Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:17 PM

71 posts, read 299,761 times

Advertisements

We finally moved back to Colorado. I really like the weather much better and no humidity. After buying our second home in Missouri that's when our troubles started. No matter how little rain it always got into the crawl space. That just added to humidity that was already down there. Finally after numerours tries to keep water out of the crawl space, we ended up spending $10000 on a system to keep it dry. Under the liner it was always wet but kept the air dry with a dehumidifer and sump pumps which ran year around. I would say it was money well spent but I would never buy another house with a wet basement. I had way to many problems because of the weather in that state to live there again. Mold, termites you name it and I seen it in Missouri.
Now we have mostly wind to put with, not all the time but windy days just like Missouri. I'll never forget the ice storm we had in Lebanon Missouri which shut the whole town down for a week. I had to spend $500 on a generator just to keep the pumps running. No I'll never forget Missouri. We live in a small town in Colorado is easy to get around in and low cost of living but more jobs. No I'll not forget Missouri. A nice place to visit be I'll never move there again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 08:27 PM

Default What a relief

We did give it another go by moving up towards Waynesville. This time we bought a house with a dry basement. That was the year of all the flooding, 2008. We lived on 5 acreas and a 1/2 mile down a country road. The builder didn't tell us it was a food plain. The rains came and the road that we lived on would washout so bad that the county had to bring a grader in and fix the road each time it rained. The sides of the road would wash away and big ruts in the road so you couldn't get down it. My driveway was slightly up hill and it would washout. I would bring up creek gravel in a wheelbarrow to fix the driveway over and over again and county would bring the grader in over and over again. Finally that was enough for me. Missouri is a very pretty state but I could not live there again.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:30 PM

246 posts, read 629,171 times
Glad you're happy. Did you move to the Pueblo area then? I lived in
Trinidad for a few years. There are times I miss the Sange de Cristos
and a few other things. If I moved back I'd miss the color green and the rain etc. To each his own I guess. Yes it was a change moving to
an area with humidity - thank goodness for a/c! We've never had a
water problem here so can't relate to that.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:46 PM

938 posts, read 3,505,260 times
mechanic:

I guess we have opposite views. I've been to Colorado many times (seems to be once or twice a year lately), and while I love the skiing, mountain views, and microbrewerys, it is just too darn dry for me and I'd much rather live in Missouri. I like lush, green climates. Missouri can be a humid state, which can be a shock if you aren't used to it. I grew up there, and it is "normal" as a result, and I find the West to be too dry for my tastes (my lips would always get very chapped when I went out there as a kid). I suppose we all tend to like what we know and have gotten used to however, and I'm glad you are happy back in Colorado, but wish you would have left some of those ski slopes in Missouri!

Old 05-05-2009, 09:02 PM

Default Pueblo west

Yes we moved to pueblo west. I don't like the terrain but it gives me a break from all the mowing I had to do in Missouri. I was born, raised and retired in Colorado and that's where I'll stay.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:58 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
Yes we moved to pueblo west. I don't like the terrain but it gives me a break from all the mowing I had to do in Missouri. I was born, raised and retired in Colorado and that's where I'll stay.
I'm glad you're back where you belong and you are happy. I don't understand why you left your home to come to Missouri. I don't understand why a lot of people do that. It makes no sense to me. But I'm just country simple.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:43 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
But I'm just country simple.
Country dumb, more likely!
I'll leave it to OB to explain that is a actually a compliment

Old 05-06-2009, 07:58 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,195,050 times
Dang I lived in Salida.Hated it,nothing but Brown and Mountains.Nothing ever changed.One place I wouldn't even care to visit again.

Glad your happy.

hillman

Old 05-06-2009, 01:25 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
I'm glad you're back where you belong and you are happy. I don't understand why you left your home to come to Missouri. I don't understand why a lot of people do that. It makes no sense to me. But I'm just country simple.
Well, OB, let me try to 'splain it.

I'm married to a midwife and she informs me that we don't have a choice when it comes to where we're born.

I guess it would follow that we also don't have a choice when it comes to where our parents and other relatives settle.

Sometimes we just stick around out of habit or 'cause it's easier than pulling up stakes and moving or because that's where our support network and our livelihood are.

Over time family members move or assume room temperature, job changes, layoffs or retirement occur, children grow and strike out on their own and/or, lo-and-behold, we find ourselves freed or we free ourselves just because we want to.

We then follow a dream we've had, the love of someplace we've been before or we move in the belief that the fescue is more verdant elsewhere.

Sometimes it works. Sometimes it's a disaster. Either way, it's ours!

It can be a grand adventure!

Old 05-06-2009, 02:20 PM

246 posts, read 629,171 times
Been to many a state fair in Pueblo. It gets hot as crap there.
Oh I lived in Pueblo for a few months too at one time. Oh well
good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri