel

most of these run off of ash and worley as well

the standard rule of thumb here is if you are going to live north of broadway............go wayyyy north to the newer subdivisons
hope this helps

Old 07-13-2007, 12:21 PM

Yes that helps a lot!!! Thank you so kindly for your help and information!

Old 07-13-2007, 05:29 PM

there are other shady areas as well, I have listed the worst of the "downtown" area, if you are looking at an area and need an opinion I would be glad to help

good luck!

Old 07-14-2007, 09:40 AM

38 posts, read 229,573 times
What do you mean exactly by avoiding these streets at all costs? I used to drive down Worley all of the time - it's not near as bad as you make it out to be. If shes a single woman, she probably wouldn't feel 100% comfortable walking these areas at night, but during the day I think she'd be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeofhell View Post
I've lived in columbia for over thirty years, and the bad areas haven't changed a whole lot over the years. I guess the easiest way to point out the worst areas would be to list a couple of specific streets and you could mapquest the area. ?

there are a couple of main artery streets that run through the heart of the worst of columbias downtown hood, these are ash and worley (they run parallel to each other).. avoid these streets as well as any streets that run off of them at any cost, as well as anything on north garth.

other streets to avoid like the plague: sexton, banks, switzler, unity, oak, mcbaine, sanford, mikel

most of these run off of ash and worley as well

the standard rule of thumb here is if you are going to live north of broadway............go wayyyy north to the newer subdivisons
hope this helps

Old 07-14-2007, 11:20 AM

l did find an apt complex in the North East part of town on Whitegate Dr that l really liked a lot! l phoned the complex and the girl on the phone was so nice and very helpful. She even lives in the complex herself and said she has never had any problems at all. l just worry about coming home late too as l might have a job where l work 3-11 shift. Or get a call out at 3am and not want to leave the house!

Thanks for all your help l really appreciate it!

Old 07-14-2007, 01:30 PM

11 posts, read 44,744 times
Um, I don't think I would live in the Whitegate complex area. Especially, coming home late at night. There are lots of other options out there. In fact, Columbia has a "glut" of rentals right now. Shouldn't be too hard to find something in a more desirable area.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motraveler View Post
Um, I don't think I would live in the Whitegate complex area. Especially, coming home late at night. There are lots of other options out there. In fact, Columbia has a "glut" of rentals right now. Shouldn't be too hard to find something in a more desirable area.
Thank you very much Motraveler for your honest opinion! l really appreciate it! It's good to have a forum like this where you can get the help you need! Those apts look nice from the pics but one never knows! Thank you again!!

l have been looking on the newspaper ads too. l really can't do anything till l get there so l will just keep my eyes open. Would love to rent a house in the country somewhere but right now that might be a small dream! Will keep looking!

Thanks again!!!

Old 08-17-2007, 09:50 PM

31 posts, read 114,877 times
There's plenty of "country" rentals--homes that are a little outside the Columbia city limits. Actually, there's plenty of rentals, period. Comes from having a large student population.

I'll kind of second edgeofhell about Ash/Worley...they aren't as bad as the streets north of downtwon between the Business Loop and Broadway. Ash and Worley aren't great, but they're better than that...there are some OK rentals there (nearer to Broadway or Again park).

Lived in whitegate for a year about a decade ago; not great, but not horrible. Near shopping and transportation, if that's a priority for you. thing is, there's just a lot of rentals in the area... espeiclaly if you rent between Oct. and April. Students start dropping out and leaving in October; April/May is when 9-month student leases starting expiring.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter85 View Post
What do you mean exactly by avoiding these streets at all costs? I used to drive down Worley all of the time - it's not near as bad as you make it out to be. If shes a single woman, she probably wouldn't feel 100% comfortable walking these areas at night, but during the day I think she'd be fine.
I know a single woman that JUST moved off of worley because of multiple daytime break ins as well as a man staring at her in HER BATHROOM WHILE SHE WAS SHOWERING!!
she started screaming and he ran out, but its still a nightmare

worley is crap, "driving" down worley doesnt mean its not crap, its dangerous, full of crime and crack

I cant imagine anyone not agreeing with that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
View detailed profiles of: