Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2018, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,625 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

My wife (black) and I (white) are very interested in living in a small town in the southwest MO area. Our goal is the quiet country life where we can homestead, raise animals, grow our own food, and feel safe while doing so. We are not very particular on the location other than that.

We were very curious if any one out there has experience with racism or (hopefully) lack there of in this general area? Most of the info we see are in regards to race relations in the bigger cities in MO.

We are fully aware that no matter where you move there is always the odd ball jerk who has a problem with it but we are more curious about the blatant and the offensive. We are from Texas so it is not like we have not seen lingering stares but we have actually never had to deal with much more than that and we have lived in cities both big and small.

Any and all advice that you all could provide would really help us decide if this is the state / area for us. Please include the area of your experience in your response (i.e. county/city.) Also if any of you have a good area for the homesteader lifestyle let us know.

Thanks in advance to any who take the time to answer this question! You will be helping us out immensely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 06:27 PM

44 posts, read 52,592 times
Hey there,

I am in Texas County and have been here for 2 yrs. I was another year in Carter county (SEMO). 35 yrs in Seattle previous to that. I'm a 51 yr old white chick so I don't have the full range of experience to give you but my answer would be... consider with caution.

I have landmates who have an mixed race son. Since they have moved here in August they have had a woman stand in front of them and rant about how black people should be killed and then asked if his mom "gave birth to that"

I have had to kick two people off my land and I have ended 3 budding friendships over ongoing use of "N****R" and/or racist talk.

It's very pale here. And it because it is so pale here it isn't the first topic of conversation so it can sneak up on you (hence the 3 friendships). I find myself really excited to see POC in town on the rare occasions I do. Which probably reads as creepy as f*ck to them.

I came for the land and I go into town as little as possible because of the above (and a few other things like I'm Wiccan).

Consider around Columbia or St. Louis.. far enough out that you are still country (it happens very quickly around here as you drive out of town) but close enough to a larger more ... accepting, population.

Good luck and if you make it out here... Look me up!

Old 11-24-2018, 07:09 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
I live in Vernon County. Not much racism here. We have a college with a bunch of international students every year. So people of all different colors are common.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:03 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchcat View Post
Hey there,

I am in Texas County and

... Look me up!
As there are over 100 black people in your county (according to the census) and you aren't all that far from Springfield and Ft Lenardwood (both have substantial populations of all races) you must have found the six most ignorant people in your area. Thanks for standing up to them.

As for being wiccan, I understand a lot of christians who don't know their own Bible (I am a Christian who does know my Bible) will give you trouble if they know you are wiccan. My apologies. I have never had much problem with pagans, druids, or wiccans, so I can't understand treating them with anything but kindness. We don't have to agree to get along.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:54 AM

44 posts, read 52,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
As there are over 100 black people in your county (according to the census) and you aren't all that far from Springfield and Ft Lenardwood (both have substantial populations of all races) you must have found the six most ignorant people in your area. Thanks for standing up to them.
Ok.. not completely sarcastically but maybe more than a little.. Ohhh all of a 100 in a country of 25K (as of 2017).

I have new neighbors who are black but aside from passing her on our road from time to time or my landmates son I go weeks without seeing a POC in the 5 towns (and 3 counties) I go to on a every few days basis.

I truly TRULY wish those were the 6 isolated folks around here... those were just the ones I couldn't just walk off from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
As for being wiccan, I understand a lot of christians who don't know their own Bible (I am a Christian who does know my Bible) will give you trouble if they know you are wiccan. My apologies. I have never had much problem with pagans, druids, or wiccans, so I can't understand treating them with anything but kindness. We don't have to agree to get along.
Thank you... that I do appreciate. I've been kicked out of 2 businesses (A youth center and small shop) for my wallet which has a picture of a Ouija board on it. Ignorance may be bliss for some but it is a PITA for the rest of us.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:35 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchcat View Post
Ok.. not completely sarcastically but maybe more than a little.. Ohhh all of a 100 in a country of 25K (as of 2017).

I have new neighbors who are black but aside from passing her on our road from time to time or my landmates son I go weeks without seeing a POC in the 5 towns (and 3 counties) I go to on a every few days basis.

I truly TRULY wish those were the 6 isolated folks around here... those were just the ones I couldn't just walk off from.

Thank you... that I do appreciate. I've been kicked out of 2 businesses (A youth center and small shop) for my wallet which has a picture of a Ouija board on it. Ignorance may be bliss for some but it is a PITA for the rest of us.
My college number had 666 in it. I had secretaries who would not log it in .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri