Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:19 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareybear View Post
I am looking within city limits.... Whoo Hoooo I found one that I like. My hubby is coming home for 4 days for Christmas and one of the days I will be showing two homes and might make an offer on the place... We will see if he is happy as well. I will keep you all posted.
Good luck! Let us know what you found!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 11:32 AM

82 posts, read 275,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Yes, there's many more exciting places than Mid-Mo... but a lot depends on the stage of life you're in. Probably a good place for older folks like me...and too "staid" for younger folks who want more going on in town. Oregon has very high unemployment I hear. And housing can eat up a lot of income. But, it's probably closer to a lot more outdoor activities.
Hi there New England girl. I thought I'd chime in on this with some of my thoughts on Columbia. I live in Kansas City, Mo and have lived briefly in Chicago, as well as having split 5 years of my life between Los Angeles and San Diego. I also lived for a short while in Meridian, Mississippi. I've travelled all over the world and the U.S. so I like to think I've seen enough to give you a reasonably informed opinion of what Columbia is like compared to other places.

Having said that, I enjoy Columbia a great deal. It has a laid back feel of a smaller town while simultaneously being very cosmopolitan. It's a fun place really and has a surprising amount of offerings as far as food and entertainment. Enough so that several times a year I leave this much larger metropolitan area to spend a couple days there.

I'm a HUGE sports fan so obviously I love the entertainment the university offers in regards to that. They've got very competitive teams in almost every sport most years. Being college sports the prices are much more family friendly than those of the professional franchises in St. Louis and Kansas City.

I also enjoy the food. In recent years the fine dining scene has expanded pretty rapidly. There's also a great selection of hole in the wall cafe's that offer up heaping plates of cracklin' bacon and eggs etc... I enjoy a nice expensive meal prepared by a top notch chef but also a good greasy burger and fries. I've never had any trouble finding something to satisfy my appetite no matter what mood I was in while visiting Columbia.

Besides sports and food I also enjoy some good theater, stand up comedy, live music (rock, blues, jazz, orchestras etc), movies such. Again, Columbia has never disappointed me here. Whatever your niche is they probably have something for you.

That only continues to become more so all the time because Columbia is one of the fastest growing communities in the state with people from all over Missouri and the world choosing to settle there. That's part of what's fun about the place. Everytime I go there I see a few things that weren't there the last time I was in town.

Columbia also has a lot of things to offer fitness buffs like cycling (Katy Trail is one of the longest in the country), canoing etc.. There's also tons of hunting and fishing for the outdoorsy types.

As far as crime goes, Columbia isn't bad. When I read posts by some that say you should avoid this neighborhood or that one in Columbia I have to chuckle. Columbia does have some crime like any city but comparatively speaking it's very insignificant. There aren't any neighborhoods where it's unsafe to walk down the street regardless of what anyone tells you. I think that comes from folks that have an extremely isolated view of the world and believe a lot of tall tales manufactured by their story teller neighbor that's probably never even been to the place they speak of. If there's any doubt about that in mind then check the FBI's statistics for the facts rather than buying into the opinions of the uninformed. That should erase any false ideas about Columbia being "dangerous".

Politically, Columbia is somewhat liberal. Some die hard right winger from Branson might tell you it's the most leftist place on Earth but they probably haven't been around much either. Anyone with an even moderate point of view would be a bleeding heart liberal to those types. I'd consider myself neither liberal or conservative. A very middle of the road kind of person with moderate views. I don't feel uncomfortable or out of place in Columbia. Regardless of what you are or believe in politically most in Columbia seem to respectful of your point of view as long as you're not some loudmouth that insists on forcing your opinion down their throats.

That same attitude carries over into religion. Columbia isn't a bible beltish place like Springfield or other places in the southwest region of the state. If you like church there are some nice ones there that will welcome you. Being a college town there are people in Columbia of a large variety of religious backgrounds so chances are you can find a place of worship no matter who your God is. If you're an atheist, agnostic, or just someone that doesn't bother it's extremely unlikely that anyone will care or mention it.

Unlike what one of the previous posters said, I've found that most people in Columbia are pretty friendly and not afraid to engage in a conversation or share a beer with a stranger. It seems like I make a few new friends everytime I visit so my experience has been good.

As far as employment, Columbia is experiencing a down economy just like the rest of the country.
Someone pointed out that Missouri has struggled worse than some other places during these tough times. That may be true but unemployment and hard times haven't hit Columbia nearly as hard as other regions within the state or nationwide. Columbia has actually done very well in comparison to the nation as a whole.

Another falsehood I've seen posted is that traffic in Columbia is bad. Ummm no. It's not. Maybe to someone from some little town like Moberly it is but anyone who has lived in a major metropolitan area would scoff at that. The worst days for traffic in Columbia are when there is a football game in town and I experience far worse everyday in KC when absolutely nothing out of the ordinary is taking place.

So, those are my observations of Columbia. It's a great place. Would I live there? Certainly. I don't even have to think twice about it really. It's a safe place to live with plenty of things to do, a lot of nice people, and two major cities not far away. It's definitely not a tropical oasis but it's a heck of a lot more affordable than anyplace that is.

Last edited by Thrillcekr; 12-24-2009 at 11:42 AM..

Old 12-24-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Read cyrano's post; it embroiders what I said in a couple of sentences. Someone from New York will find Columbia the most comfortable place in Missouri.
I wouldn't say the most comfortable place in Missouri. The most comfortable small community in Missouri for sure. Columbia is a very tolerant place but so is just about any part of the St. Louis or Kansas City metros.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Meth??? Among which populations--students, professionals, lowly criminals, kids?
As I said in my previous posts, you might want to ignore some of what people recite to you as facts. Missouri isn't #1, or even close to #1, in that category. This link has Missouri listed as #20. Given the fact that it's the 18th most populated state in the country it's not as bad as MO would lead you to believe.

State Estimates of Past Year Methamphetamine Use, SAMHSA Office of Applied Studies

Old 12-25-2009, 04:18 AM

188 posts, read 938,599 times
Positive and Negative comments.

Prior to moving here I would suggest you do the research, Columbia isn’t the city it was 4 or 5 years ago. Don’t get me wrong but there are good and bad things about Columbia or anywhere you decide to move to but due to management and crime the city has went down hill the last several years.

You might want to go to this websiteModerator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed to compare the city you currently live in to Columbia, MO it will show crime, cost of living, education and several other comparisons. Make sure you read the local paper daily at The Columbia Daily Tribune - Columbia, Missouri to get crime related news and what I call the “pat me on the Columbia Back” news, and Columbia Missourian has a lot of interesting news also and most of the TV stations are online ABC17NEWS.COM - BREAKING NEWS, WEATHER, AND SPORTS FROM MID-MISSOURI is one of them.

The unemployment rate is above 10%, you can go to the MO career center at Great Hires to get information, the only thing that the career center will do for you is show you how to go online to search for a job. New hire employment is very competitive in this area so be prepared. Like a lot of other places in the U.S. there has been a lot of downsizing and closing of businesses in this area.

The current cost of real estate is higher than other cities about the same size and career opportunities in Columbia. Rental property is at a premium in Columbia due to all of the College students that live here that’s about 50,000 students or so. There are only a few apartment complexes I would recommend but one of the apartment review sites Columbia Apartments for Rent - Columbia Apartments Reviews and Ratings will have some comments about different places to live.

There is a serious Methamphetamine all over the U.S., Missouri just has its share of it.

Personally I do not regret relocating here 9 Years ago, like I said there are good and bad things about any city you move to you just have to sort the positive with the negative and decide if it is the right place for you.
It’s not a bad place to raise a family, school district has issues but not a lot of major ones, cost of living is a little higher than other cities this size (Especially rent and groceries), I compare the crime to the Knoxville, TN area it will be exactly like it soon enough but there are not any major gangs established yet.

Hope this has helped.

Last edited by Yac; 01-04-2010 at 07:46 AM..

Old 12-26-2009, 11:31 AM

1,554 posts, read 4,551,570 times
Well you all know I was going to show my husband two homes in Columbia today. We had to cancel due one of the house is under contract and my husband looked at the location of the house which is NE it was in a small rural neighborhood. So he didn't like that very much. So no offers.
Still looking

Old 01-05-2010, 03:52 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Peperosso and Thrillsekr,

Thanks both of you for such great detailed information. I actually liked living in Columbia for almost a decade but that was many years ago. I was 40 when I moved there. I'd like to move back in many respects. When I left I felt I couldn't wait to get back to NE and the ocean. But now being retired on a fixed income I find that all the high-priced stuff including an overnight at the beach is out of my budget, and the travel to get there too much at my age. What I liked about Columbia is that it's a self contained community, you don't have to leave the city to find cultural things going on. I also liked the country fiddlers performing and don't get any of that here, just "higher class" stuff or club music scene. One thing I woul;d not want though is to live in the sprawling suburbs. I hated those when I lived there and now I hear it's sprawl everywhere. I would want to live close-in, walkable to as much as possible. Anyone finding this type of situation as you look for places to live there?

Also, can seniors take tuition-free classes at U-Mo?

Good luck Kareybear in finding a home for your family soon, keep us posted! Keep tabs on the house that went under contract, maybe put in a backup offer as it often happens that a buyer can't get a loan and then it's back on the market.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:53 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,551,570 times
Quote:

Thanks both of you for such great detailed information. I actually liked living in Columbia for almost a decade but that was many years ago. I was 40 when I moved there. I'd like to move back in many respects. When I left I felt I couldn't wait to get back to NE and the ocean. But now being retired on a fixed income I find that all the high-priced stuff including an overnight at the beach is out of my budget, and the travel to get there too much at my age. What I liked about Columbia is that it's a self contained community, you don't have to leave the city to find cultural things going on. I also liked the country fiddlers performing and don't get any of that here, just "higher class" stuff or club music scene. One thing I woul;d not want though is to live in the sprawling suburbs. I hated those when I lived there and now I hear it's sprawl everywhere. I would want to live close-in, walkable to as much as possible. Anyone finding this type of situation as you look for places to live there?

Good luck Kareybear in finding a home for your family soon, keep us posted! Keep tabs on the house that went under contract, maybe put in a backup offer as it often happens that a buyer can't get a loan and then it's back on the market.
Great tip... Yes there is a huge sprawling suburbs ... I too would love to live close to town but not finding anything that is a bargain. Still looking though.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:

Columbia has grown a lot and no matter where you go in America that new growth is almost inevitably going to be of the suburban variety. That, of course, means sprawl. It's impossible to avoid unless you want to live in a rural town.

The trade off for avoiding it is going to be a complete lack of amenities. Then there's also poorly maintained infrastructure due to not being able to generate enough taxes needed to stay on top of things. Also schools that lack the opportunities that students attending schools in more affluent districts have. Lastly, neighbors that are going to be nice in their own way but generally ignorant and intolerant of anyone different from those people that are part of their little subcultures.

As has been said many times, Columbia has grown a lot. Eye poppingly so if you haven't been there in a good long while. There's some sprawl as a result of it but if you're accustomed to living in a major metropolitan area it will still seem like nothing.

Look at it like this. All of the things that you loved about Columbia before are still there. The difference now is that there is more to it than just what you remembered.

Don't let anyone scare you with wild stories about hellish traffic jams and "gangs". If you're living in a major metro then the traffic in Columbia won't seem to bothersome.

As far as the supposed "crime outbreak", you need to do your research. I live in one of the safest areas of the Kansas City metro. I don't feel unsafe in my neighborhood at all. I rarely see, or hear of, any significant crime here. Yet, according to the crime map site that people keep posting here, it's ten times as bad here as it is in Columbia. The overwhelming majority of that crime it did show for Columbia was petty stuff. Property crime. Someone got their car stereo stolen etc... Not violent crime.

Rational thinking alone should be enough to dismiss any notion that there's a real gang problem in Columbia. As a former state corrections office I've got a ton of experience dealing with gangs. I know where the gangbangers come from because I was in the system. I never once received an inmate that was a gangbanger from Columbia.

In order for gangs to thrive they need to have the right environment. That is, an extremely large high crime area where the police in that community are so overwhelmed by all the criminal activity that they don't have time to focus all, or most, of their attention on the gang problem. Columbia is NOWHERE NEAR being the kind of environment that would have all the key ingredients needed for gangs to thrive. There might be a small group of loosely knit wanna be's that call themselves a gang but they aren't anywhere near as dangerous or problematic as an established, organized gang would be.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,375 times
Default Any information would be helpful

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum, please let me know. Anyway, I will be moving to Columbia with my daughter who will be attending MU in August 2012. I will be graduating with my Bachelor's Degree in Computer Information Systems with an emphasis in Security and starting my Master's Degree in Cybersecurity. By the time I move, I will have had a year of experience working with TD Ameritrade in their desktop site support department. Does anyone know what the tech jobs are like in Columbia? I lived there for a couple years when I was in high school and was thrilled when my daughter chose MU to attend. We will be facing a lot of changes and just hoping it won't be forever before finding work there. Any input would be helpful.

I am also trying to find an nice place to live that would allow three small dogs. Any assistance there would be appreciated as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri