Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 08:43 PM

299 posts, read 938,619 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any plans (if any) there are for the recently cleared projects across from the GM&O Building. Seems like the large piece of land could have good potential. I think it would be nice to put a large tourist attraction there such as a zoo or aquarium that would help out downtown. I would sure go! I just hope that they don't plan on rebuilding the projects, that would be aweful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 01:13 AM

From the city plan it looks like they will rebuild the projects. Is that right?

Old 05-02-2009, 02:17 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,164,340 times
Yeah, do you remeber Dow`s "String of Pearls" which included : RSA Battlehouse Tower,Mobile Covention Ceneter,Govermant Plaza,Cruise terminal,and The rstoration of the old Battlehouse hotel ? This took 15 years to complete and former Mayor Mike Dow promised and he deliverd.

Well Mayor Same Jones came up with "String of Pearls II" which will include : 2 more skyscrapers, the restoration of Royal street(in progress now), Bring back Broad street(in progress now with the building of medians on Broad and a water fountain on the corner of Borad and Springhill I believe which is also in prgress,and street trollys that will travle from Broad to Arlington Park),Entertainment complex like an Atlantic Station (the large piece of land that your talking about), Riverwalk,boat slips downatown,Maritime or Gulf Quest Museum(in progress), quility retail downtown. Also if I can remember right I think there were plans to demolish the civic centre and turn that property into an open air mall. Same Jones said it will be 12 -15 years for his pearls to be connectd but with the economy the way it is now it could be longer.

He has compled or started on a few such as: Bring Back Broad Street,restoration of Royal street,Maritime/Gulf Quest Museum and a few others.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:01 PM

So, that large piece of property will be the Entertainment Complex instead of more government housing? I thought that they were converting the Civic Center parking lot into housing and retail, but not doing anything with the actual center. Where will the 2 new towers be? And I'm assuming the Riverwalk would be in Cooper Riverside Park, correct? I apologize for all the questions.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:35 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,164,340 times
LoL, Your good on the questions my friend. Yes the river walk will be along the Cooper Riverside. The two new towers will be built on the western in of downtown because that part of downtown is lacking infill, and I think you are correct about the Civic Centre. That piece of land that held Orange Grove is the only area of which they will be builing the Hope VI project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area