Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2012, 09:32 PM

30 posts, read 54,261 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow city-data posters. I'm a young, mid-20s professional male who has been offered a job in St. Joseph. I'm moving from the St. Louis area within the next couple weeks. The job is just too good for me to turn down. But I really don't know much about it, other than it's a small city with a nice little downtown and is not far north of Kansas City. I am much more familiar with Kansas City. I've been there once and it seemed alright. So here are the questions...

1) How's the young professional single scene?
2) Should I live in St. Joseph, or should I live in the Kansas City metro area?
3) If I decide on St. Joseph, could someone suggest some good neighborhoods with other young singles?

I'm looking forward to starting my new job. Just need a little advice. Please be brutally honest with your answers, I want the real scoop!

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 04:13 PM

914 posts, read 2,205,866 times
Although I do not live there, I have worked regularly in St. Joseph for 25 years. This is the first time I have ever heard anyone suggest St. Joseph might have a "scene", of any sort. But then, I am far from being a young professional.

Many people commute daily between St. Joseph and Kansas City - both directions. The problem with living in the Kansas City Metro area is you will likely want to live rather farther south in K.C. than most commuters. It could easily get to be an hour plus each way. If you find you do not care for St. Joseph (I hate, and refuse to use the diminutive "St. Joe") there are several other communities near enough for an easy commute in both Missouri and Kansas. The highways are excellent in all directions.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:58 AM

709 posts, read 1,492,510 times
If you're concerned about the young single scene, then I think you would definitely want to live in KC.

I don't have much personal experience with St. Joeseph, but I do have a friend who is from there and he has only negative things to say when it comes to the culture and the scene. He still has a home there (he has joint custody of a kid so it's a necessity) but he spends as much time as possible at his place in KC. He works in south KC and doesn't seem to complain too much about the commute.

I guess it ultimately comes down to your tolerance for commuting. From downtown KC to St. Joe is around 50 minutes and from the northern burbs, it's more like 30 minutes. So if you don't mind driving that much, then go with KC.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:03 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
^I haven't done the commute, but I would have thought it would be a little longer. Zona Rosa seems like a decent split of the difference, but Google Maps calls that a 45-minute commute. They always seem to err a little on the conservative side, but I'm thinking 35-40 minutes is probably the minimum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri