Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 01:33 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times

Advertisements

I'd love for Henderson to win this fight, but I just don't see how.

Please don't say landing a crushing right hand to Jones' head, the whole puncher's chance thing from a guy who is much slower, doesn't do a lot with kicks, and will have a 13 inch reach disadvantage isn't a good answer. Sure I'll acknowledge it isn't impossible especially since Jones isn't technically solid on his feet, but if that is how he'll win then there is little chance for a Hendo win. If Hendo plans on just stalking to line up the H-bomb he'll end up looking like Rua with a misshapen face.

Rashad has far more explosive takedowns than Hendo and he couldn't do anything to get Jones on his back, how can a guy like Hendo who relies more on clinchwork for take downs where Jones is both much less vulnerable and more dangerous going to do it? Despite the greco creds I think anyone Hendo's size clinching with Jon Jones will end up on their back with elbows splitting open their face.

Help me out here, how's this go down with Hendo winning? Catching a foot or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 01:39 PM

Furthermore I'd rather see a buffed up Chael Sonnen fight Jon Jones than Henderson, he's got a much better chance of putting Jones on his back IMO.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:29 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
im not so sure about this fight. hendo has looked pretty solid in his last couple of fights but jones style (or lack there of) just doesnt work well for hendo. i really have not given a lot of thought about this fight, it has been a bit of a foregone conclusion that jones wins so it hasnt interested me as much. i will say im more interested in hendo then machida vs jones though.

i will say that jones chin hasnt been tested MUCH, and as long as hendo doesnt fall in love with the big right, he can and should test it. hendo has made a living off taking bigger guys and pushing them up against the fence, jones hasnt had that really. can hendo make jones uncomfortable? will he over try that "unpredictable" yet oh so predictable spinning elbow like he did with rampage and rashad? hendo has a better chin then anyone jones has faced as well. wonder if hendo can frustrate jones.

in the end, while i cant stand jones, even a little bit, and hendo is the man regardless of outcome, i dont think hendo can win this one without that lucky bomb.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:01 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,710 times
i wont be ordering this PPV. a win for Jones is pretty much a foregone conclusion, and more importantly, the rest of the card is VERY weak.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:42 PM

Between injuries and zuffa/fox trying to put to many cards on has really watered down most of the cards.

This is just one more reason I'm focusing more on local, state and regional events.
Don't get me wrong I love the UFC, no Better talent anywhere obviously but I miss the days of stacked cards once a month or every other month.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:22 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Between injuries and zuffa/fox trying to put to many cards on has really watered down most of the cards.

This is just one more reason I'm focusing more on local, state and regional events.
Don't get me wrong I love the UFC, no Better talent anywhere obviously but I miss the days of stacked cards once a month or every other month.
Agreed... too many cards. I find myself often enjoying the Bellator events as much as UFC, and Bellator's on cable for free!

Old 08-14-2012, 05:39 PM

Me four, despite this one at least having a championship fight its pretty weak overall. I remember back when the weaker cards were the ones showing up for free on Spike so you'd forgive 'em some since hey its free. Now even the free stuff is so watered down its hardly worth watching, and charging PPV price for events headlined by two has-beens like Franklin vs. Wandy? Come on.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:54 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,710 times
actually, i find that alot of the free cards (anymore) are stronger than the PPVs. the free FOX Shogun/Vera card was pretty interesting. more interesting (and sensible IMO), would have been Shogun v. Machida III, and Bader v. Vera. on the other hand, for this next PPV, outside of the main event, i haven't even heard of half of these guys on the card.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:31 PM

Okay so now that it is obvious Chael Sonnen is trying to smack-talk his way into a fight with Jones, if both Jones and Sonnen win their fights anyone think that will jump ahead of Machida leading off the recycling of 205ers who's asses Jones has kicked?

It really wouldn't surprise me, UFC is a business and Sonnen talking for 4 months will in the end probably sell a lot more PPVs than the prospect of another Machida counter-striking until Jones gets a hold of him event. To be honest I'd rather see Jones/Sonnen than most other 205 contenders, even if it is just to see Sonnen get elbowed to death.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:12 AM

you know i dont think they would skip machida, dana loves machida.

i think sonnen miss timed his smack talking and i expect it will end after the hendo fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)