Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 11:33 AM

3,464 posts, read 1,897,669 times

Advertisements

montana...

very beautiful....

i've always wanted to go there...

just stopping by...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 04:58 PM

451 posts, read 999,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkloster View Post
Thanks for confirming the climate for me, mg. In my research, several have suggested Kalispell, Missoula, and Bozeman.
You are entirely welcome.

Those are three of my favorite cities. (Not that I like cities, you understand.)

Old 11-02-2010, 08:51 AM

451 posts, read 999,582 times
mkloster:

I forgot to mention, waaaaaaaaay less wind over here west of the divide than what you are accustomed to in your current State. At least, that's what folks who've migrated from there tell us.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:56 AM

22 posts, read 79,347 times
Less wind? I like the sound of that!

Old 11-14-2010, 03:31 AM

11 posts, read 26,492 times
@sky- I have just found that Billings looses its appeal very quickly. In summer the town is hot and doesnt have the greatest smell. For myself personally, I moved to Montana for the mountain experience and did not want to return to "city life." Beyond this, I have found Billings to be somewhat lacking in an real city connections such as, cafe's, art, museums, etc.. While Billings does have these things. Their just not the type you would find in a larger city. They all seem to lack any real cultural appeal and flavor. I have found Bozeman and Missoula to be much more entertaining personally. I want a city that not only provides the city life, but can do it in a fashion that enhances my life. Billings does not and has nothing for me. Personally, Billings lacks any culture that you find in other Montana cities. Now this is just my opinion and experience. Again. For me, Billings doesnt have the "flavor" that I enjoy in a city. I would take Missoula and Bozeman over Billings any day. Hope this answers your question?

Old 11-14-2010, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,274 times
I live in the flathead valley and it's the best if you ask me. Columbia falls, whitefish, kalispell, bigfork, ect..

Old 11-14-2010, 02:18 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubileephotography View Post
I live in the flathead valley and it's the best if you ask me. Columbia falls, whitefish, kalispell, bigfork, ect..
What kind of jobs are available there?

Old 11-14-2010, 03:27 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,070,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
What kind of jobs are available there?
Burger flipping, cashiering, stocking At Walmart or other retail places and then there is the remains of the logging and mining industries.
Columbia falls is mulling the acquisition of the aluminum smelter to convert into an industrial complex but it is still in the air I think.
I worked at a snowboard factory just south of Kalispell for a while until I got fed up and quit. (a freaking slave camp it was).
The nice building was a boaters supply place after that and then it went under.
The facility was vacant for quite a while until Ashley Martin moved in and now they employ dozens of folks making nutritional supplements and seem to be doing well.
The Flathead Valley is a better place to start a business than it is to go to try to find a job, unless you just want to be a clock puncher and barely survive.
There is a bit of a shortage of competent medical professionals. Way too many glorified butt wipers playing doctor here.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:56 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,381,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkloster View Post
Billings is out for me, as it is too hot in the summer. The historical data shows a 6 degree difference in average high's in August (88 vs. 82), which is pretty significant.

Thanks for the warning...I have been to Montana several times vacationing, so I fully understand that "distance" is an entirely different thing there.
If you are that sensitive to heat in the Summer, it may be better to select your location by ALTITUDE rather than geography. I would suggest looking for places above 3000 to 3500 feet above sea level and not restrict yourself to Montana. Make a list of high altitude places and check out Montana, Colorado, Wyoming, etc.

Also, it may be helpful to state what part of Nebraska you are living in now, and what you specifically like or dislike, besides hating hot humid weather.
For example, if you are in Lincoln, NE and like it except for the heat, you might like Missoula or Bozeman. If you live in a small town like Friend, NE, you would like Ronan better than Montana "cities". Good luck.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:19 AM

22 posts, read 79,347 times
Yes, I agree with your altitude suggestion. If not at a higher altitude, I at least need quick access to higher altitudes to escape occasional heat.

I live in Omaha, currently, and pretty much mainly only dislike the heat.

I did not select "only" Montana, but narrowed it down to probably Bozeman based upon a combination of lower average summer-time high's (and lows), humidity (lack of), # of sunny days in the summer (the lower the better), cost of living, professional job market, outdoor recreation, etc. I've been at this researching stage for far too long!!

Thanks for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana