Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2015, 12:00 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
That's good to hear!

We have a Boy Scout District camporee this weekend at Hellgate. My son and I are in the OA (Order of the Arrow) and we are responsible for running the events. My role? Cooking for 20 teens and adults.

So tomorrow I am making a BIG 10lb BBQ meatloaf in a 9qt dutch oven and a huge apple strudel in another dutch oven for desert.

That's meatloaf has 8lbs of ground, one package of chopped bacon, 3 medium yellow onions and 3 green peppers (diced) one whole garlic (minced), 4 cups of oatmeal, 4 eggs and a bit of various seasonings. It's going to be a monster, lol. The strudel is going to have from scratch pie pastry bottom filled with 4 lbs of fresh sliced apples mixed with sugar, cinnamon, touch of salt then a mix of condensed milk, egg and sugar on top. Then she's latticed with fresh pastry and put on the coals for 45minutes.

I'm going to be a busy beaver all weekend.

And of course- it's going to rain like He*l all weekend too. Of course- it wouldn't be an official mass gathering of Boy Scouts without rain and mud, lol.
Sounds like fun!!

I'm getting sent to Savannah, Georgia for work for a week

Rather be home fishing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 04:03 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
That's good to hear!

We have a Boy Scout District camporee this weekend at Hellgate. My son and I are in the OA (Order of the Arrow) and we are responsible for running the events. My role? Cooking for 20 teens and adults.

So tomorrow I am making a BIG 10lb BBQ meatloaf in a 9qt dutch oven and a huge apple strudel in another dutch oven for desert.

That's meatloaf has 8lbs of ground, one package of chopped bacon, 3 medium yellow onions and 3 green peppers (diced) one whole garlic (minced), 4 cups of oatmeal, 4 eggs and a bit of various seasonings. It's going to be a monster, lol. The strudel is going to have from scratch pie pastry bottom filled with 4 lbs of fresh sliced apples mixed with sugar, cinnamon, touch of salt then a mix of condensed milk, egg and sugar on top. Then she's latticed with fresh pastry and put on the coals for 45minutes.

I'm going to be a busy beaver all weekend.

And of course- it's going to rain like He*l all weekend too. Of course- it wouldn't be an official mass gathering of Boy Scouts without rain and mud, lol.
I can sympathize, been there,done that a few times!
Hey, if you want to make it an Italian meatloaf mix in some parm cheese then put in half of the meat, place a a few hard boiled eggs in a circle, layer with thin sliced pancetta and then a layer of Mozzarella or Provolone then put the other half of meat on top.

The above is an old world Italian Meatloaf recipe given to me by my Italian neighbor given to him by his grandmother. The only thing I didn't include was the meat mixture which is equal amounts of ground beef,ground veal and ground sausage.
YUMMMMMMM!

Old 05-15-2015, 07:37 PM

8,088 posts, read 15,162,403 times
So, your Boy Scouts got their canoe patches yet? Better start workin' on 'em, from the looks of what's comin' down...

Old 05-16-2015, 08:34 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Sounds like fun!!

Rather be home fishing
I'm jealous! You get great SEAFOOD not to mention eateries like Lady and Sons...

Old 05-16-2015, 12:00 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Thanks everybody, I'm doing pretty good, considering.

I actually like PT. Not many people do. When I go to PT, it hurts, its going to hurt so accept it and use it to your advantage. I have 1 full hour, every day. Plus I have 1 full hour of Occupational Therapy, 3 days per week. That is where they have a mock home, so they teach/train you how to get in and out of the bath tub, etc...

In PT I always try to exceed what they want. Like leg lifts. If they want 3 sets of 10, I'll push out 4 sets. I go down to PT, 15 minutes early so I can exercise on a stationary bike. It loosens up the knee and I have less pain during pt. When I had the staples taken out, the VA brought the bus around and lowered the wheel chair platform. I walked out, no wheelchair, just my Cain.. I walked in to my surgeons office and his chin hit the floor. He said, "the majority of my patients come to this appointment still in a wheel chair, the remainder are pushing a walker."

Old 05-16-2015, 03:47 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Quote:

Rather be home fishing

If you get a chance, drive around the various neighborhoods that are on all sides of the city..............I'll be real interested in your thoughts and opinions regarding what it would be like to live there!!

A couple of winters after I lost my wife, I deceided to get out of Montana for "some southern winter weather" for about 4 months, (and also sample some of that Quail hunting in GA and north Florida). So I loaded up the two Brittanys in the SUV and headed south/east.

Established a "home-base" just outside of Brunswick, GA and did some extensive exploring (and hunting) from Savannah all the way down to the Jacksonville, FL area.

A brief summary of my 4 months in that area follows:

PROS: Great food (particularily Shrimp dishes, various forms of BBQ, wonderful deserts) and very reasonable prices in 80% of all the restaurants I ate in.
...........Very friendly local folks, (particularly in the smaller towns--(populations from 600 to 4000).
...........Some VERY interesting historical points of interest along the coast, and the entire area in
general has a great deal of "local history" that you won't find in most "History Books".
...........After "making-the-right-local-contacts", I was able to experience some pretty decent Quail hunting.
...........Spent quite a bit of time in the area called "The Golden Isles". This is a group of Islands off the
coast of Brunswick, GA, (St. Simons; Jekyll; Sea Island and Little St. Simons, which is privately
............owned.) The first three cater to tourists to a great extent.

CONS:.. The most difficult "aspect" of this area for me to accept and tolerate Was the constant
.............High Humidity!!!
.....I obviously knew it was going to be bad,....I just didn't know
.............how opressive it actually would be.
...............Another aspect of "coastal-living" is the great number and variety of "Insects and Bugs"
................that are sharing "your-space" !!

Last observation: A Great place to visit........but not a place I'd choose to live.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:15 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Well, I finally made it, 14 hours of travel, (had to go through laguardia rolleyes First impressions, love the green!!!
The people so far,,, Great!

Driving in from the airport, Love the smells of things cooking all over

We're planning on taking one of the tour trains in the morning to get a good look around.

So far, It's hot and humid, but not as bad as some places Ive been. Will update.

Elk, keep up the good work and let us know what's happening!

Now, I'm going to see if I can find out where that scent of grilled beef is coming from!!!

Old 05-16-2015, 10:37 PM

19,767 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
So, your Boy Scouts got their canoe patches yet? Better start workin' on 'em, from the looks of what's comin' down...
Oh yeah- lots of rain and wind today! In case folks are wondering what a 10lb meatloaf looks like-

Turned out perfect. 3.5 hrs with coals at full tilt top and bottom. Great recipe! Meat, oatmeal, eggs, diced tomoatos and green chilies, 4 yellow onions, 4 green bell peppers, one entire garlic minced, mushrooms and about a 1/3 cup Montreal seasoning and thyme.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:07 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
Quote:
...>>SNIP<<...We're planning on taking one of the tour trains in the morning to get a good look around.

That Tour Train probably is a very good idea...............I'm sure I missed a lot of the 'old & historic" mansions that are located throughout the immediate-city center area.

It's great that "She-Bear" will have a chance to "do-her-shoping" with out the "Silver-Tip" hanging around
Hope your lodging is convienent walking distance to many of the attractions.

Hope you guys have a great trip..............even though the "silver-Tip" will be working while there.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post

That Tour Train probably is a very good idea...............I'm sure I missed a lot of the 'old & historic" mansions that are located throughout the immediate-city center area.

It's great that "She-Bear" will have a chance to "do-her-shoping" with out the "Silver-Tip" hanging around
Hope your lodging is convienent walking distance to many of the attractions.

Hope you guys have a great trip..............even though the "silver-Tip" will be working while there.

EDITED late Sunday night:

There is one restaurant that finally came to me (out of the depths of my foggy mind), that was outstanding for their Baby Back BBQ Ribs;............

It is take out only.............BUT THE BEST EVER BBQ RIBS. AND very reasonable

Randy's BBQ.....750 Wheaton Street....Savannah.----(The neighborhood is not the greatest, but the ribs are THE BEST IN THE CITY!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana