Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:23 PM

3 posts, read 4,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemom52 View Post
For what it's worth, an employee at the Gulf Shores Publix told me that within 18 months, Mobile will have two Publix... he mentioned the Hillcrest/Cottage Hill location, but wasn't specific about anywhere else. I've heard Midtown from others, however.

If they're coming, I just wish they'd hurry up.

I totally agree with you. I even went to the Publix website and emailed for information and they responded right away that they are looking into it. I saw it in the paper too once but never any other info. Everyone should write Publix on the website and get them moving....haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 08:28 PM

3 posts, read 4,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuhall View Post
The new WD in midtown will certainly help convince more families to move to midtown vs. the suburbs. When my wife and I first moved to Mobile in 2009 she came home crying after seeing the grocery store options. And I mean she was literally crying! Tears and all.

that's exactly how I feel since I moved here a few months ago...the choices for groceries are quite pathetic. I've tried Brunos on Airport but its way over priced and limited selection - especially fruits and produce. I couldn't believe how bad it was. Publix just can't get here fast enough in my opinion. I will be the first in line. Same with a Dunkin Donuts - Mobile needs to get new businesses that have clean stores and better selections

Old 07-13-2011, 07:30 AM

5,001 posts, read 9,147,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileTransplant View Post
Same with a Dunkin Donuts - Mobile needs to get new businesses that have clean stores and better selections

I agree !

Old 07-13-2011, 09:18 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileTransplant View Post
that's exactly how I feel since I moved here a few months ago...the choices for groceries are quite pathetic. I've tried Brunos on Airport but its way over priced and limited selection - especially fruits and produce. I couldn't believe how bad it was. Publix just can't get here fast enough in my opinion. I will be the first in line. Same with a Dunkin Donuts - Mobile needs to get new businesses that have clean stores and better selections
Ehh, Dunkin can stay away with their dried up doughnuts and overrated coffee.

Krispy Kreme is king in Mobile.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:15 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,969,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Ehh, Dunkin can stay away with their dried up doughnuts and overrated coffee.

Krispy Kreme is king in Mobile.
Ahh yes, Krispy Kreme. I remember my dad used to take me to the one on Airport Blvd all the time as a kid when we lived in Mobile. Been hooked ever since. I guess it's a southern thing.

However, in defense of Dunkin', their doughnut holes can't be beat!

Back to the subject at hand... I hope for the sake of the citizens of Mobile, you guys do end up getting a Publix AND a Kroger. Both good stores! Honestly, I can't believe Mobile hasn't gotten either one, though I suppose the distribution center problem is the issue as mentioned earlier.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:22 PM

11 posts, read 29,956 times
The thread title is misleading. Publix IS coming to Mobile. Publix IS also going to build a distribution center somewhere in the tri-state area in order to establish its next regional conquest.

Publix is a great grocery store that caters to a certain population - those that want the Publix experience, "where shopping is a pleasure". They will not out-price anyone in the long term except Fresh Market and Whole Foods but they will lower prices when there is a Kroger nearby.

While the Winn Dixie in Mid-town is a significant improvement, it is not quite like Publix. Its hot food choices are better, however.

Publix is predatory. It likes to put its stores everywhere in a community, lower prices for a time, and run out others and keep out others. They get involved politically and sway local governments to keep competition out such as Super Wal-Mart and Whole Foods if one is not already nearby by using zoning (both need a larger footprint than Publix) . It has been known to make itself the only grocery store option in entire cities in Florida. Guess what happens to the prices when that happens.

Publix does a great job marketing and providing the experience. They carry great foods, organic options, and healthy varieties that are hard to find in other stores, and their store brand food is also very good. The employees are well-trained, attentive, friendly, well-paid and they bring jobs and benefits. They make it a nice experience for the shopper.

Kroger needs to come in also, however, or everyone will be adding dollars to their grocery budgets or shopping at Wal-Mart.

Last edited by GatoRaid; 07-30-2011 at 02:30 PM..

Old 07-31-2011, 01:47 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,799,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatoRaid View Post
The thread title is misleading. Publix IS coming to Mobile. Publix IS also going to build a distribution center somewhere in the tri-state area in order to establish its next regional conquest.
Great to hear this and would like to believe it as the truth since you seem to state this as fact... but do you have the background info to back this statement up, i.e., newspaper or magazine articles, statements or announcements from Publix, inside scoop... anything other than just your opinion?

Not meaning to sound doubtful of what you claim, but you can see our position here... otherwise, anybody could come on here and state anything as fact just because they felt like it.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:03 PM

11 posts, read 29,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
Great to hear this and would like to believe it as the truth since you seem to state this as fact... but do you have the background info to back this statement up, i.e., newspaper or magazine articles, statements or announcements from Publix, inside scoop... anything other than just your opinion?

Not meaning to sound doubtful of what you claim, but you can see our position here... otherwise, anybody could come on here and state anything as fact just because they felt like it.
I understand your need for proof. I can tell you I know for certain. This is a message board, and yes, anyone can say anything. I cannot link you to anything because I do not have my information from any link. It is for sure.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:35 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,799,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatoRaid View Post
I understand your need for proof. I can tell you I know for certain. This is a message board, and yes, anyone can say anything. I cannot link you to anything because I do not have my information from any link. It is for sure.
Just call me "Missouri"... I'll believe it when I see it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area