Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 08:32 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,019,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout1964 View Post
Yikes!!!!

The town is nothing like that now. That description is surreal compared to how Warrensburg is now. Thanks so much for the post. Posting an update at the end of this thread.
Didn't think i said anything overly crazy. It's a small town in Missouri...maybe you quoted me, intending to quote the guy above me

Either way - Congrats on making the move. Like i said, I did enjoy my time in Warrensburg. Had many good experiences on Pine Street, or at several of the spots along Holden Ave....Learned to ride a motorcycle in that town, and LOVED the freedom I had being a young 20 something running around on the backroads surrounding warrensburg, etc on my motorcycle...pure bliss, and uninterrupted freedom...but i see that was both a product of the times (cell phones were more rare, and i had no responsibilities). For this guy, I could hop on a bike, drive out to the university owned airport, grab a plane, and fly anywhere I wanted for a quick get away, date night, lunch, dinner, etc....and it was a BLAST!

So, for me, I view it sentimentally...As i've driven back through, I went past all the places I used to hang out, to my old homes and apartments, friends duplexes, etc...and have always said "I'm glad I did it THEN!" It's not that Warrensburg as a whole was bad...but as a poor kid, with limited funds, and options...I stayed in places that likely should have been condemned back then (and they're STILL standing, and being rented...lol) but from the comforts of my modern, open concept, home...I'm happy to know where I came FROM.

Oh, and as I said, if I was ever to think of moving back...it'd be to teach at the university. I think that could be a fun time! So in closing, you're living my dream!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 03:07 PM

61 posts, read 101,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
+1 on letting us know what The Burg is like now. I lived there in 93/94 and there was several strip clubs and you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a meth addict. Those are the good things, it was a horrible place back then. The meth problem was so bad they would actually bring tanks and helicopters off the Air Force base to arrest the crazy meth dealers.

I have been back a few times since and it has been cleaned up a lot. Last time was close to 10 years ago.
Yikes!!!!

The town is nothing like that now. The front end of your description is surreal compared to how Warrensburg is now. Thanks so much for the post. Posting an update at the end of this thread. Glad to see your experience and assessment was able to improve over time.

Thanks!

(edited from original incorrect assignment to flynavyj

Old 10-21-2019, 03:10 PM

61 posts, read 101,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Didn't think i said anything overly crazy. It's a small town in Missouri...maybe you quoted me, intending to quote the guy above me

Either way - Congrats on making the move. Like i said, I did enjoy my time in Warrensburg. Had many good experiences on Pine Street, or at several of the spots along Holden Ave....Learned to ride a motorcycle in that town, and LOVED the freedom I had being a young 20 something running around on the backroads surrounding warrensburg, etc on my motorcycle...pure bliss, and uninterrupted freedom...but i see that was both a product of the times (cell phones were more rare, and i had no responsibilities). For this guy, I could hop on a bike, drive out to the university owned airport, grab a plane, and fly anywhere I wanted for a quick get away, date night, lunch, dinner, etc....and it was a BLAST!

So, for me, I view it sentimentally...As i've driven back through, I went past all the places I used to hang out, to my old homes and apartments, friends duplexes, etc...and have always said "I'm glad I did it THEN!" It's not that Warrensburg as a whole was bad...but as a poor kid, with limited funds, and options...I stayed in places that likely should have been condemned back then (and they're STILL standing, and being rented...lol) but from the comforts of my modern, open concept, home...I'm happy to know where I came FROM.

Oh, and as I said, if I was ever to think of moving back...it'd be to teach at the university. I think that could be a fun time! So in closing, you're living my dream!
Gosh. So sorry. Yes, I replied to the wrong post -- sam812. I responded and corrected. Again, I apologize for that! That's what I get trying to post from my phone.

The aviation program is celebrating it's 50th Anniversary this weekend. Sounds like a fun time. They've even got an alumni flying competition! If you're able, you should think about coming out for it!

Thanks again for your feedback and your gracious correction of my erroneous attribution!

scout

Old 10-21-2019, 06:00 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,684,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout1964 View Post
Yikes!!!!

The town is nothing like that now. The front end of your description is surreal compared to how Warrensburg is now. Thanks so much for the post. Posting an update at the end of this thread. Glad to see your experience and assessment was able to improve over time.

Thanks!

(edited from original incorrect assignment to flynavyj
Glad it is so much nicer now and thanks for the update. Years ago there used to be a dumpy trailer court straight across Hwy 13 from Walmart. I lived there and worked at Whiteman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri