Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:32 AM

69 posts, read 237,047 times

Advertisements

Why are they rarely used in this state? Would it really be that hard to let the drivers on the road know what you plan to do? Yet, not even police follow this simple regulation.

Also, why do Missouri drivers act like cutting someone off when two lanes become one is a right? The way I see it, you have plenty of time to see that people are merging, it is your responsibility to find someone to let you in before it becomes a necessity. When it's done with no turn signal at all, that makes it even worse.

Third, why do drivers pull straight into the left lane when making a right turn at an intersection that offers a yield lane? The lane is there to allow traffic to freely flow into the right lane. Instead, drivers who want the left lane sit at a yield lane because their lane of choice is not free. I just do not understand the mindset of most Missouri drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 02:52 PM

774 posts, read 1,418,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk112005 View Post
Why are they rarely used in this state? Would it really be that hard to let the drivers on the road know what you plan to do? Yet, not even police follow this simple regulation.

Also, why do Missouri drivers act like cutting someone off when two lanes become one is a right? The way I see it, you have plenty of time to see that people are merging, it is your responsibility to find someone to let you in before it becomes a necessity. When it's done with no turn signal at all, that makes it even worse.

Third, why do drivers pull straight into the left lane when making a right turn at an intersection that offers a yield lane? The lane is there to allow traffic to freely flow into the right lane. Instead, drivers who want the left lane sit at a yield lane because their lane of choice is not free. I just do not understand the mindset of most Missouri drivers.

I don't think this is just a Missouri problem. But, what I have noticed especially here in Sw Missouri, is that most people drive in the middle of the road. Maybe because there are no guard rails or very few and the drop-offs at the side of the roads are terrible. It was hard to get use to having people come at you partway in your lane especially around curves.

Of course if you read the thread "Uneducated people and drugs" it might give you a clue as to what's wrong with Missouri people.....LOL

Old 03-25-2008, 03:36 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,895,640 times
The reason we drive in the middle of the road should be obvious, as meth heads we all have white line fever and can't help but follow the white line trying to snort it up!

Don't worry though, we are easily distracted by local taverns and tend to pull over (no signal required, everyone does know where we are going!) whenever one pops up so we can toss down a few longnecks.

I do agree about the merge lane issue, the ID10Ts that wait until the end looking for a place to dart in T me off.

The ones that kill me are the folks who drive slow in the fast lane. If you see someone coming up behind you and no one is on your right....MOVE OVER!!! jeez...

Old 03-25-2008, 03:44 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,496,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk112005 View Post

Sounds like Los Angeles

Old 03-25-2008, 04:35 PM

69 posts, read 237,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
The reason we drive in the middle of the road should be obvious, as meth heads we all have white line fever and can't help but follow the white line trying to snort it up!

Don't worry though, we are easily distracted by local taverns and tend to pull over (no signal required, everyone does know where we are going!) whenever one pops up so we can toss down a few longnecks.

I do agree about the merge lane issue, the ID10Ts that wait until the end looking for a place to dart in T me off.

The ones that kill me are the folks who drive slow in the fast lane. If you see someone coming up behind you and no one is on your right....MOVE OVER!!! jeez...
On the merge issue, as a rule of thumb, if someone has the signal on and has been trying to get in, I will let them in. No signal, I do not let them in. It is your own fault, do not expect sympathy.

On the turn signal issue, the main problem is lane changing. Occasionally, I will speed up because I have an open lane, and the traffic in the other lane all appears to be going the same way. Then out of nowhere, a guy fails to signal and cuts me off, forcing me to slow down. If he had signaled, I could have planned for it and slowed much easier and safer. It's just the desire to avoid an accident that really ticks me off about it.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:08 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,471,659 times
My husband is guilty of not using his turn signal to let other people know he wants to change lanes, so they can let him in. He just hollers "ok people, let me over!" I figure, they aren't mind readers, a signal makes it clear what your intentions are. Of course, in Dallas one click means they are coming over ready or not!
My mom is getting scared of the trucks on I-44. And now she has started SLOWING DOWN on the highway, to let cars from the on-ramp onto the highway! She has an irrational fear that they won't see her and will sideswipe her while merging. I tried to explain (emphatically) that slowing down will get her rear-ended and it confuses the people on the on-ramp (should I cut in front of her, or slow down and get in behind?). I told her she's not following the rules, she's making her own and that causes accidents. I'm encouraging her to avoid the Interstate altogether and take the back roads....

Old 03-27-2008, 09:51 AM

48 posts, read 169,034 times
When I moved out to CA my wife informed me of the California rolling stop. Quite common to see people just roll through the stop signs instead of the complete stop.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:23 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,575,909 times
Rolling stops are quite common in St. Louis, where I am from. Whenever I have visited San Diego, I felt right at home.

Turn signal usage is a problem not just in Missouri. One should not judge the entire state by the actions of incidents that occur in a few areas constantly. I will agree that I find it very frustrating to have a guy put the brakes on and then the turn signal. Hopefully it will be for the correct direction. Ok, not just 'guys'.

And I always put my turn signal on whenever I pull into the local pubs. Always. Well, that is if I am awake and semi-conscience.

I have driven from St. Louis to San Diego, to Jacksonville, FL, to Chicago, to Indiana, and many other cities the last few years. Drivers everywhere exhibit less than perfect driving habits. It is not just a Missouri phenomenon.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:56 AM

93 posts, read 305,356 times
Yeah, there's a dearth of turn signals here in Arizona as well. The hand signals, however, are in abundance, just not the kind that let you know they're going to make a turn.

There's the pumping the fist in air hand signal; the "I'm shooting you with my finger pistol" signal; the omnipresent middle finger, sometimes with both hands; and my personal favorite, the pounding on your window with closed fists signal, unless you're just really lucky and get the guy with the gun pointed at your head signal, that's a good one too.

I'm not trying to downplay your frustration, but I gotta tell ya, give me those rude Missouri drivers any day of the week!

Old 03-27-2008, 11:14 AM

321 posts, read 920,867 times
Heck, ya'll should come to Massachusetts where I have lived for the past 7 years. Hands down Mass drivers are the worst - I have driven in many places in my lifetime and can confirm this!

Here are my two personal favorite traffic moves (yes, these moves happen regularly here)

1. Main road, I'm toodling along, see a car on the side street or parking lot wanting to pull out, they look at me, look the other way, look at me again......look at me.......look at me.......wait until I'm almost there and THEN pull out causing me to SLAM on my brakes (yes, I am going the speed limit). I blow my horn and they look at me "surprised" or I get the international sign of the finger Nice.

2. Main road, busy traffic flowing both ways, several cars trying to enter the main road from a side street, someone on the main road decides to be traffic cop, STOPS their car just before the side street (mind you there's no stop sign or traffic light, they just stop), flashes their headlights advising it's OK for the cars on the side street to c'mon out, side street cars look confused but come out and sit in the middle of the road because the traffic coming from the other direction is still coming (meanwhile me and everyone behind is WAITING), side street cars edge out edge out and finally edge into the other lane forcing the oncoming lane that doesn't have an idiot blocking them to STOP and let them in. No waving thanks, no nothing they just go, multiple cars - meanwhile I am still WAITING until self designated traffic cop has decided that enough cars have come out and hits the gas again allowing traffic to flow freely again.

However my favorite Nationwide traffic move are the folks who feel they don't have to wait when there's construction or something going on and we all have to wait in line to merge - I love those folks that just bypass the entire line and expect to be let in. Those are the times when I wish I had a tank

Yep, I love driving in Massachusetts I've driven in MO and I'll soon be living there - MO has pretty good drivers in my book!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri