Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 01:35 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,069,099 times

Advertisements

Ranting and raving and such are all part of the deep frustrations we all share when speaking/dealing with BS topics such as politics, government, taxes - however, lets keep the discussions civil, at least somewhat friendly - and debate/discuss the OP's subject. We can disagree, and do so strongly, but such can also be done with respect... if not also some understanding. Differing opinions are not just welcome but very much desired - but not at the expense of person on 'the other side'. 'k? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 01:49 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,397,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lone sailor View Post
The vehicle miles traveled tax will never happen.
Good.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:20 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,152,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
The director of the Missouri Department of Transportation set a trial balloon afloat this week. Missourinet, the statewide radio network, reported on his proposal of a Vehicle Miles Traveled (http://www.missourinet.com/gestalt/go.cfm?objectid=F6B3988E-5056-B82A-378B39571AEA55EC - broken link) tax.

That will be a new kind of tax to add to this list: Tax Everything.

Also, the Rolla City Council is getting ready to raise the fees at the cemetery (http://www.therolladailynews.com/news/x497800121/Cemetery-fees-likely-to-rise - broken link). I can't afford to die now; this will really put death out of my price range.
Oh, I thought your "voice" sounded familiar....Ozarks Chronicle, I remember it well (although briefly).

Old 01-26-2009, 11:32 AM

419 posts, read 1,183,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Oh, I thought your "voice" sounded familiar....Ozarks Chronicle, I remember it well (although briefly).
Wow - good call Tambre! I hadn't even put that together. I always loved that guy.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:35 PM

44 posts, read 156,446 times
You have to be careful with toll roads ... the money can be siphoned off for bad government programs that you hate. They can have private investors, even foreign investors, that expect a huge return on their investments , shady deals with the politicians,etc.

Consider the trucking industry too , the way it is used in our country.... we should be using rail to haul our freight as much as possible, not trucks ....besides the massive energy savings, think about this... ( I test highway materials) ... every time a single truck ( especially an overloaded one ) goes bouncing down the pavement one single time , it does damage to the road - the equivilent damage of about 10,000 cars going down the same road . It's not fair that car drivers are paying for roads being pounded into dust by overloaded trucks. If you could get these trucks off the road your highways and bridges would last 10 times longer .

Old 01-26-2009, 01:18 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,523,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
It's still (he's still?) alive and well. Now it's called the "Ozarks Almanac."

Old 01-26-2009, 03:15 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,069,099 times
dfiddler - with respect, and w/ it said upfront that I am no fan of slow lumbering large trucks in my way , and as a fan of RR's would very much love to see more rail traffic, I disagree w/ the blanket statement of 10,000 cars equates to one truck. That is a quite simplistic description of an old study, that unfortunately has grown legs and been used too much - it doesn't address differences in road types, weather/moisture/seasonal effects, dynamic vs. static loads, tire pressures, etc. Overall yes there is a correlation, but its somewhere between 1000 cars and the stated 10,000 cars to each tractor trailer.

Back to more on topic, and to use this comparisons of weight, person A has a small econobox car, whereas person B has a large dual truck hauling material - will this tax take those differences into account? Recall reading this article years ago: The Western Front - WSJ.com

Old 01-26-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It's still (he's still?) alive and well. Now it's called the "Ozarks Almanac."
Wonder why the name changed? Love the poem on taxes...so true.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:29 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,565,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermouse View Post
Wow - good call Tambre! I hadn't even put that together. I always loved that guy.
Thanks, Silvermouse. We published the monthly print version of The Ozarks Chronicle for three years, after I spent about 27 years as a newspaperman ( I am an OLD Ozarks Boy). Readers loved it, but for some reason I couldn't get advertisers excited about it. I don't know; maybe my readers didn't read the ads and didn't patronize the advertisers. Also, I was undercapitalized, and I flat ran out of money. So I got out of journalism (the best move of my life) and got a real job.

I let the web version go on until the service provider wanted his annual payment again. I shut that down and started The Ozarks Almanac on Blogger/Blogspot, which doesn't have an annual payment, at least not yet.

Several of you check The Ozarks Almanac regularly, I've noticed, and I appreciate it. It's just a little something to express my love for the region and its people. If you're thinking about moving to the Ozarks, especially the Rolla area, it might be helpful. Or it might not.

OK, thanks.

And, yes, ShadowCaver, I know this is off topic, so I'm prepared to see it deleted.

Last edited by ozarksboy; 01-26-2009 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 01-26-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Thanks, Silvermouse. We published the monthly print version of The Ozarks Chronicle for three years, after I spent about 27 years as a newspaperman ( I am an OLD Ozarks Boy). Readers loved it, but for some reason I couldn't get advertisers excited about it. I don't know; maybe my readers didn't read the ads and didn't patronize the advertisers. Also, I was undercapitalized, and I flat ran out of money. So I got out of journalism (the best move of my life) and got a real job.

I let the web version go on until the service provider wanted his annual payment again. I shut that down and started The Ozarks Almanac on Blogger/Blogspot, which doesn't have an annual payment, at least not yet.

Several of you check The Ozarks Almanac regularly, I've noticed, and I appreciate it. It's just a little something to express my love for the region and its people. If you're thinking about moving to the Ozarks, especially the Rolla area, it might be helpful. Or it might not.

OK, thanks.

And, yes, ShadowCaver, I know this is off topic, so I'm prepared to see it deleted.

Sorry that the Ozarks Chronicle had to fold...glad you found a new venue, and best of luck with it. Mystery solved!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri