Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2013, 03:32 PM

31 posts, read 76,575 times

Advertisements

Real estate confuses me, but I'm new to the whole thing and don't know much about it. Up until now I've been a renter but now it's almost time to buy. I've been looking at property values in Semmes and I see that the prices vary widely even among properties that are just 2 miles apart. For example, I just saw one that was asking $40k/acre and another one that was asking $133k per acre. Both were just land without anything on them. Both were near Howell's Ferry Rd. What gives? Is the guy asking $133k dreaming?

The only real difference I could see between them is that the $40k/acre one was farther out from a major road and the other one was right on a major road. But really, is that going to create a price difference of $93k? It seems ludicrous to me. Maybe someone else has all this figured out.

Also, we recently saw a house in Semmes sitting on an acre and half and the house is very old and needs repairs. The people are asking less for the house+land than the land by itself could sell for (in theory). Why would people do that? It has no liens or anything like that.

Ultimately what I'm looking for is 1-2 acres in Semmes with or without a house on it that I can buy in 6mo-12mo and resell after the market goes up in a few years and make some money on. Someone told me a demolition costs up to $10k; does Semmes allow you to do a demolition yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area