Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2023, 09:45 PM

358 posts, read 412,888 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

So me and my wife are moving to Mobile from DC. We are from Pakistan and have mostly lived in North East. Wife is a physician and she ended up getting a job at MCI. Havent lived in the South at all so had some questions:

1) We are finalizing Highlands at Springhill Apartments in Mobile because thats what a few physicians advised her. How is the general area around that place? Is it generally safe?

2) I liked baldwin county more but wife is a new driver so we decided on living not having a long commute over the bridge. Do you think thats a good decision? I loved Daphne and Spanish fort from the pictures I saw but sacrificed that decision so wife can have a shorter commute.

3) Is there a general threat of Hurricanes/Tornadoes in Mobile. Are there evacuations to other cities? How common is it?

Any tip to make our relocating easier would be welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2023, 07:28 AM

4,999 posts, read 9,143,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raheel12 View Post
Hey all,

So me and my wife are moving to Mobile from DC. We are from Pakistan and have mostly lived in North East. Wife is a physician and she ended up getting a job at MCI. Havent lived in the South at all so had some questions:

1) We are finalizing Highlands at Springhill Apartments in Mobile because thats what a few physicians advised her. How is the general area around that place? Is it generally safe?

2) I liked baldwin county more but wife is a new driver so we decided on living not having a long commute over the bridge. Do you think thats a good decision? I loved Daphne and Spanish fort from the pictures I saw but sacrificed that decision so wife can have a shorter commute.

3) Is there a general threat of Hurricanes/Tornadoes in Mobile. Are there evacuations to other cities? How common is it?

Any tip to make our relocating easier would be welcome. Thanks!
Springhill is very much generally safe.There are a lot of beautiful neighborhoods in the Springhill community. And if you loved Spanish Fort and Daphne from pictures then you will really love Springhill because neither one of them have a community that's like it.

As far as hurricanes Mobile hasn't had any direct issues with one sense Hurritican Sally that's been also 3 years and before then it was Katrina 2005, Ivan 2004,George in 98, Opal inn95 and etc. We get Tornadoes here in there but it's far more common in North Alabama. And living in both the north and the Gulf part of of the state. I would take a Hurricane over a Tornado lol. Tornadoes are far more common and unpredictable.

Old 05-14-2023, 07:55 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Hurricane season is generally from June to November so you only have to worry half the time.

Old 05-14-2023, 08:29 AM

24,475 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Google historic weather to answer your hurrican/tornado question.

Old 05-14-2023, 08:32 AM

857 posts, read 584,422 times
Area is pretty safe.

With the Mobile River Bridge and Bayway project starting construction this year/next year that will be the entire rebuilt of the Bayway, it’s probably best to stick with the Mobile side for now. Springhill is arguably one of the most beautiful places in the area. Don’t get me wrong the Eastern Shore is beautiful but very little of it can compare to beauty of Springhill

Destructive hurricane are few and far in between as the other guy mentioned. You will also get about a week’s worth of warning before a landfall happens. The most destructive part of a hurricane is storm surge and flooding, where you are… that can’t happen. Wind can be a an issue but is generally the least destructive part of a hurricane. Tornados down here are uncommon, very weak and short lived, so you shouldn’t have to worry about them

Old 05-15-2023, 07:57 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Welcome!

1) Yes, that is a safe area. It's right by the interstate so you are in the middle of all of the shopping areas.

2) I think you made a good decision. Mobile has just as much or more to offer than Baldwin County.

3) Yes, hurricanes are always a possibility during the warm months. It would be unlikely that you would need to evacuate, especially living as far from the water as you will be living. I wouldn't be concerned about tornadoes.

Old 05-15-2023, 08:46 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Welcome!

1) Yes, that is a safe area. It's right by the interstate so you are in the middle of all of the shopping areas.

2) I think you made a good decision. Mobile has just as much or more to offer than Baldwin County.

3) Yes, hurricanes are always a possibility during the warm months. It would be unlikely that you would need to evacuate, especially living as far from the water as you will be living. I wouldn't be concerned about tornadoes.

Make friends in Birmingham so you have some place to evacuate to. We have a couple who comes here every two-three years when one of those things churn ashore. And don't evacuate up I-65. US-43 is a much better way to go.

Old 05-16-2023, 07:00 AM

358 posts, read 412,888 times
Thankyou everyone. Springhill looks like a good choice.

Old 05-16-2023, 07:20 AM

2 posts, read 4,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raheel12 View Post
Thankyou everyone. Springhill looks like a good choice.
It's generally considered to be a safe and quiet neighborhood, with a good mix of families, professionals, and retirees. The apartment complex itself is well-maintained and has great amenities.

Old 06-09-2023, 06:21 AM

2,576 posts, read 1,747,929 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ela4VCqZyb0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area