Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 02:36 PM

589 posts, read 1,107,622 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Northeast Missouri, and the elders called it Missour"uh". My generation preferred to call in Missour"ee". We tended to refer to the Missour"uh" pronunciation as rural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 06:14 PM

694 posts, read 1,356,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I was there for two years and pronounced it "Misery"
07-13-2009, 12:16 PM (1st entry on city-data forum)
DinsdalePirahna

Last year, my wife got homesick for the Hell that is the Greater Saint Louis Area, so we decided to move here.

I was a well paid Advertising / PR professional in Southern California. I thought that I would be able to get some sort of position in my field. Outside of some short term Temp assignments, I can't find anything, not even work that I was doing when I started my career in the business,

It is very hard for an "outsider" to find work in a parochial and insular hiring environment. I'm looking for a wayout to leave this *****hole.

07-18-2011, 06:56 PM (Two years later)
DinsdalePirahna

I lived in Saint Louis for two years, hated it on so many levels that I had to move back to CA.

Glad you are enjoying it here. I find Southern Californians to be more genuine and sincere than the people I met in Saint Louis.

Dinsey has been preaching his 'I hate Missouri' sermon so long it's easy to mutter 'this guy really needs a life' and overlook the important message contained in his very first post on city data written just over two years ago. Read it very carefully. And then read the one written over two years later and just a few weeks ago.

Once you see the important point, you will have one of those "I could have had a V-8' moments.

Do you see it yet?

Anyone?

Yeah, me neither.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:34 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,806,749 times
Chiming in late here. Do people who say Missourah say Mississippah? How did 'ah' ever come about? Seems some of the eee people view the ah people not only as rural, but are announcing themselves as being uneducated. The growing country accent in MO is also curious - is even creeping into STL outer burbs. It's as if speaking distinctly is too cumbersome. Would think with TV the country accent would diminish yet it seems to be proliferating. Am speaking more as an observer rather than to disparage accents in general (all parts of the world have regional accents and dialects). Is not speaking distinctly an act of laziness or a big FU to 'properness' or just another dialect? Dialect tends to form from isolation so this doesn't seem to be what's happening. Regional dialect would've formed before TV but is curious that it still hangs on and actually grows after TV when most of the US is homogenized with same Walmart products and fast food. Would think there would be a consistent near sameness in accent too.

When I was in London, it was interesting to see the viewpoint of 'proper speaking' Queen's English view toward E Londoner's 'improper' accent. Cockney Rhyme Slang is in general sort of a big FU to the Queen's English. And of course American accent is gauche to them.

Would have to say my favorite accent in America is Milwaukee area. Least favorite, Boston. MO country accent is neither annoying or appealing - guess I'm used to it, but I do notice it as 'regional accent'. I don't get the Missourah thing though. Mississippah? Pepsah? Huh, wah?

Last edited by xenokc; 07-28-2011 at 11:23 PM..

Old 07-29-2011, 08:10 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Chiming in late here. Do people who say Missourah say Mississippah? How did 'ah' ever come about? Seems some of the eee people view the ah people not only as rural, but are announcing themselves as being uneducated. The growing country accent in MO is also curious - is even creeping into STL outer burbs. It's as if speaking distinctly is too cumbersome. Would think with TV the country accent would diminish yet it seems to be proliferating. Am speaking more as an observer rather than to disparage accents in general (all parts of the world have regional accents and dialects). Is not speaking distinctly an act of laziness or a big FU to 'properness' or just another dialect? Dialect tends to form from isolation so this doesn't seem to be what's happening. Regional dialect would've formed before TV but is curious that it still hangs on and actually grows after TV when most of the US is homogenized with same Walmart products and fast food. Would think there would be a consistent near sameness in accent too.

When I was in London, it was interesting to see the viewpoint of 'proper speaking' Queen's English view toward E Londoner's 'improper' accent. Cockney Rhyme Slang is in general sort of a big FU to the Queen's English. And of course American accent is gauche to them.

Would have to say my favorite accent in America is Milwaukee area. Least favorite, Boston. MO country accent is neither annoying or appealing - guess I'm used to it, but I do notice it as 'regional accent'. I don't get the Missourah thing though. Mississippah? Pepsah? Huh, wah?
You do realize there are quite a few different regional accents within MO, right?
And I'm sorry......."country accents" creeping into STL?
ROFL!!!!!!!

Old 08-01-2011, 10:29 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
Sheryl Crow was on Jay Leno tonight and she pronounced it "Missourah" Made me think about this thread.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:08 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Sheryl Crow was on Jay Leno tonight and she pronounced it "Missourah" Made me think about this thread.
She'd be the only person from the bootheel that I've heard pronounce it that way. But Kennett might as well be Arkansas so what does she know? j/k

Old 08-07-2011, 09:34 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Misery.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:53 PM

662 posts, read 1,228,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Wood View Post
Up here in South Central MN we were debating how to say Missouri.

A few swear that it is pronounced Missouraaaaah

and some that say no it is Missouriiiiiiii...

How do you guys pronounce it? Not that it is all that important but hubby says Missouriiiiii and it drives his boss nuts. Boss says that is incorrect.
If you are from the Ozarks or want to run for statewide political office (examples: Roy & Matt Blunt), you call it "Missourah." Everybody else says "Missouree." I've probably heard more people from more northern states call it "Missourah" (derisively) than I've heard people in the state call it by that name.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:36 PM

431 posts, read 1,241,683 times
I work with several people from the Springfield area and they all say Missourah.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:11 AM

29 posts, read 43,501 times
Chiming in late but my grandpa was born and raised in the Kansas City area (more Lee's Summit, where he graduated high school) and he pronounces it Missour-ah. I've always thought it was awkward and I always learned it to be pronounced Missour-ii..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri