Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Will it End?
Nunes - KO or TKO Win 15 45.45%
Rousey - Submission Win 14 42.42%
Fight Goes Full Rounds, Ends with Descision 4 12.12%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 02:39 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,191,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Basically, this.

The only way that Nunes wins is if Ronda tries to box again. She "should" know better by now.
Well from what I am hearing, Ronda has a new boxing coach she's been working with. So, if that's true, she'll probably see boxing as a legit part of her arsenal in the fight, especially if her camp is still building her up as a great boxer, and telling her she's doing good when she isn't -like Edmond did against Holly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfRcOhj9CT8

Last edited by HappyRain; 10-27-2016 at 03:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 04:32 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Well from what I am hearing, Ronda has a new boxing coach she's been working with. So, if that's true, she'll probably see boxing as a legit part of her arsenal in the fight, especially if her camp is still building her up as a great boxer, and telling her she's doing good when she isn't -like Edmond did against Holly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfRcOhj9CT8
Yeah, that's why I said "should"....who knows what she'll actually try? But she'd be foolish to think she can box her way to victory.

MMA 101....do what you're best at, and learn the other stuff so you can defend against it. It's why everyone that competes needs at least a basic understanding of BJJ...so they don't get tied in a pretzel every time they fight.

For Ronda, "doing what you're best at" means judo. If she learns anything else, it should be with the mindset of defending against it, not trying to win with it. But it's hilarious to watch her not learn.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:39 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Yeah, that's why I said "should"....who knows what she'll actually try? But she'd be foolish to think she can box her way to victory.

MMA 101....do what you're best at, and learn the other stuff so you can defend against it. It's why everyone that competes needs at least a basic understanding of BJJ...so they don't get tied in a pretzel every time they fight.

For Ronda, "doing what you're best at" means judo. If she learns anything else, it should be with the mindset of defending against it, not trying to win with it. But it's hilarious to watch her not learn.
Top level judoka with good matwork can pick up bjj pretty quick.

Old 11-04-2016, 04:36 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Top level judoka with good matwork can pick up bjj pretty quick.
if and only if they get rid of the mental block that judo has instilled in so many over the years.
unfortunately most dont seem to want to push politics and tradition aside.
and of those who do, the bulk still think their judo newaza is on par and tend to find out ITS NOT.

juso newaza is bluebelt bjj at best 90% of the time. purple belt 9%.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
if and only if they get rid of the mental block that judo has instilled in so many over the years.
unfortunately most dont seem to want to push politics and tradition aside.
and of those who do, the bulk still think their judo newaza is on par and tend to find out ITS NOT.

juso newaza is bluebelt bjj at best 90% of the time. purple belt 9%.

*Top level, look at Flavio Canto, Travis Stevens, Koji Komuro, Kitadai etc.

I think you are basing your opinion on the standard of club level judo in the US, which quite frankly is not very high.

Old 11-05-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:

I think you are basing your opinion on the standard of club level judo in the US, which quite frankly is not very high.
Not a single one of those guys are pure judoka.
Case in point Travis has been training bjj for more than a decade, and while he's a solid bjj player, he's not "great"
He choked his way to the Olympic finals, fairly easily, but got choked fairly easily by a guy who's above average in the bjj world but has never done better than 3rd (in a 10 man bracket) in major competition.
Renato Cardoso.

He lost Paulo Miyao who was giving up easily 50 lbs to Travis.

Those guys listed would fall in the 9% maybe 1% of all judoka and every one of them cross trains bjj.

Old 11-05-2016, 03:18 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
There is so much hate towards Rousey, much of which I find totally unwarranted. That being said, I think she is focusing on this fight, unlike the Holms fight where she was so busy marketing the UFC (and quite successfully) that she just didn't get in enough training time.

I believe we will see the Rousey that dominated the division, and this fight might not get out of the first round with Rousey winning.

Old 11-05-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Case in point Travis has been training bjj for more than a decade, and while he's a solid bjj player, he's not "great"
He choked his way to the Olympic finals, fairly easily, but got choked fairly easily by a guy who's above average in the bjj world but has never done better than 3rd (in a 10 man bracket) in major competition.
Renato Cardoso.

Those guys listed would fall in the 9% maybe 1% of all judoka and every one of them cross trains bjj.
side note, the "judo mental block" i mentioned, travis stevens even talks a bit about it in his interview with gracie mag about his fight with miyao.

Old 11-05-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Renato Cardoso.

This is just not true. Travis never trained in BJJ, before meeting Dave Camarillo and cross trained ad hock for 6 months. He later switched to Renzo's and went through the belt system in 18 months, he had roughly 2 years training to get to black. This was because he had to up his game to be able to hang with Canto.

Canto and Kitadai have some ad hock cross training, though Cantos game has barely changed since he was a pure judoka. He is an honorary black belt.

Koji Komuro is a Kosen Judoka and honorary bjj black belt. He has never formally trained in the art.

Old 11-05-2016, 07:08 PM

465 posts, read 418,400 times
I actually like Ronda Rousey(R2) alot, but I think she will be knocked out. R2 experienced a significant KO, so much so, that she was completely out of it after the fight. In Boxing follow-on fights results in KOs(almost like the start of punch drunk). The good news is that she appeared to follow PACman's approach of taking a lot of time off so maybe she is fully recovered.

Also, I watched a couple of her interviews since the KO. She acts like she is broken, like a tamed bucking bronco. I think she is going through the motions. Her reaction to the first solid punch will provide an early indicator of where she is at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)