Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 08:36 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,865,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLviaMSP View Post
Open your eyes and tell me with a straight face that there has been enough redistribution. There hasn't, and we know for a fact that social mobility has stagnated and opportunity as measured in average wages has declined in inflation adjusted dollars. There are too many people working low paying service jobs today, that even a generation ago would have at least been working in lower-middle income jobs that provided some sense of security. Poverty has been increasing, and there are what, four or six applicants for every job opening? The good jobs for the masses appear to be mostly gone, and if we as a culture - and this is directed at those people in the position to hire and make payroll decisions for these low level workers - aren't going to take action to resolve this MAJOR problem (which will bite us all in the ass in the form of crime, economic decline, and municipal collapse), then the wealthiest people deserve to have a significant portion of their income pushed back into the economy and towards those that have little to no money and few graspable opportunities, to ensure that we do not become a feudally bifurcated society with all the third world problems that entails.

That lazy SOB you complain about is lazy because he perceives that despite his increased productivity, he has been getting a shrinking share of the pie. That is very dangerous for society.
So which is it? Better paying jobs for those of us on the lower end, or simply force rich people to give me money? The first fosters self-esteem and pride of workmanship/ownership, the latter fosters laziness and entitlement, not to mention the greater likelihood of the social ills you speak of. People who are hard workers are far less likely to be criminals. History is somber proof that welfare/forced redistribution never, ever comes with a lower crime rate. Quite the opposite.
You say if we can't have one, then force the other. I say the welfare option would indeed turn us into that third-world country you speak of. Rich and poor and nothing else. Welfare to that extent is what we fight against and should not be an option on the table. You can't just tax the rich out of spite and expect it to produce good results. At some point, there will not be enough money floating around to redistribute.

Seems like liberals and conservatives fall on both sides of the issue of bringing back blue-collar jobs for the masses. We aren't all college material and born to live in a cubicle. So yeah, losing those jobs has hurt. Obama gave it lip service once upon a time, but his ideology would get in the way of any true progress and Republicans have their own faults on the issue.
Oh well. That's a whole other discussion.

Last edited by northbound74; 12-10-2013 at 08:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 08:56 PM

320 posts, read 611,281 times
So...conservatives think the unemployed and the poor need less money in order to be adequately motivated, while the rich and wealthy need more money for adequate motivation? I just want to make sure I am correctly summing up the last two posts. And it's time for a laughter break.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:11 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,865,367 times
No, they need job opportunities, not free endless cash. And you know good and well that we're not talking about giving them less or more in order to be motivated. The issue is role of government in all of it. Me? Yeah, I'd be more motivated to improve my situation if money was running out, but I can't speak for everyone.
The rich and wealthy appear to be doing just fine. Tax them all you want (I don't care that much personally, since I'm anything but rich), but it won't produce the results you seek.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:27 PM

Why is it that the rich need tax breaks, but those that are not even really getting by need less? The rich have historically low taxes. They aren't creating the jobs those low taxes were supposed to compel them to create. Thus they are not upholding their end of the bargain and need to be taxed more so that money can be put to use growing the economy.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:12 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,022,474 times
Default This is neat: Jeff City schools illustrate choices that need to be made due to Obamacare...

pay fines, or scale back hours, teachers, etc.....

KMIZ-MO: Missouri Schools Facing $150,000 In Fines, Cutting Hours For Teachers Due To ObamaCare - YouTube

And a Missouri connection to boot.

I guess Obamacare is the new trickle down economics! I'll take the Reagan version myself.

AND NOW WE LEARN 50% of the uninsured - you know, the ones the law was supposed to help - disapprove of the law.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...eliana-johnson

Last edited by MUTGR; 12-11-2013 at 09:35 AM..

Old 12-11-2013, 02:46 PM

662 posts, read 1,228,979 times
Quote:
So...conservatives think the unemployed and the poor need less money in order to be adequately motivated, while the rich and wealthy need more money for adequate motivation? I just want to make sure I am correctly summing up the last two posts. And it's time for a laughter break.
It's only funny to you since you apparently understand the situation so poorly that you miss the entire point we are trying to get across. The old parable "give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will feed himself for the rest of his life" describes the situation perfectly.

Somebody who is simply given handouts for little to nothing will continue to expect to receive it for little or nothing and will not make much of an effort to try to become self-sufficient, let alone prosper. This is what the statists want as the people receiving the handouts become dependent on the handouts and the statists and the government to give them the handouts, forever cementing them in power. The statists frequently try to hinder anybody in trying to be independently successful by levying punitive taxes, fees, fines, and regulations upon them, lest too many people become self-sufficient and reduce the need for the huge overbearing government. Conversely, conservatives would rather have a good environment for people to attempt to succeed in their own endeavours.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:48 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,247,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover_Country View Post
It's only funny to you since you apparently understand the situation so poorly that you miss the entire point we are trying to get across. The old parable "give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will feed himself for the rest of his life" describes the situation perfectly.

Somebody who is simply given handouts for little to nothing will continue to expect to receive it for little or nothing and will not make much of an effort to try to become self-sufficient, let alone prosper. This is what the statists want as the people receiving the handouts become dependent on the handouts and the statists and the government to give them the handouts, forever cementing them in power. The statists frequently try to hinder anybody in trying to be independently successful by levying punitive taxes, fees, fines, and regulations upon them, lest too many people become self-sufficient and reduce the need for the huge overbearing government. Conversely, conservatives would rather have a good environment for people to attempt to succeed in their own endeavours.
I think that only RWNJ's believe the stuff you are putting out.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:52 PM

662 posts, read 1,228,979 times
Feel free to try to prove me wrong. I bet that you can't.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:53 AM

So if the private sector isn't producing jobs, it's better to just let the unemployed rot than to tax the wealthy that aren't investing or corps that are sitting on record piles of cash than to use tax policy to pull enough of this money into the economy to make a dent as stimulus? What? What?!!!?! What!??!?! And we also shouldn't give the poor/unemployed money to spend, since that will, you know, mess up their self esteem (even though that money will all get spent, in the process creating, you know, those j-things)? Where do you get this stuff? It's comedy gold.

Oh, and I got my insurance information for the new year: 35% ($2300) decrease in our premiums, $500 increase in deductible - $1800 net savings. Same coverage. Oooohhh, that meddling Obama! And I had no increase last year for pretty much the first time ever.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:55 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,209,482 times
Quote:
Well, the Whigs...er I mean...GOP, won't matter outside the south and far west in a couple election cycles anyway. Unfortunately in the interim they are knuckle-dragging a few once-great Midwest states down with their gun loving, anti-science, low-wage, low-education, low-civil-rights, Baptist fundamentalist idiocy. It's a shame, and they should be ashamed of themselves for doing it. It's no use arguing with them, however, as they are incapable of processing facts that don't align with their conspiracy-theories.
You will absolutely turn our conservative heads with such flattery...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri