Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 6,924 times

Advertisements

looking at property in so. mo for future retirement. I came across Silva and Greenville that seem to be off of the beaten path, and priced reasonable for 5 - 10 acres. I like to be away from big city population, and the trouble it can bring. I've lived in Minn. my whole life and am tired of the -50 degree temps of winter. I love heat and humidity. Any comments on these areas, or any others in so. mo. that I might want to look at. Cold in MN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 03:21 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,057,109 times
Greetings! Yes, that area is for sure off the beaten path Very rural, laid back - a place to kick back, put your boots on the railing, and watch the lightning bugs dancing in the dark, while counting glimmering stars in the dark sky. Good fishing, hunting, hiking, watering, and some good scenic trips are in that area - along w/ quite rocky land... Wappapello Lake and State Park, Sam Baker and Coldwater St Parks are nice places nearby too. Holler if need more info.

A good ref to also gander about at might be: Missouri's Ozark Heritage Region | Travel, Vacation, Recreation

Old 08-05-2007, 05:25 PM

18 posts, read 42,875 times
Talking Also retired to Missouri...

My husband and I retired to Marshfield, Mo about 2 years ago from California. I has definitely been a "culture shock" even though I lived in Indiana while I was growing up. Marshfield is a nice quiet little town about 30 miles northeast of Springfield, MO. When we moved here, the town had 2 stop lights and 1 of them was at freeway off ramp. We now have a Super Walmart on the opposite side of the freeway so now we have 3. There is a new section of Marshfield that has been developed with 2.5 acres and more that is just beautiful. Every property has trees/wooded area included on their property and it's only 5 miles to the freeway and about 3 miles to town.

Some of the things we hd to look at moving to Missouri is healthcare. Some of the small towns in Missouri do not have much of a choice for health care and emergency care (ambulances) we found were rare in a lot of the small towns. Marshfield does have an ambulance and since it's close to Springfield, they utilize a helicopter to take emergencies to Springfield hospitals.

The medical care in Springfield is excellent. My husband had to have surgery right after we came here and I can recommend Cox Hospital. Their doctors and facilities are much better than the care we got in California... even at UCLA Hospitals...

What I think is so cute with Marshfield is that they still have a "town square" with the Court House in the center.

I guess the hunting is good here because most of the men I talk enjoy some kind of hunting. In the area I live in we have seen quite a bit of wild but not dangerous animals. I have a small tree-lined area behind my house that I call a forest, but I've been told that it's a "wind break"?... anyway, there have been several deer come out of that area, but they haven't bother any plants yet...

The weather here has been good, except for the ice storm we had last January... but I was told that was really rare.

I have found that when tornadoes come to this area, if they come along Hwy.44, they seem to split when they get to Marshfield. The city of Marshfield even has a warning siren for the bad weather to let you know to take note.

This is a nice little town... I'm sorry I went of so much... I think you might like to check out the town of Marshfield, Missouri. We did and we love it!!!

cold in minnesota;1214330]looking at property in so. mo for future retirement. I came across Silva and Greenville that seem to be off of the beaten path, and priced reasonable for 5 - 10 acres. I like to be away from big city population, and the trouble it can bring. I've lived in Minn. my whole life and am tired of the -50 degree temps of winter. I love heat and humidity. Any comments on these areas, or any others in so. mo. that I might want to look at. Cold in MN.[/quote]

Old 08-05-2007, 07:51 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,381,467 times
Smile Welcome!

[quote=P-Nut;1215296]This is a nice little town... I'm sorry I went of so much... I think you might like to check out the town of Marshfield, Missouri. We did and we love it!!!

It is a nice little town...glad you're here! Any chance you'll be able to come to Branson on Friday?

Old 08-05-2007, 09:39 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold in minnesota View Post
looking at property in so. mo for future retirement. I came across Silva and Greenville that seem to be off of the beaten path, and priced reasonable for 5 - 10 acres. I like to be away from big city population, and the trouble it can bring. I've lived in Minn. my whole life and am tired of the -50 degree temps of winter. I love heat and humidity. Any comments on these areas, or any others in so. mo. that I might want to look at. Cold in MN.
I am not sure that Wayne County would be the best area. The county does have cheap land prices but that is because the entire county is economically depressed and has lost many jobs according to the census bureau. The area is VERY isolated from any larger city except for Poplar Bluff. Also, I see you are coming from the Midwest. Wayne County is in southeast Missouri and is basically part of the south. Some areas that I would recommend would be Webster County. This county contains the town of Marshfield along with many smaller towns within driving distance of Springfield, MO. Springfield is the largest town in southern Missouri and has all the services you would need closeby. Other areas that many people like include Stone County and Taney County. These counties contain the Table Rock Reservoir as well as other attractions. However, population densities for these counties are not that high and smaller towns are prevalant. Other posters might have some other good ideas.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:32 PM

41 posts, read 110,234 times
We are from Milwaukee and bought in Ava in Douglas County which is about 1 hour from Springfield and Branson. Ava Missouri Area Chamber of Commerce

Old 09-10-2007, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Greetings! Yes, that area is for sure off the beaten path Very rural, laid back - a place to kick back, put your boots on the railing, and watch the lightning bugs dancing in the dark, while counting glimmering stars in the dark sky. Good fishing, hunting, hiking, watering, and some good scenic trips are in that area - along w/ quite rocky land... Wappapello Lake and State Park, Sam Baker and Coldwater St Parks are nice places nearby too. Holler if need more info.

A good ref to also gander about at might be: Missouri's Ozark Heritage Region | Travel, Vacation, Recreation
Sounds exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks for you info. I'm working on an offer for the land I want. cold in minnesota

Old 09-10-2007, 12:52 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,057,109 times
Quote:
Sounds exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks for you info. I'm working on an offer for the land I want. cold in minnesota
You are quite welcome! Please, feel more than free to share any updates, photos, etc. of your endeavor and (future) property, as you make your way to Missouri.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:17 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Quote:
Have you been down in this part of Missouri? It is definitely NOT like the Midwest at all. I am not saying this is a bad thing, but it will likely be a huge culture shock if you are coming from Minnesota, which is in the Midwest. Southeast Missouri is southern to the core, and the rural areas do not usually have the services that you would expect to find compared with rural Minnesota. Wayne County is one of the most economically depressed counties in all of southeast Missouri. Just make sure you visit the area before you move there. Rural Missouri is generally not economically vibrant at all compared with rural areas of Minnesota based on my experiences.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:49 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,381,467 times
Hello again my shivverin' friend...Plains 10 has a good point.

Even in my "area" if you drive winding 2 lane roads about 45-55 minutes, you can find a remote little corner of the Ozarks that might suit your fancy, but still be within a helicopter ride of the hospital or an easy weekly trip for groceries.

Might be a good ideee to identify a good major town and then draw a big circle around it...find something in an "outlying" area.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri