Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2008, 10:23 AM

2 posts, read 5,723 times

Advertisements

I have never been to Missouri and I will be visiting Moberly next week. We are looking into possible relocation. Although I have seen some pics, are there trees/woodsy areas? Camping? Shopping? Dining?
Florida has nice beaches but that's about all I can say about it. Haven't been very happy since moving here. People arn't very friendly...but Disney World is fun (the first couple times).
Any information anyone could offer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 10:24 PM

47 posts, read 232,074 times
Hi Mrs. G
I got your request and here I am I have never lived in Moberly, have visited, shopped and can give you my perspective! I have lived in Florida for a few years as a youngster though
Moberly has woods, trees, grass and all that comes with it. Not very hilly and surrounded by farmland. There is a large junior college in town which offers community classes as well as standard english/math education. There is also a nice city park that has public swimming pool, fishing lake, "little" train run by volunteers for the children. As far as major employers; there are several distribution centers (Walmart, etc). There is a hospital, there is no mall. For shopping, there are locally owned stores as well as a Super Walmart. There are lakes around the area that offer camping, hiking, etc. I would personally qualify the area as slightly repressed and affordable housing is available. Moberly is located only 30 minutes north of Columbia via Highway 63. Columbia has three major hospitals, an airport, the University of Missouri, Target, Dillards, Macys, Old Navy, JcPenney, Sears, etc.

If you are looking for a smaller town in which to live, there are several options located between Moberly and Columbia. Many have active Senior Centers, churches, golf courses, etc. You could look at Clark, Sturgeon or Centralia. Centralia is the biggest of those three and is around 3,000 people. There is a womans league, country club (golf, pool, restaurant), chuches, senior center, etc.

While you are here, you may enjoy a trip to the Clark Amish Community. Located north of Sturgeon, it is enjoyable to tour and get a glimpse of the simplicity and community spirit. Take Highway 63 to Highway 22. Go East on 22 to State Road Y. Head north on Y and the community surrounds that area. You will find homes that may sell bakery products, quilts, crafts, etc. If they have something for sale, they will post a sign on their mail box or near the road. There is also a Amish General Store, but I'm not sure I remember how to get there! They have wonderful baked goods and cheeses.

Hope this helps and sorry to ramble Any other questions, you can e-mail me directly! Enjoy your visit!

Last edited by jrhartwick; 03-30-2008 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 03-30-2008, 11:16 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,655,663 times
Great post, jrhartwick! You rock! And you didn't ramble a bit! I'm sure hapitobeeme would love to hear more!

Okay, so maybe a little explanation is in order...

If you wonder why she mentioned me since I am not listed here, your thinking is correct...but...well, I did something I've never done. I noticed that no one had responded to this post and since I didn't have any answers to offer and noticed that the title didn't mention Moberly, I set about to find someone who had posted about it and tell them about the thread. It's a weird thing to do and probably confused her a bit so I thought I'd better explain.

I found jrhartwick and sent her a direct message telling her about the thread and asked her to offer her help. She did a great job, I think. Don't you agree?

Enjoy your visit! I hope it is also productive!

MrsG

Old 03-31-2008, 05:51 AM

2 posts, read 5,723 times
Default Thank you so much!

Thank you for the insight! The information will be very helpful! I have read hours of threads trying to find what Missouri is like. I have traveled several states from California to Florida but have never had the chance to see any of the central states.
My husband is in the medical field and I am an elementary school teacher. The possibility of relocation to Moberly is likely, but I do not want to make ANY hasty decisions, especially since we have a young child and do not want to keep moving him from school to school.
I have noticed real estate is very affordable especially if you compare it to what a home of the same quality/type from Florida!
Thanks again and I welcome any other information that could provided as well, I love rambling.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:26 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
If you don't mind the commute and want more of a "small city" feel rather than a "big town" Columbia might well be a good option for you. Housing is still relatively inexpensive, but you'd have access to all the city amenities like a mall, movie theaters, and a cute walkable downtown with shops, restaurants, bars and art galleries. There are many lovely parks there as well. There's plenty of threads on Columbia so I'd urge you to do a search and check them out.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:26 PM

47 posts, read 232,074 times
Also, plenty of job opportunities in Columbia for people in the healthcare field. Three major hospitals and what I like to call, the medical "capital" of mid-missouri! The university does have a highly rated medical school, nursing school. The university also runs Columbia Regional Hospital. They have moved Labor and Delivery over to Columbia Regional.

Many people commute from Columbia to Moberly and vice versa. Not a bad commute at all. Four lane divided highway in both directions. The real estate would be less expensive in Moberly, but would still be considered affordable in Columbia and other surrounding cities.

Columbia will be opening a new elemntary school soon as well!

There are many trees, grass, creeks, lakes and hills. No mountains of course It is humid in the summer, but you should be used to that in Florida. We lived in Gainsville for a few years when I was a kid and I can remember the humidity there too!

Columbia is a very walkable city; many walking/biking trails and a wonderful parks and recreation department. There are many swimming lakes, pools, and water features for the kids. Great summer activities for the kids.

Both Columbia and Moberly have some beautiful historic homes and quaint shops. Columbia by FAR has much more shopping; antiques, boutiques, etc.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri