Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 07:47 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
No they are not, looking at google earth pro you definitely seeing more subdivision rising up in west Mobile at a quicker rate.

I'm kind of wonder why a couple of (i would say been built but not complete) subdivision aren't selling land for construction, Big one is the failed Town of Saltaire near where I grew up. They only made a portion of the original 1250 lots supposed to be constructed before the recession essentially shut them down. But they still have about 30-50 plots already subdivided and ready to build, I wonder why they aren't selling right now with such a hot market
If they would go forward with the development I think it would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 08:08 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,219,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
If they would go forward with the development I think it would.

There ain't much left to develop as the county bought most of the undeveloped land for preservation of the marshes it would have been on, (So at least the unused land is still being put to good use) but I still think they should develop what land they still own which could house another 30-50 on top what is already developed

Old 03-30-2021, 06:58 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
There ain't much left to develop as the county bought most of the undeveloped land for preservation of the marshes it would have been on, (So at least the unused land is still being put to good use) but I still think they should develop what land they still own which could house another 30-50 on top what is already developed
That development was going to have it's on school district, retail and restaurants within the community right ?

Old 03-30-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
That development was going to have it's on school district, retail and restaurants within the community right ?

no it was just gonna have a restaurant. But it would probably have lead to a new elementary school as the nearest one was like 5 miles away @ holinger's island

Old 04-10-2021, 05:33 AM

17 posts, read 15,675 times
I have lived in midtown Mobile for 5 years, and I regret ever moving and buying here. True, the cost of living here is cheaper than Denver....but you get what you pay for. If you have any desire to live in a progressive society, look elsewhere. There is a 10% sales tax on everything, including prescription meds and groceries. There is no state lottery permitted.....we can’t even get to vote on that. There is no such thing as Medical Marijuana. No alcohol sales before noon on Sundays. The weather is abysmal.
Our state government and federal representation are an embarrassment. While there are atheists here, you can count on your life and freedoms being dictated by an antiquated fundamental Christian dogma.
Sure, property taxes are ridiculously low. And our Police Dept, public schools and cratered sidewalks are a reflection of those low taxes.
On the other hand, the beaches are very nice, and the local seafood is delicious.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-10-2021, 07:15 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,860,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawz33 View Post
I have lived in midtown Mobile for 5 years, and I regret ever moving and buying here. True, the cost of living here is cheaper than Denver....but you get what you pay for. If you have any desire to live in a progressive society, look elsewhere. There is a 10% sales tax on everything, including prescription meds and groceries. There is no state lottery permitted.....we can’t even get to vote on that. There is no such thing as Medical Marijuana. No alcohol sales before noon on Sundays. The weather is abysmal.
Our state government and federal representation are an embarrassment. While there are atheists here, you can count on your life and freedoms being dictated by an antiquated fundamental Christian dogma.
Sure, property taxes are ridiculously low. And our Police Dept, public schools and cratered sidewalks are a reflection of those low taxes.
On the other hand, the beaches are very nice, and the local seafood is delicious.
Just my 2 cents.
I’m sorry you feel this way. Most of this is a reflection of the state and not midtown.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:24 AM

261 posts, read 202,337 times
Quote:
Just my 2 cents.
Dang, you can’t sit back on a Sunday and get high and drunk while checking your lotto numbers? My heart breaks for you. “If the world was like me, it’d be a better place.” Most of your problems are personal ones, and if you have such a big problem living here then please move to another city so you can drink before noon on a Sunday while you discuss how much you hate Christians. If your life is so bad then move to somewhere that you think will make it better. Don’t move somewhere and think that society will move to cater to your will, and when it doesn’t, then you trash the city and actively seek to make people not move here.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:37 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,860,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedoggbry View Post
Dang, you can’t sit back on a Sunday and get high and drunk while checking your lotto numbers? My heart breaks for you. “If the world was like me, it’d be a better place.” Most of your problems are personal ones, and if you have such a big problem living here then please move to another city so you can drink before noon on a Sunday while you discuss how much you hate Christians. If your life is so bad then move to somewhere that you think will make it better. Don’t move somewhere and think that society will move to cater to your will, and when it doesn’t, then you trash the city and actively seek to make people not move here.
There’s some middle ground here. Unfortunately, the state is under the influence of some Evangelicals who are among the least tolerant. This is hardly a good trait at any level.

However, there is a difference in “progressive” and worried about playing the lottery.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Just my 2 cents.

It sounds like you have a problem with the state rather than the actual city. Just about every complaint you have is outside the control of the city and is rather a state law/ jurisdiction.

Old 04-10-2021, 02:28 PM

17 posts, read 15,675 times
I figured my comments would draw the ire of some of the regulars. I don't gamble, smoke weed or drink to excess. I was answering the OP’s question. She asked if it was crazy to move here, not is Mobile well governed, or hindered by Montgomery. 28 years in the military afforded me the opportunity to live in quite a number of places. I have past experiences to draw upon. Mobile is simply not my cup of tea.
A state as financially disadvantaged as Alabama ought to look at opportunities to increase state revenue, not quote scripture. Lottery money earmarked to fund education or healthcare, not the general slush fund would be progressive, IMHO. Easing pain and suffering via medical marijuana would be progressive. And with regard to alcohol sales on Sunday....Jesus just doesn’t care!!
Natedoggbry, why the hostility? I guess the truth hurts, huh? If people like you would stop trying to impose your beliefs and values on others, the world would be a much better place....including Mobile. Buddy, I would love to take your advice and unass this AO, but my responsibilities dictate otherwise.
As I have already stated, I rue the day I accepted a job offer here. In 6 more years, I will be pension eligible, sell my house and happily leave this place. In the meantime, I will share my opinions when asked, just as you all like to make yours known.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area