Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2011, 09:21 PM

543 posts, read 855,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
The Carnahans unfortunately changed with their party. If the Democrat party was the Democrat party of 50 years ago they'd be right along with them.

Rolla to me seems Midwestern with a southern influence. Seems there was somewhat of a correlation with Oklahoma as well as Missouri when I was there due to I-44 running through the town. The university has many students from St. Louis and while Rolla is over 100 miles away from STL there is a much stronger link between Rolla and St. Louis than say Cape Girardeau & St. Louis. However, I've found that the residents of Rolla care more about their town, history & governing than the residents of Cape Girardeau do. I must say it was very interesting hearing discussions of Rolla's history while I was there this year.
True. If Mel was governor in the 1950s, early 60s with his baptist, southerness background he probably would be a segregationist, southern demo also.

Warren Hearnes was a known dixiecrat, segregationist from the bootheel when he was a lawmaker he helped block civil rights bills. Then when he became governor in the mid 1960s he switched and supported civil rights in order to get urban black vote.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
The Carnahans unfortunately changed with their party. If the Democrat party was the Democrat party of 50 years ago they'd be right along with them.

Rolla to me seems Midwestern with a southern influence. Seems there was somewhat of a correlation with Oklahoma as well as Missouri when I was there due to I-44 running through the town. The university has many students from St. Louis and while Rolla is over 100 miles away from STL there is a much stronger link between Rolla and St. Louis than say Cape Girardeau & St. Louis. However, I've found that the residents of Rolla care more about their town, history & governing than the residents of Cape Girardeau do. I must say it was very interesting hearing discussions of Rolla's history while I was there this year.
I think this explains why Mel became a liberal. He was born in far southern MO, but went to school and was educated in DC. Bob Holden also Grew up in Birch Tree, but went to college at Harvard! Doesn't really matter where you're born. Most liberals develop in their college years. Look at Al Gore.

I'd consider the Carnahan's southerners though otherwise.

Carnahan graduated from high school in Washington, D.C., and earned a Bachelor of Arts in business administration from George Washington University.

Mel Carnahan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-24-2011, 03:01 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,881,910 times
SOUTHERN And I like it!

Old 05-25-2011, 08:52 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,812,644 times
As a lifelong resident of the upper midwest (Michigan) I can tell you that we consider Missouri and Kentucky both to be more southern. In fact my grandparents moved up here from central Missouri and we consider that part of our family to be southern. We also believe our missouri ancestors fought in a grey uniform during the war. Is Missouri completly southern?? no as it definately has some lower midwest qualities. Really it comes down to perspective, if your sitting up here in Michigan or Wisconsin your going to say its kind of southern, however in Mississippi and Alabama Missouri looks downright midwestern. Its a transition zone that possess qualities of both regions. The census calls it midwestern, so officially I guess that is what it is.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
As a lifelong resident of the upper midwest (Michigan) I can tell you that we consider Missouri and Kentucky both to be more southern. In fact my grandparents moved up here from central Missouri and we consider that part of our family to be southern. We also believe our missouri ancestors fought in a grey uniform during the war. Is Missouri completly southern?? no as it definately has some lower midwest qualities. Really it comes down to perspective, if your sitting up here in Michigan or Wisconsin your going to say its kind of southern, however in Mississippi and Alabama Missouri looks downright midwestern. Its a transition zone that possess qualities of both regions. The census calls it midwestern, so officially I guess that is what it is.
Census also considers DE a southern state which is NOT the case. Even MD is rarely ever called southern anymore and WV the narrow part that extends up into OH and PA lies as far north as MO northern border.

the tip of the bootheel is just a hours drive from the state of MISSISSIPPI.

If they decided to split MO in half, South MO would be a southern state.

KY and MO are also similar politically. Since the end of the civil war they tended to be dominated by Democrats. However not total domination as republicans would win some elections, but not very many. Unlike the rest of the other 11 confederate states that were totally dominated by Democrats.

Also on a national level Kentucky, and Missouri's Federal politicians were more favorable to the civil rights act. Both of Kentucky and Missouri's senators all voted for it. However in the House, congressmen from Southern MO voted against it, as well as some of the KY ones too.

At the state level though the politicans were more segregationist. In MO they were very, very close to passing a poll tax in the 1900s but failed by a couple votes due to St. Louis.

This represents the border state status. Same as WEst Virginia excluding Robert Byrd. Maryland is another story as they were a lot more liberal.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:12 AM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizi Girl View Post
Midwestern, not southern at all. Neither is Kentucky.
Disagree

Old 05-26-2011, 07:15 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
In MO they were very, very close to passing a poll tax in the 1900s but failed by a couple votes due to St. Louis.
Well thank god for St. Louis then.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:35 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizi Girl View Post
Midwestern, not southern at all. Neither is Kentucky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Disagree
Also disagree. Having lived in AL, NC (twice), VA (twice), GA, KY and TX (twice) and now living in MO, I'd say from my direct experience and knowledge of both that KY as well as MO south, of I-44, are both quite southern.

I also spent three years going to school in MN and have children and grandchildren in OH whom we visit regularly so I know a bit about the Midwest. There are decidedly differences between them and where we live.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:31 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Also disagree. Having lived in AL, NC (twice), VA (twice), GA, KY and TX (twice) and now living in MO, I'd say from my direct experience and knowledge of both that KY as well as MO south, of I-44, are both quite southern.

I also spent three years going to school in MN and have children and grandchildren in OH whom we visit regularly so I know a bit about the Midwest. There are decidedly differences between them and where we live.
Actually, Missouri does not become decidedly Southern until you pass south of US60.
I grew up south of I-44, trust me, its not all Southern.

Last edited by kshe95girl; 05-26-2011 at 10:04 AM..

Old 05-26-2011, 10:00 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,036,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post

now THIS is a breath of fresh air common sense........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri