Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 12:59 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times

Advertisements

That's great to have a job that is so mobile. I relocated here, too, almost 3 years ago. It was a big decision, and my family is still very upset with me. But I really like it here. I would recommend finding a 6 month rental. That will give you time to decide if you really like it well enough to stay, and it will also give you time to decide if you want to stay right where you are, or go to a different town/region of Missouri. If you need cable internet, you will need to be near the more populated areas...$400 a month is possible near the cities but you will have to do some research. Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 02:14 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,563,138 times
Recapping, you said you want to leave your family, who love you and will miss you, to move to Missouri because your landlord doesn't maintain your building to suit you and you think you can't afford to move to a nicer place that will cost more money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresnoplacelikehome View Post
The management really does not maintain the building very well and I realy would like to move. The problem is I can only afford around $400 a month and I basically am priced out of the Pacific Northwest ... I am just not sure what to do.

I am in my 50s and have a grown daughter who lives in Oregon. I have several family members who live in Oregon. My family, sister in particular, thinks this is an absolutely terrible idea, to be away from the family and move that far away, especially since I do not know anyone in Missouri. I have tried over and over to explain to her that I do not want to stay in this apartment and that it is extremely hard to find a decent apartment in my price range, but she said if she were basically in similar circumstances, she would rather live in an attic and stay by the family. My sister has had hardships, but she also has her own home now.
I suggested that moving to Missouri simply because you don't like the way the landlord is maintaining your building is a mighty poor reason to move halfway across the country, leaving family and friends, familiar places and memories, behind. I said it made no sense to me. You replied:

Quote:
I'm not sure if your statement makes any sense to me either, so we're even. Thank you.
Then I tried to explain to you some of the pitfalls of living alone in an unfamiliar place, and suggested that someone moving at age 50 will have a much more difficult time than someone moving at age 19 with her parents. For the sake of your safety and emotional health, I begged you to reconsider. You replied:

Quote:
I love my daughter and family very much, but also would like to have a better structure to live in, even though that may sound superficial to a lot of people. Possibly I could even have my own house there. I'm very tired of apartment living and going to laundromats. I just do not make the kind of income I used to in my profession, but in this recession, it is forcing me [and probably a lot of other people] to take a look at other areas of the country.
Well, yes, it does sound superficial to me, but if getting out of your apartment and into a house so you can have a washer-dryer is more important to you than being near your daughter and sister, and if you think Missouri is the only place you can do that, then ignore everything I warned you about and move to Missouri.

I can see now that I made erroneous assumptions when I read your first post. I thought you wanted all kinds of information to help you make a decision. I see now that your mind is made up and you didn't want to hear any cautionary advice; you only wanted to hear people cheering your decision to move. Such cheering is plentiful on the Missouri Forum.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:40 PM

635 posts, read 1,655,952 times
I don't think she has a problem with others suggestions and opinions but rather those that give them in a condescending, insulting, and arrogant manner.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:30 PM

419 posts, read 1,182,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
I don't think she has a problem with others suggestions and opinions but rather those that give them in a condescending, insulting, and arrogant manner.
What? OB is plain spoken, it's true, but his post had some things in it she needs to consider. This is a big move.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:37 PM

246 posts, read 629,432 times
Okay so my comment was misconstrued, maybe I worded it wrong
or something. This is the first time I've made someone upset, and
I am truly sorry.

What I meant by saying that - I know people who come out here
from the east coast and they don't like it here. They feel they cannot
relate to anyone here. They feel they have to talk down to people.
These people are highly educated professionals that do not feel
comfortable here.

Personally, I love it here and don't want to move. I have a college
degree and we are self employed successfully. We moved here not
having jobs or knowing a soul. I was just pointing out that moving
here is not right for everyone, and some of the complaints I have heard
in regards to this.

I would trust the locals here with my life. I find the locals to be
totally sincere. If I still have you upset, then you have a chip on
your shoulder bigger than I can get off.

YES we have plenty of professional people here, the thing is this
area doesn't pay much for wages in most jobs, so the highly
educated people either work here with their own business or tend
to move to the bigger cities. I have never posted in any forum
anything other than my satisfaction with living in this area. So
please don't make something out of nothing, I have family for
that - LOL!

Old 07-07-2009, 03:39 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
OB is just as plain spoken as many other Missourians I know, (including myself) its just the way we are.
I find it refreshing to be able to speak with someone without having to decipher what is really being said, behind blandishments and subterfuge. At least one knows where we stand!

Old 07-07-2009, 03:40 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,563,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
My post was bluntly to the point but not condescending, insulting or arrogant. I gave her some information and some points I thought she should consider. I then said that if she must move to Missouri, she should consider my own town, Rolla, because of the services available to seniors like her and me. Would I insult someone and then suggest they move to my own town? I don't fill my posts with little smilies; maybe I need to do that kind of girly thing to make the little girls feel better. (Now that was condescending!)

Last edited by ozarksboy; 07-07-2009 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: added "because of the services available..."

Old 07-07-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcol View Post
Okay so my comment was misconstrued, maybe I worded it wrong
or something. This is the first time I've made someone upset, and
I am truly sorry.

What I meant by saying that - I know people who come out here
from the east coast and they don't like it here. They feel they cannot
relate to anyone here. They feel they have to talk down to people.
These people are highly educated professionals that do not feel
comfortable here.

Personally, I love it here and don't want to move. I have a college
degree and we are self employed successfully. We moved here not
having jobs or knowing a soul. I was just pointing out that moving
here is not right for everyone, and some of the complaints I have heard
in regards to this.

I would trust the locals here with my life. I find the locals to be
totally sincere. If I still have you upset, then you have a chip on
your shoulder bigger than I can get off.

YES we have plenty of professional people here, the thing is this
area doesn't pay much for wages in most jobs, so the highly
educated people either work here with their own business or tend
to move to the bigger cities. I have never posted in any forum
anything other than my satisfaction with living in this area. So
please don't make something out of nothing, I have family for
that - LOL!
No offense taken on my part, and if the truth were to be told, we dont think much of those East Coast elitist types, either!

Old 07-07-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
My post was bluntly to the point but not condescending, insulting or arrogant. I gave her some information and some points I thought she should consider. I then said that if she must move to Missouri, she should consider my own town, Rolla. Would I insult someone and then suggest they move to my own town? I don't fill my posts with little smilies; maybe I need to do that kind of girly thing to make the little girls feel better. (Now that was condescending!)
LMAO, I think the smiley is embarrassed to be there, make it go away!!!!!

Old 07-07-2009, 03:43 PM

635 posts, read 1,655,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermouse View Post
What? OB is plain spoken, it's true, but his post had some things in it she needs to consider. This is a big move.

I understand that, I have read his posts before and he has great ideas. It is just that some "good ideas" won't be taken seriously if there given in a certain manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri