Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 10:55 AM

426 posts, read 382,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trying914 View Post
which is sorta less congested....esp for the future
This is a tough one. Eastern shore is growing at an almost unsustainable growth which is going to cause issues in the future. Right now Mobile (Western Shore isn't how we refer to it) has more congestion, but I can easily see the Eastern Shore getting worse and worse as the years go by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2022, 11:01 AM

26 posts, read 23,032 times
what do you call the western shore then? lol, just "Mobile" ?

also, which area is far more conservative by current standards (not in the last 20....defs have changed lol)

Old 05-24-2022, 11:01 AM

13,616 posts, read 7,932,752 times
Quote:
by "better", I mean amenities, safety, transportation access, modern *stuff*
No. Both sides are pretty self-sufficient in that there is little need to cross over, though of course people do cross over all the time.

Mobile County (west of the bay) is more densely populated and developed as Mobile is an old, historic city with a port and industry.

Baldwin County (east of the bay) has a lot of newer, low-density development. It's much more suburban in character overall.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:42 AM

426 posts, read 382,707 times
Quote:
what do you call the western shore then? lol, just "Mobile" ?

also, which area is far more conservative by current standards (not in the last 20....defs have changed lol)
Yep, we just call it Mobile haha.

I would say they are pretty even in terms of %. Mobile is just much larger and with more people so there will be more of each side tbh. Downtown/Midtown is more liberal than West Mobile/Springhill/Saraland in Mobile, and Fairhope is more liberal than Daphne/Spanish Fort/Ect in the Eastern Shore.

Old 05-24-2022, 02:03 PM

490 posts, read 464,186 times
I have lived here almost all my life and I have just started hearing people refer to the areas along the bay south of Mobile as the "Western Shore".

I would say Eastern Shore is more conservative than Mobile.

Old 05-24-2022, 02:47 PM

13,616 posts, read 7,932,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evlb401 View Post
I have lived here almost all my life and I have just started hearing people refer to the areas along the bay south of Mobile as the "Western Shore".
I've never heard it referred to as the western shore.

It just makes me think of Led Zeppelin, We come from the land of the ice and snow...

"On we sweep with threshing oar
Our only goal will be the western shore"

Old 05-24-2022, 03:06 PM

864 posts, read 587,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evlb401 View Post

I would say Eastern Shore is more conservative than Mobile.

As someone who grew up in that area... I actually really like that name for some reason and I hope that the name catches popularity. Belle Fontaine-Fowl River-Mon Louis-Alabama Port as the "Western Shore" is actually pretty solid in my mind

Old 05-24-2022, 04:34 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,154,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandWave View Post
As someone who grew up in that area... I actually really like that name for some reason and I hope that the name catches popularity. Belle Fontaine-Fowl River-Mon Louis-Alabama Port as the "Western Shore" is actually pretty solid in my mind
I like it too and it make sense.

Old 05-24-2022, 05:20 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,154,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandWave View Post
I like it too and it make sense.

Old 05-26-2022, 03:48 PM

26 posts, read 23,032 times
soooo.. as a southerner, conservative, business oriented individual....best options? I have no real interest in being around a bunch of transplants that are trying to change south AL, change FL, change GA, change south MS etc.....sooooo??? We own prop south of Bham and that's bad enough in the past 10 or so....everything and everywhere changes which can be a good thing, but it also can be a bad thing! We have neighbors in FL from CA and the NE who don't like us and we don't like them..I like people who are friendly but not the overbearing loudmouth types who don't respect the southern history, culture, food, religion, etc...some of these people are beginning to make us quite sick...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area