Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2011, 04:05 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,007,338 times

Advertisements

I think it took almost 15 years before they bore nuts. They started as just bare-root twigs, though.
The secret for them here in Montana, I think, is irrigate, irrigate, irrigate.

The nuts are actually smaller than the ones you buy in the store. They don't have as much flavor, but I've only tasted them raw, haven't tried roasting to see if it makes them more flavorful. I generally just grew them to see if I could, even though hazelnuts are one of my faves. My yard is a wildlife habitat... I let the animals have most of the nuts, berries and fruit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 06:59 PM

8,094 posts, read 15,190,548 times
Hazelberts sound good. (Yeah, you have to roast some nuts to get full flavour.) What's the advantage of the cross over the originals? Are any of the nuts (seeds) fertile -- ever try planting one?

Old 10-25-2011, 07:03 PM

I've never tried planting one of the nuts, as my yard is pretty much doesn't have any space for another one. I think a cutting would probably start better. I think the cross is to make it hardier for the colder climate.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:08 PM

This is the nursery where I ordered them from, about 22 years ago. I think I probably have the only hazelberts in Bozeman!

St. Lawrence Nurseries

Old 10-25-2011, 07:25 PM

225 posts, read 304,978 times
WOW! Sounds like you guys have been busy while I was away. Lovely artwork too. I draw and paint also but nothing like that. Cant do people or animals.. just do landscapes. I hate oil and rather use acrylic. Haven't really painted much in years... things kinda got in the way. Am afraid I may have lost my stroke too.
I love zucchini but now after hearing the horror story of the zucchini wars.. I am afraid to try to ever grow it again. LOL
As for me.. haven't been doing much. My sinuses have been giving me fits.. making me have severe headaches to the point I almost cant function.
I got a call about a job yesterday (private sitting) and the woman asked me if I was interested.. I told told her YEAH!.. She's supposed to call me back after she gets in contact with the client. FINGERS CROSSED!!!
Added a photo on here that I am sure ya'll will get a kick out of.
Why use a blanket when you have a fur coat to keep you warm.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:45 PM

When I think of my hazelnut shrubs, I think of an Irish song that Altan recorded. It is called An Cailín Gaelach, about a young Irish man who meets a girl gathering hazelnuts in her mantle. He speaks to her, but she replies only to him in English, "Pray, sir, and let me be". He realizes she isn't Irish and doesn't speak it, and yet he longs to have an Irish girl by his side, and how he would herd his farm flocks on the hillsides and be so happy if he had an Cailín Gaelach (an Irish girl).

Here is the song... it is all in Irish except for the English line the girl speaks. When Irish songs are Irish and English words mixed together, the are called "macaronic", like a noodle casserole (no kidding).
Here's a live performance:

Altan - An Cailín Gaelach | Video Youtube - NMETV Latest Music Videos and Clips | - NME.COM (http://www.nme.com/nme-video/youtube/id/ZcWXEKCgnk8/search/cailin-gaelach - broken link)
[SIZE=+1]
[/SIZE]

Old 10-25-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness is View Post
This is the nursery where I ordered them from, about 22 years ago. I think I probably have the only hazelberts in Bozeman!

St. Lawrence Nurseries
Oooh, what a fun catalog. The old varieties are interesting, given that store-bought fruit often just doesn't have much flavour any more!

I saved some seeds from my apricot tree... it's exceedingly drought-hardy, tho it thinks it should fruit in May and has lost the whole crop to late freezes the past two years. Before that it produced like a weed. Goats "pruned" the volunteers that had come up, before they got to blooming age, so no idea what they'd have done (tho at least one of 'em is surviving on no known water).

Old 10-25-2011, 08:31 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,111,858 times
This is a picture I took a couple weeks ago. When I saw them, I thought the rancher had put them there for Halloween, but then one of the ones on the ground moved. So I stopped.

This is definately something you WOULD NOT want to see if you were broke down on the county road. In case you can't quite tell, they are Vultures.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:00 PM

225 posts, read 304,978 times
WOW EH... awesome photo!
Darn sure wouldnt wanna be stranded there. LOL
Nice pic just in time for Halloween though.
Sure there weren't any skeletons lying around??????

Old 10-25-2011, 09:20 PM

Hahaha!! Oooh, that's perfect... and now I think I'll just get back in the truck and mosey along, before them vultures decide to take a peck at me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana