Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 02:55 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,894,657 times

Advertisements

I kind of like the idea of Mizzou moving to the big 10. Either that or use this to get the big 12 to give them some respect. Either way this is great exposure for our land grant state school.

Conference presidents will study expansion | BuckeyeXtra
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 03:03 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,997,564 times
This has been rumored for years. It wont happen. It does not make sense for Mizzou to make the move.

KU is by far their largest rival and Kansas City is a Big 12 city no matter where Mizzou is. The Big 12 title game is played here in football and the basketball tournament is played here most often. That conference's home is Kansas City.

In the Big Ten, Mizzou would be the worst school academically. It is already near the bottom of the Big 12 in academics and it would be even worse in the Big Ten. It would expose MU even more in that regard. That is negative exposure that MU does not need.

It just makes no sense for either party. Their are far better candidates for the Big Ten than Mizzou.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:03 PM

938 posts, read 3,505,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
In the Big Ten, Mizzou would be the worst school academically. It is already near the bottom of the Big 12 in academics and it would be even worse in the Big Ten. It would expose MU even more in that regard. That is negative exposure that MU does not need.
I don't really agree with that...Mizzou has generally superior academics to many Big XII schools, including OSU, OU, Texas Tech, and K-State. I would put Mizzou in the middle of the pack, not the bottom.

Regardless of academics, the Big XII is a stronger sports conference at the moment than the Big X. A move to a weaker conference would do little to help Mizzou athletics, especially with regard to football (namely, the BCS).

Old 12-19-2009, 08:14 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,922,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
I kind of like the idea of Mizzou moving to the big 10. Either that or use this to get the big 12 to give them some respect. Either way this is great exposure for our land grant state school.

Conference presidents will study expansion | BuckeyeXtra
Respect is earned, not given.

Didn't like when the "Big 8" became the "Big 12"; but frankley if Mizzou left it would be their loss, not that of the "Big 12".

Old 12-20-2009, 03:05 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,894,657 times
Respect was earned when the team went 8-4, disrespect occurred when a team with a lessor record, Iowa St, 6-6, who the Tigers beat gets the better bowl game. It's not the first time this has happened, KU should have not got the Orange bowl two years ago.

lifelongMOgal are you also a life long Tiger hater? The Big 12 does not want Mizzou to bolt, why are you slamming the home team?

http://www.bringonthecats.com/2009/1...12-needs-to-do

Personally I would prefer they remain in the Big 12 but I do think they have some legitimate complaints.

Last edited by Inoxkeeper; 12-20-2009 at 03:33 PM..

Old 12-20-2009, 07:31 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,922,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
Respect was earned when the team went 8-4, disrespect occurred when a team with a lessor record, Iowa St, 6-6, who the Tigers beat gets the better bowl game. It's not the first time this has happened, KU should have not got the Orange bowl two years ago.

lifelongMOgal are you also a life long Tiger hater? The Big 12 does not want Mizzou to bolt, why are you slamming the home team?

Part I: Why the Big 12 Needs to Do Everything It Can to Keep*Missouri - Bring On The Cats

Personally I would prefer they remain in the Big 12 but I do think they have some legitimate complaints.
I would say the same about any Big 12 team. And though I am a lifelong MOgal MU is not my "home team". I never "hated" the Tigers, just never liked them much either. I hear alot of whining from MU fans that I do not hear form other Big 12 fans.

Old 12-25-2009, 05:21 AM

188 posts, read 938,405 times
There's better teams in the Big 12 that deserve it more than MU.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:24 AM

486 posts, read 1,035,119 times
I definitely disagree with RjRobb on the academics of Mizzou. Generally Mizzou ranks high in the Big 12 on the academic front, with the exception of a couple of schools that are consistently ranked higher. However, in the Big 10 it wouldn't rank so high, it would be at or near the bottom.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:31 AM

102 posts, read 708,144 times
Yes I think Mizzou would be near the bottom of big ten academically but I don't think the move is going to happen. I hear big ten wants Rutgers for more east coast media attention.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:50 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,600 times
From what I heard about alumni reaction, it is mainly the St. Louis alumni that favor the move. The KC alumni is worried about rivalries especially with KU. Also the largest and most influential alumni group outside of Missouri is in Texas which would be against a move. It at least would be a means of getting a better deal out of the Big XII which has a bad TV deal and revenue plan.

A side note is as a UMR/S&T alum, I have heard from other alum that they are worried about a Mizzou move to the Big 10. Mainly due to academic prestige and the fear that more money taken out of Rolla's budget to MU or even shutting the campus and moving it to Columbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri