Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 08:45 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,860,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
most people in Mibile want to move there.
This makes it seem like your realtor is out of touch in this regard or has ulterior motives. It's a shame.

Regardless, for your tastes and your price range, and wanting a lack of the "crazy long" commute, I would concentrate first on midtown - Oakleigh, Ashland Place, and Old Dauphin Way are some good areas to scout. FYI, Mobile, east of I-65 is certainly the most liberal area of the Mobile Bay region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 09:32 AM

240 posts, read 213,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Really the only reason I'd recommend Baldwin over Mobile would be if you're scared of black people, as you might not be too comfortable in Mobile if you are.
The reality I guess, is there are some people to be scared of for good reason, whether white, black, brown or green.

One good reason is crime stat.

The chance that a person will become a victim of a violent crime in Mobile; such as armed robbery, aggravated assault, rape or murder; is 1 in 225. ... In Mobile, your chance of becoming a victim of a property crime is one in 31, which is a rate of 32 per one thousand population.

You'd have to chose lots of other neighborhoods to buy in, live and enjoy than just about most places in Mobile proper.

Here is a graphic example. Don't be a dumb bunny when it comes to crime, so lets NOT pretend about demographic specificity when it comes to certain types of crime. Have you seen the stats? watch TV/media of thefts in broad daylight? Are you aware of the drug problem in Mobile?

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

@OP, MsRiss only:

You said you're looking for safety? a place to walk your dogs day and night? Sorry, I damn sure would not make my FIRST choice ANYWHERE close to "urban Mobile".

Never....too many much better, safer neighborhoods ! why take a KNOWN, needless risk?

Take a close look at the above link. Don't believe the BS...maybe your Real Estate Agent is actually looking out for your safety.

I have relatives all OVER coastal AL, and none of them live or would ever live in Urban Mobile no matter how much revitalization is going on LOL . We know better. Heck, do what's best for you and your own safety first, I have no dog in the fight, I live in Sarasota lol.

Safety first! Take off the rose-colored glasses. Facts matter. Live matter, especially your own.

Last edited by Yac; 08-03-2021 at 11:00 PM..

Old 07-30-2021, 09:57 AM

490 posts, read 464,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMerendino View Post
The reality I guess, is there are some people to be scared of for good reason, whether white, black, brown or green.

The chance that a person will become a victim of a violent crime in Mobile; such as armed robbery, aggravated assault, rape or murder; is 1 in 225. ... In Mobile, your chance of becoming a victim of a property crime is one in 31, which is a rate of 32 per one thousand population.

You'd have to chose lots of other neighborhoods to buy in, live and enjoy than just about most places in Mobile proper.

Here is a graphic example. Don't be a dumb bunny when it comes to crime, so lets NOT pretend about demographic specificity when it comes to certain types of crime. Have you seen the stats? watch TV/media of thefts in broad daylight? Are you aware of the drug problem in Mobile?

@OP, MsRiss only:

You said you're looking for safety? a place to walk your dogs day and night? Sorry, I damn sure would not make my FIRST choice ANYWHERE close to "urban Mobile".

Never....too many much better, safer neighborhoods ! why take a KNOWN, needless risk?

Take a close look at the above link. Don't believe the BS...maybe your Real Estate Agent is actually looking out for your safety.

I have relatives all OVER coastal AL, and none of them live or would ever live in Urban Mobile no matter how much revitalization is going on LOL . We know better. Heck, do what's best for you and your own safety first, I have no dog in the fight, I live in Sarasota lol.

Safety first! Take off the rose-colored glasses. Facts matter. Live matter, especially your own.
Well lets take advice from some one that lives no where near Mobile and has no first hand knowledge of the city. SMH.

Plus Sarasota FL has a crime rate of 38 per one thousand for property crime, 27 per one thousand for violent crime, and has a MASSIVE drug problem. One would think Sarasota is Port-au-Prince Haiti by the description. Is Sarasota a crime infested hole and do you live in the ghetto? No, just like Sarasota has one of the highest crime rates in the country and still has safe areas.... so does Mobile.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:02 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,219,260 times
Quote:

@OP, MsRiss only:

I would like to point out that Mobile is actually nearly twice as safe as there previous home of Denver. Mobile is also one of the safest major cities in South (the safest of the 4 major cities in Alabama) beating out nearly every other city in our class. It appears that the negative stigma still continues, not sure how you can have an opinion of an area which you don’t live in or have no family that lives in it

Old 07-30-2021, 10:03 AM

240 posts, read 213,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsky View Post
This makes it seem like your realtor is out of touch in this regard or has ulterior motives. It's a shame.
Sorry, that seems a wee bit unfair and possibly misinformed to say the least.

Perhaps, just perhaps the real estate agent knows a bit more about local community goings-on than most others not in the real estate business sector.

Perhaps the agent knows more about re-sale activity, market evaluations, future residential and commercial developments/investments for the future around the Bay.

How it THAT characterized as a "shame" ?

The real estate agent is going to get PAID on ANY transaction no matter if it's in city centre, midtown or ghetto areas, or sprawling suburban subdivisions waay outside Mobile proper.

What would be an ulterior motive in this matter - maybe selling more expensive areas? kick-backs? lol
What exactly? personal choice? selling own property? lol, a friend's development?

Old 07-30-2021, 10:05 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,219,260 times
Mobile is ACTUALLY SAFER than your city of Sarasota

Old 07-30-2021, 10:13 AM

490 posts, read 464,186 times
I don't think the agent has an alternative motive. Just that they don't know anything about Mobile. Most realtors in Mobile and Baldwin Counties don't cross the bay and sell in their own counties. They even have separate MLS. You can't sell something you know nothing about. And lets face it, suburban folks have stereo types of urban areas that are unfounded.

My new neighbor two houses down... moved to Mobile from Fairhope for a shorter commute used a Baldwin realtor..at first. They said that their realtor thought they were crazy and tried to get them to buy in Spanish Fort. My neighbors have been nothing but happy with their move to Mobile. They ended up firing their realtor and hired someone more knowledgeable about the neighborhood.

My advice.... Tell them you want to look in these areas. If they don't want to show you houses in Midtown or anywhere else you want to look...then fire them and get a new realtor because they are doing you an injustice.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:23 AM

13,619 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Quote:

Perhaps, just perhaps the real estate agent knows a bit more about local community goings-on than most others not in the real estate business sector.

Perhaps the agent knows more about re-sale activity, market evaluations, future residential and commercial developments/investments for the future around the Bay.

The real estate agent is going to get PAID on ANY transaction no matter if it's in city centre, midtown or ghetto areas, or sprawling suburban subdivisions waay outside Mobile proper.

What would be an ulterior motive in this matter - maybe selling more expensive areas? kick-backs? lol
What exactly? personal choice? selling own property? lol, a friend's development?
Realtors are just as susceptible to subconscious biases as anybody else.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:26 AM

13,619 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evlb401 View Post
I don't think the agent has an alternative motive. Just that they don't know anything about Mobile. Most realtors in Mobile and Baldwin Counties don't cross the bay and sell in their own counties. They even have separate MLS. You can't sell something you know nothing about. And lets face it, suburban folks have stereo types of urban areas that are unfounded.

My new neighbor two houses down... moved to Mobile from Fairhope for a shorter commute used a Baldwin realtor..at first. They said that their realtor thought they were crazy and tried to get them to buy in Spanish Fort. My neighbors have been nothing but happy with their move to Mobile. They ended up firing their realtor and hired someone more knowledgeable about the neighborhood.

My advice.... Tell them you want to look in these areas. If they don't want to show you houses in Midtown or anywhere else you want to look...then fire them and get a new realtor because they are doing you an injustice.
There's definitely an anti-Mobile perception among lots of people on the Eastern Shore. I even see it in Escambia Co where I live. Lots of folks here prefer to do their shopping in Pensacola and Eastern Shore rather than venturing into Mobile, even though Mobile is actually a shorter drive due to I-65.

I blame FOX10. That, and a fear of "urban" black people. Country black people are okay

Old 07-30-2021, 10:57 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Quote:

You are welcome to chime in as you should but why did you choose to only chime in on this topic ? What about all of the other topics? I have never seen you post anything in this forum besides today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area