Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 11:02 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,317,420 times

Advertisements

Curmudgeon...Thanks for your post and explanations etc..I've never liked hearing "big city people" toss around terms like "hillbillies" or "hicks" etc...Talk about arrogance! And being insensitive and ignorant etc..I lived in Orange Co. CA for awhile and heard these terms used too much!...Why do people who seem to "have a lot" need to put others "down?"...It always reminds me of teenage movies where some of the rich and popular kids in high-school spend their days making fun of overweight kids or poor kids or kids they consider to be "nerds" etc...Why do people who seem to "have it made" in so many ways need to "make fun" of anyone? This has always stumped me!..When I tell my closest friends that I am thinking about moving near relatives in rural Western Kansas they are happy for me and supportive. But I've run into some "snide comments" from acquaintances. It all seems like a "big joke" to them! They don't have any "manners!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 01:44 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Curmudgeon...Thanks for your post and explanations etc..I've never liked hearing "big city people" toss around terms like "hillbillies" or "hicks" etc...Talk about arrogance! And being insensitive and ignorant etc..I lived in Orange Co. CA for awhile and heard these terms used too much!...Why do people who seem to "have a lot" need to put others "down?"...It always reminds me of teenage movies where some of the rich and popular kids in high-school spend their days making fun of overweight kids or poor kids or kids they consider to be "nerds" etc...Why do people who seem to "have it made" in so many ways need to "make fun" of anyone? This has always stumped me!..When I tell my closest friends that I am thinking about moving near relatives in rural Western Kansas they are happy for me and supportive. But I've run into some "snide comments" from acquaintances. It all seems like a "big joke" to them! They don't have any "manners!"
Too funny. I was raised in Newport Beach, on Lido Isle, from age 5 until I enlisted at age 19 with a few breaks thanks to my father's military career. While not as bad back then as it is now there was plenty of "snob value" going around.

During my misspent youth I was born in San Diego, lived in AL, NC twice, VA, mainland China and Japan and attended a prep-school in MN, but CA was always home. People there only knew storybook rednecks and hillbillies and there was always disdain for them.

During my adulthood, in addition to one other country where people had a bad habit of shooting at me, I also resided in GA, KY, Texas twice and VA again before returning to CA - SoCal, the Central Valley and NorCal. Still the same disdain.

Without putting too fine an edge on it, suffice it to say my wife and I "returned" to the hill country willingly and purposely. She was a midwife in the Ozarks for seven years back in the 70s, then in the California Gold Country. I simply wished to return to America where people have a simple, patriotic, family-centered value-set I felt had disappeared on the left coast.

So far we've not been disappointed. This is truly home.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 04-10-2012 at 03:11 PM..

Old 04-10-2012, 02:20 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,098,363 times
Missouri doesn't really deserve to be stereotyped as a hillbilly state, especially since half of it doesn't have them!

Old 04-10-2012, 02:24 PM

492 posts, read 631,361 times
I have a friend that moved from Iowa to mid Mo to begin her teaching career. When she told her family that she had met the man she was going to marry, they fully expected him to be wearing overalls, barefoot and uneducated. I begged him to dress the part when they came to meet him. LOL

Old 04-10-2012, 02:52 PM

971 posts, read 1,454,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
As am I. Let them land and polute elsewhere.
We would surely welcome them as we welcomed you Curmudgeon. I have been amused everytime I sold property to a state neighbor who said, "We are here now, time to close the gate".

Had we not experienced the influx of other states neighbors, we wouldn't have the increase of our new standard of living. It wasn't so long ago that we couldn't afford to build a new house on credit. We could pay the house payments, it was the insurance payments we couldn't afford. Thanks to all the new people we now have fire departments and a new house. Thanks to all that have helped our standard of living.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7gkids View Post
I have a friend that moved from Iowa to mid Mo to begin her teaching career. When she told her family that she had met the man she was going to marry, they fully expected him to be wearing overalls, barefoot and uneducated. I begged him to dress the part when they came to meet him. LOL
Wouldn't work. He'd have had to have some prominent teeth pulled to fit the stereotype.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
We would surely welcome them as we welcomed you Curmudgeon. I have been amused everytime I sold property to a state neighbor who said, "We are here now, time to close the gate".

Had we not experienced the influx of other states neighbors, we wouldn't have the increase of our new standard of living. It wasn't so long ago that we couldn't afford to build a new house on credit. We could pay the house payments, it was the insurance payments we couldn't afford. Thanks to all the new people we now have fire departments and a new house. Thanks to all that have helped our standard of living.
Fell in love with the Ozarks in the 50s; my wife did so in the 70s. Standard of livin' is fine. Close the gates!

Old 04-10-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Fell in love with the Ozarks in the 50s; my wife did so in the 70s. Standard of livin' is fine. Close the gates!
Glad your here neighbor. Like you posted, I also like to wake up in the mornings and look at the water. Hope to meet you sometime.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
Glad your here neighbor. Like you posted, I also like to wake up in the mornings and look at the water. Hope to meet you sometime.
Name yur poison. Pizza or coffee!

Old 04-10-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Name yur poison. Pizza or coffee!
LOL What ever will be ...............will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri