Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2007, 08:58 PM

4 posts, read 26,805 times

Advertisements

yes, tons of them here in Lancaster, PA, the largest Amish and Mennonite population in the country. they dress differently, and when you are used to them, you can tell the differences. watch out when you approach these people. some are very nice, but some are not. one thing i learn about these people is that they are the most selfish people on earth i ever encounter. plus, they stink. i don't mean to offend them, but honestly they do. my in-law is currently renting a house from a Mennonite guy, and when the water pipe in the basement broke, there were three Mennonite plumbers came to fix it and they were so stinky that none of us could go to speak to them. i guess they do not take shower regularly because of their religious belief. some of their food are pretty good though, especially pie, cake and ice cream. due to high cost of land here in Lancaster county, many of them are moving out of this region to the midwest, so i guess you should see more of them in your area in the future.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 13,387 times
can someone tell me if the amish or mennonite people are willing to do work for regular people?

Old 05-07-2007, 09:40 AM

339 posts, read 1,424,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzupon View Post
can someone tell me if the amish or mennonite people are willing to do work for regular people?
Yes. Many of the homes in this area are built by Amish crews.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:56 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,339,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
This is a good question. Do any of them have flea markets and if so, where? The Amish flea markets out here always have great stuff (furniture, delicious food, etc.).
When where how ...

Im thinking of coming for a trip and would like to visit this as well ..please send me a private pm so I am sure to follow this!
Thanks

Old 05-07-2007, 10:00 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,339,338 times
I believe they both dress similar ... Mennonites will wear sneekers and some of our style clothing but mostly very plain .. grey and black .. amish are more in black .. and the way a man shaves is different I believe.

Where i live now we have mennonites that come to town ...
When in Oklahoma we were in a restaurant and Amish came in and had ordered a PIzza...

Mennonites will drive and Amish dont ... I believe this is correct!

I am like you I catch myself looking and wanting to go over with a greeting of hi how are you ..etc ......but I too shy away!

Old 05-07-2007, 02:31 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,469,458 times
There is a large group of Mennonites around the town of LaRussell,MO. Many of these are builders-I bought my horse shed from them, and we had talked with another about building us a house, until a hurricane (Andrew) caused prices of supplies to go up. They also own a truss company. The women bring home baked goodies into town on our farmer's market days, along with veggies. Mennonites can be of the ultra-conservative, buggy-only type, on through to dressing just like everyone else and driving. Just depends on the individual community they belong to. Our contractor used cell phones and electricity in his office and for business, but his home was no electric, almost Amish. There are some Amish near the town of Verona,MO who run a consignment auction for Amish and English alike. Everything from gas grills to building supplies to almost outdated food and buggies and propane powered refrigerators. It's a grab bag as to what will be available. They advertise in the Big Nickel under Spring River Auctions.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:37 PM

296 posts, read 1,182,982 times
I recall seeing an Amish family around Montgomery City, MO. Isolated or is their a community there?

Old 05-07-2007, 10:05 PM

10 posts, read 62,883 times
I don't agree. I have been, live near there and have dealt with them on various levels. Handicapped was not an issue as I have taken several friends there three of whom were handicapped. Sorry you appeared to have a problem with that.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:08 PM

10 posts, read 62,883 times
Saw your post and I say hello when both sects make eye contact which is rare. I do have a amish woman I know and she would take offense to open questioning about them. Think if you had a special way about your religion and someone grilled you about it. It is their way to stay somewhat segregated, however there are quite a few of my neighbors who have been very friendly.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:33 AM

59 posts, read 262,043 times
There is a community near Boonville, Mo and Clark Mo. Have never seen a flea market but do know that they sell out of their homes. Furniture, rugs, candy, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri