Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 06:34 PM

26,432 posts, read 46,652,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Well, fellow Missourians, its time to put away those shorts, swimsuits, and t-shirts, because winter is officially here. It is supposed to get much colder this week and there is a chance of snow from Joplin and points northward and northeastward this thanksgiving. In St. Louis there is a 60 percent chance of rain and snow wednesday night and a possible snow shower wednesday...in Rolla, KAnsas City, Springfield, Joplin, St. Louis, and most of Missouri, old man winter has arrived. There seems to be a chance of snow, even if only slight, for most of the state this week. It's about time if you ask me...what do you hope happens this winter?
Unfortunately, this winter will probably have ABOVE average temperatures again because of the strengthening La Nina event in the Pacific.
The winter temperatures seem like they keep getting warmer year after year.
I like to enjoy winter sports, and really can not do that at all around here anymore. I remember that it was much colder 20+ years ago with low temperatures in the winter that were commonly below zero. Now, we are lucky to get a couple days at the most each winter with sub-zero temperatures.
My favorite type of weather is one that features clear skies, calm winds, deep snowcover, and sub-zero temperatures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 06:39 PM

26,432 posts, read 46,652,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Right now it is extremely warm for November. In a few days, I think you'll be singing a different tune On Thursday, St. Louis will have a high of 38 degrees and a low of 24 degrees fahrenheit. Joplin has a 40 percent chance of snow sometime this week, and it's lows are supposed to be below freezing later this week. check out wunderground.com and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I did see the extended weather forecast. I am a weather junkie I took some meteorology classes in College, and understand how to analyze some of the computer models. I see a trend toward normal temperatures over the next 1-2 weeks with some potential arctic air if the flow pattern in the Pacific Ocean amplifies.

Here is the model analyses and forecasts page:
NCEP Central Operations

Be aware that the computer models can be addicting, especially when an exciting storm or frontal boundary is approaching your area!

Old 11-19-2007, 07:57 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,066,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Bring on the nordic cold!
I am one of those "weird" people that dislikes the heat
lol - I do indeed like the cold too, except when out there scraping the freezing rain off the vehicle, your hands turning as blue as the Arctic iceburg, as the bitter harsh wind cuts and slices through your polar rated down filled coat, over your down vest, couple sweatshirts, polypro unders, etc... A cool breeze, even a nice frigid cold one, is indeed refreshing, esp. when its filled with a hint of moisture. Makes your lungs feel alive, as the air carries to your soul, the air relighting your inner fires...

btw, thanks for the NCEP link - I too am a weather junkie... Don't understand it all, but love to read/study and watch it unfold.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:20 PM

543 posts, read 2,312,197 times
Thank heavens its finally going to get cold. I'm another one that hates the heat. I used the AC in my car today it was so uncomfortable. Told grandson make sure to pack warm clothes if he stays with me Wednesday. Lots of errands to run and its supposed to rain. A fun day of running here there and everywhere in a cold rain. We'll have fun though. My dad decided not to come for Thanksgiving. He lives at the lake and he no longer likes to drive those roads at night especially with the forecast.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:43 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,554,691 times
Quote:
posted by Northbayeric -Mickey Mouse boots? Silly old bear! I LOVE it. Hopefully I'll find a pair on sale over at the Shoppes at North Village or at the East Hills Mall in ol' Saint Joe when the time comes! They've gotta come in a size 12 for me.
This isn't a joke here. Here check it out:DoingBusiness - Lots 166 - 224 Mickey Mouse Boots (http://www.michigan.gov/doingbusiness/0,1607,7-146-6562-76915--,00.html - broken link)

See I ain't lying....These are for really cold weather....

Old 11-19-2007, 09:19 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,658,921 times
Thanks for sharing that, ajf! They're forecasting such a big drop in temps! If I understand it correctly, the storm that is coming here is in WA, I think.

You mentioned wunderground in one of your posts...a.k.a. Weather Underground, for the uninformed. I thought I'd give a link to their site.

First of all, here's a link to Moses Lake, WA's page: Moses Lake, Washington (98837) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

Also, here's Springfield's page for those of you who are interested in seeing that one: Springfield, Missouri (65801) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

Want to see YOUR area??? Once you're at the site, you'll see a box to type in your city name and state or just put in your zip code. Above the box, it says, "Find the Weather for any City, State or ZIP Code, or Airport Code or Country" It's the most accurate information I've ever seen. Hope you like it, too!

Old 11-19-2007, 09:22 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,454,254 times
I learn something new every day! See, I thought your husband was going to be wearing boots with Mickey and Minnie Mouse, or maybe even Donald Duck and Pluto on them. These boots, my goodness! They look like they would protect your feet when it's 30 or 40 below outside. And...they come in a size 12! But only a bit over 5,000 pairs are going to be sold. Too bad they aren't selling 5,000 size 12s, another 5,000 size 11s, another 5,000 size 10s, and so on and so forth. Well good for the Michigan state government, anyway. Hopefully you don't have to be a Michigan resident to buy a pair of these Mickey Mouse boots.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:27 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,454,254 times
Hi Mrs. G., the Weather Channel's site features the same thing in that you can enter your ZIP code. But I'll have to check the weather underground site more often. Its forecasts might be more accurate. Let's see...well St. Joseph's low Thursday temperature keeps getting revised upward, from 12 degrees forecast by the Weather Channel yesterday to 20 degrees forecast right now on wunderground. That's still much colder than it's been! http://bestsmileys.com/cold/11.gif (broken link)

Old 11-19-2007, 09:34 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,638,818 times
I'm looking forward to the cold weather too...this wearin' tank tops in November while living in SWMO just ain't natural

Old 11-19-2007, 09:46 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,066,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
I learn something new every day! See, I thought your husband was going to be wearing boots with Mickey and Minnie Mouse, or maybe even Donald Duck and Pluto on them. These boots, my goodness! They look like they would protect your feet when it's 30 or 40 below outside. And...they come in a size 12! But only a bit over 5,000 pairs are going to be sold. Too bad they aren't selling 5,000 size 12s, another 5,000 size 11s, another 5,000 size 10s, and so on and so forth. Well good for the Michigan state government, anyway. Hopefully you don't have to be a Michigan resident to buy a pair of these Mickey Mouse boots.
Amazon, Colemans Surplus, Military Trail, etc. carry 'em too...

Oh, and just for you, a day after that infamous mouse's 79th birthday yesterday:

ps: for those interested, and to tie this into MO relevancy the man who actually created this mouse 'beloved by millions', was born in none other than the city of fountains... Kansas City, MO; a gentleman by the name of Ub Iwerks [actual spelling Ubbe Ert Iwwerks]- his people hailed from East Frisia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia {btw, sad yet interesting about their language, and their culture}.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri