Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 06:03 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,895,640 times

Advertisements

"""PS Well, this and that was said on various conservative topics, so now I'd like to say my piece. About hunting (let alone eating meat): have y'all tried out laser tag or paint ball or something like that? Match wit against wit? I ask because "When a human being kills an animal for food, he is neglecting his own hunger for justice. Man prays for mercy, but is unwilling to extend it to others. Why then should man expect mercy from God? It is unfair to expect something that you are not willing to give." - Isaac B. Singer. """

Have you considered that God put animals here for our use? I harvest at least one deer every year. By doing so I ensure that there is less competition for forage during the cold months. We have eliminated most of the natural predators out there, if not for hunting each winter many animals would die a slow painful death simply because there are too many of them.

Mercy? I have fired 7 shots for the last 6 deer I have taken, I promise you that is more humane and merciful than starving to death. That is also 6 deer that won't run in front of my or your car late at night.

You're asking us to sample a vegan diet, I am game if you will sample some of my venison chili or tacos sometime. A freezer full of Bambi is a wonderful thing and you will find most Missourians agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 06:04 PM

30 posts, read 178,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post

Have you considered that God put animals here for our use?
Huh!!!?????!! You sound no different than the British in during their "Manifest Destiny" days. I would watch what you say about God if I were you. Assuming can be good sometimes, but, if you are a Christian, you never assume what God decides for us.

I think a little research in the Bible will help with your misconceptions. Or just check this out. These people already did the research for you.

Christianity and Vegetarianism - Christian Vegetarian Association

Old 06-18-2007, 06:09 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,895,640 times
Give me enough time and I will dig up the verse that proves my point...

Or...can anyone bail out a backslidden Baptist?

Old 06-18-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Give me enough time and I will dig up the verse that proves my point...

Or...can anyone bail out a backslidden Baptist?
Hmm..maybe neither of us should trust a book that contradicts itself.

ONE verse? I still have more verses than you!

Old 06-18-2007, 06:40 PM

7 posts, read 28,655 times
Default God did not intend us to torture His creation

Quote:
"""PS Well, this and that was said on various conservative topics, so now I'd like to say my piece. About hunting (let alone eating meat): have y'all tried out laser tag or paint ball or something like that? Match wit against wit? I ask because "When a human being kills an animal for food, he is neglecting his own hunger for justice. Man prays for mercy, but is unwilling to extend it to others. Why then should man expect mercy from God? It is unfair to expect something that you are not willing to give." - Isaac B. Singer. """

Have you considered that God put animals here for our use? I harvest at least one deer every year. By doing so I ensure that there is less competition for forage during the cold months. We have eliminated most of the natural predators out there, if not for hunting each winter many animals would die a slow painful death simply because there are too many of them.

Mercy? I have fired 7 shots for the last 6 deer I have taken, I promise you that is more humane and merciful than starving to death. That is also 6 deer that won't run in front of my or your car late at night.

You're asking us to sample a vegan diet, I am game if you will sample some of my venison chili or tacos sometime. A freezer full of Bambi is a wonderful thing and you will find most Missourians agree.

Hi, Inoxkeeper,

Just like everyone else on this planet, I have no way of fathoming God's intentions. He's never sat down on a bench in the park with me, or anyone else. But I can go by what's in my heart. And when I see things like pigs that are too sick to be used for their meat being slammed repeatedly head-first against concrete floors as a method for "disposing of them," I just don't feel that that God looks down with joy in His heart at the scene. When days-old piglets are castrated, with no anesthetic, screaming and kicking for their lives, or their teeth torn out with pliers - again, with no anesthetic - I feel that God must weep. When chickens are boiled to death because the slaughter line was moving too fast and the workers missed them - I don't know, 10 or 15 of them per hour, boiled alive, hung by their feet up-side down, well, I don't think God put them here on this earth to be abused in these ways.

If you really want to know the reality of the situation, go to websites like GoVeg.com // Cruelty to Animals: Mechanized Madness Kentucky Fried Cruelty :: Undercover Investigations :: George's, Inc. and PETA TV // Animal Rights TV to watch videos from undercover investigators

If you're strong enough to take it.

And, finally, on this particular point:

I don`t hold animals superior or even equal to humans. The whole case for behaving decently to animals rests on the fact that we are the superior species. We are the species uniquely capable of imagination, rationality, and moral choice - and that is precisely why we are under an obligation to recognize and respect the rights of animals.

Brigid Brophy

Next point: that's a seemingly good argument, about hunting being more merciful. In shooting them quickly, we spare the deer long, slow painful starving deaths. But you had actually pointed out the reason for the population explosion in deer, in the first place. We've killed all of their natural predators. So, what you're saying, in essence, is that we are saving the deer by killing the deer because we've killed the animals that would have, as TRUE carnivores, eaten the deer - in God's great plan, which we have interrupted - killed for our own purposes, like just not wanting to bother to protect ourselves by using our ingenuity while leaving bears and wolves, etc. to their own devices. They do it in parks like Yellowstone and Yosemite. They haven't killedthe bears and the wolves and the like. They live in peace with them. They've just learned to respect the ways of the predators, they know what's safe and what is not, and it works out. No need to obliterate an entire species at a time.

So, if we would not have bred so profusely, ourselves, and encroached into pretty much all of the remaining wild areas of the world, and decided we had a right to destroy everything that was there first, then the deer wouldn't have the problem of dying slow, painful starving deaths due to overpopulation to begin with.

I do, however, appreciate that you are actually using the deer for food, rather than hunting for sport only, and there is nothing we can do at the present time about the problems our ancestors created for us in upsetting God's intended balances in nature. If overpopulations exist, hunting is a quick, easy, cheap answer - even profitable, in a sense. But I'd like to find other, more integrated solutions.

This kind of death is certainly merciful, by comparison, though. I will tell you this: a shooting death and even a slow starvation are far and away better than what they get at any factory farm. It's better than they get at so-called "humane farms" - after which they get sent to the same horrific slaughterhouses, transported in the same cruel manners, frozen to the sides of the trucks, dying of exposure, or dying from the heat, and their intestines squeezed out of them from overcrowding. Like I said, watch the videos. See the pictures. If you can take it.

Finally, you wrote: You're asking us to sample a vegan diet, I am game if you will sample some of my venison chili or tacos sometime. A freezer full of Bambi is a wonderful thing and you will find most Missourians agree.

Ha, ha! I do sincerely enjoy your challenge. However, I was a happy omnivore till just a few years ago. I did a lot more than sample. I've done far more than my share of it. I even ate veal once, when I was 15 or 16 and didn't know any better. The truly egalitarian challenge would be for you to spend the next 27 years of your life being vegan, because that's how long I was omni. I felt very much the way you do. I only changed my mind when I did some research. And then I researched it some more. Turns out, everything I'd assumed was wrong. I'll say it again: the modern factory farm system is probably the furthest thing from the natural order of things anyone could imagine, and probably God's deepest sorrow.

I very much appreciated your well-thought out reply.

Liev

Old 06-18-2007, 07:42 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Liev,

You watched those pigs being thrown against the concrete? Would you like to share with us where you saw this?

As for the Iraq war, I don't think this is a place to discuss wars so I will say only one thing: I personally believe the WOMD existed but too much time was given so distroying or moving them became easy. I do beleive not enough thought was given to getting out in a timely manner.

Views versus facts, well we could all discuss this for ever, you are still giving your views perhaps backed by facts you choose to beleive. That is your right as an American, but no one really knows the true facts unless we are there to witness them.

George Bush's use of drugs and alcohol: alcohol, yes, drugs have not been documented and even if they are true and they may be, that was then, not now. When you were in college, if you were, did you do anything you wish you hadn't have done. I have two daughters and a son, all are outstanding citizens, involved in their comminity, doing volunteer work, raising great kids (2 are, one has chosen not to have children) and yet they are the first to admit their college days are best left behind. Did we use drugs in college? Nope, but did we do things I would like to push out of my mind? Sure we did.

Jobs being sent overseas? I am not certain any of us are excited about this, anymore than we like to push 1 for English or 2 for whatever, but are you sure the jobs that have gone overseas started with Bush? You are so great at quoted facts, check this one out!!!!

The war costing us, you better beleive it, just like all wars. It isn't cheap nor nice. war is ugly. We all wish war was something that never had to happen. BTW, I am not a complete Bush supporter. He was the best we had, but no, I will never say I think he is a great Pres. the last one of those was RR.

It may interest you to know, as conservative as my granddaughter is, she is not part of any religion. She is one of the few in our family that believes in a spiritual being, but doesn't practice any religion. Cultish club, what the heck is that all about?

Yes, you are far out, this does not mean you do not have a right to express your views, but because they are not with the main stream you should be prepared for a certain amount of feedback and I don't mean positive.

Mercury and fish, yes, pregant women are being warned, but our older granddaughter just had her first child; her OB/GYN who came highly recommended said Tuna was ok as long as she didn't eat it more than a couple times a week because of mercury. Maybe you have other facts that say something different. You seem to think you have facts for everything.

Again, all I have to say is: I am glad you are not moving to Mo where they have a conservative, republican governor.

Maybe you can find someplace with clean air where Asthma will not be an issue. If so let my son know. He has suffered for years and we raised him in rather clean air in Northern California. As for me and my old age or elderly as you put it, I am not having any breathing problems from bad air right now, lets hope this continues. What I have gotten from my aging is a little better understanding of how others think: something you will learn someday I hope. Nita

Old 06-18-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Liev,

You watched those pigs being thrown against the concrete? Would you like to share with us where you saw this?
She gave you SEVERAL links in her post about this. You should check them out. The videos are horrible! I had NO IDEA people could do this to animals. Loose morals for sure.

Thanks Liev

Old 06-18-2007, 08:34 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organica View Post
She gave you SEVERAL links in her post about this. You should check them out. The videos are horrible! I had NO IDEA people could do this to animals. Loose morals for sure.

Thanks Liev
and have you ever heard of doctoring pix? I am sorry, but I have a future grandson in law that has a ranch plus my sister raised pigs in northern Calif for years. They would never mistreat their animals.

My husband, being a semi retired newspaper person (prior to going into politics) makes me very aware of spin. Not only from him, but from my father I learned to beleive 1/2 of what I see and less of what I hear.

I am sure some are horrible to the animals but I do not beleive this is the norm. Have you heard that Lobsters scream when you put them live into boiling water? Not true!!!!!

nita

Old 06-18-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
and have you ever heard of doctoring pix? I am sorry, but I have a future grandson in law that has a ranch plus my sister raised pigs in northern Calif for years. They would never mistreat their animals.
Have I ever heard of doctoring pix? I have a Bachelor's Degree in Graphic Design. I pushed pixels for 5 years straight and still pushing away 4 years later!

These are videos. VERY hard to doctor unless you have a million dollar budget. Besides, why would anyone want to doctor these pictures and videos anyways? You should see the one where someone skins a small animal alive for its fur. Its still moving and blinking while trying to get away!! That was not doctored!!

Old 06-18-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:

Maybe you can find someplace with clean air where Asthma will not be an issue. If so let my son know. He has suffered for years and we raised him in rather clean air in Northern California.
I'm sorry to hear about your son and his asthma. I hear Arizona and New Mexico are best for this. Especially in the high desert. Dry air and low pollution. Northern California still has a lot of pollution from central California. Maybe this is why he still had issues there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri