Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 11:36 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,220,359 times

Advertisements

What cities/areas around Mobile do you consider to be Lower/Middle/Upper class cities? If you want to go farther you can also add upper-middle class and lower-middle class
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2021, 12:02 PM

Here's my list

Upper Class:
Spanish Fort
Dauphin Island

Upper-Middle Class
Daphne
Fairhope

Middle Class:
West Mobile
Saraland
Satsuma
Creola

Lower-Middle Class
Loxley
Foley
Theodore
Tillmans Corner
Semmes
Grand Bay
Irvington

Lower Class
Bayou La Batre
Chickasaw
Prichard
Citronelle
Mount Vernon

Old 09-30-2021, 01:04 PM

13,624 posts, read 7,936,616 times
I don't see how Spanish Fort can be considered in a higher-class than Fairhope just based on the eye test of driving through each community. Even Daphne I'd put higher than Spanish Fort, or at least equal.

Are you going off of income numbers?

Old 09-30-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I don't see how Spanish Fort can be considered in a higher-class than Fairhope just based on the eye test of driving through each community. Even Daphne I'd put higher than Spanish Fort, or at least equal.

Are you going off of income numbers?
For Upper and Upper-middle, year

Old 09-30-2021, 01:54 PM

Well regardless of income numbers, I'd definitely put Fairhope above Spanish Fort, especially based on the way you phrased your OP to rate by "class" rather than income.

I'm not real familiar with the feel of a lot of those smaller towns, but I'd basically group the ones I'm more familiar with like this:

TOP TIER
Fairhope
Daphne

UPPER MIDDLE
Spanish Fort
Saraland

LOWER MIDDLE
Loxley
Satsuma
Theodore
Chickasaw

BOTTOM
Prichard

Old 09-30-2021, 04:26 PM

261 posts, read 202,613 times
I’d probably go with

Upper:
Fairhope
Spanish Fort

Middle class:
Daphne
Saraland
West Mobile
Satsuma

Lower middle class:
Foley
Robertsdale
Tillman’s corner/Theodore
Chickasaw
Loxley
Semmes

Poor:
Prichard
Grand bay/Irvington

I’d say many of these cities are in a transitional stage. Foley and TC/Theodore are examples of formerly rural areas seeing heavy commercial and housing development that will bump them up going forward. Semmes wouldn’t be in a transitional phase because it doesn’t large commercial projects like foley has with OWA, or TC/Theodore have with all the stuff on rangeline and industrial jobs.

Depending on different factors over the next decade, I could see fairhope just being in a category by itself and potentially Daphne moving up to Spanish Fort’s level. It’ll take longer, but Saraland could move up to join SF and Daphne one day.

For downward trending cities, I’d say Chickasaw is on the verge of joining Prichard.

Old 09-30-2021, 07:39 PM

Surge and natedog, I'm curious as to why both of you put Spanish Fort above Daphne.

Old 09-30-2021, 11:37 PM

261 posts, read 202,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Surge and natedog, I'm curious as to why both of you put Spanish Fort above Daphne.
The median income is higher. 83k for Spanish fort and 71k for Daphne. Poverty rate in Spanish fort is 4.9% and it’s 12.7% for Daphne. I believe that Spanish Fort will keep up its rate of growth due to the massive amount of new developments along highway 31 north to Stapleton

Old 10-01-2021, 05:43 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
I've always said that Spanish Fort does not look like it's income . Fairhope definitely looks and feels more upper class.

Old 10-01-2021, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedoggbry View Post
The median income is higher. 83k for Spanish fort and 71k for Daphne. Poverty rate in Spanish fort is 4.9% and it’s 12.7% for Daphne. I believe that Spanish Fort will keep up its rate of growth due to the massive amount of new developments along highway 31 north to Stapleton
Median incomes and poverty percentages are not necessarily indicators of which class a person falls into though. That's why I mentioned the "eye test". Just think about driving through the neighborhoods of Fairhope, Daphne, and Spanish Fort without knowing anything about the numbers - Fairhope is a cut above; Daphne and Spanish Fort are at a similar level, but I just don't see anything that makes SF stand above Daphne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area