Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 04:03 PM

225 posts, read 304,319 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone
It has been almost a year since I was last here. To be honest I had completely forgotten about it until I received an email saying my posts were being read.
I have an update!! On September 23rd I will be flying from Amsterdam, Netherlands going to Seattle then Kalispell. From Kalispell my mom will pick me up from the airport and we will drive to Libby.
YES!! I am FINALLY coming back to USA. I'm coming home!!
I am also bringing my 18 month old German Shepherd/Malinois mix. I couldnt leave my baby behind! I hope he will love Montana.
I am so excited as well. Montana here I come!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 08:35 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,124,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaBonnema View Post
Hello Everyone
It has been almost a year since I was last here. To be honest I had completely forgotten about it until I received an email saying my posts were being read.
I have an update!! On September 23rd I will be flying from Amsterdam, Netherlands going to Seattle then Kalispell. From Kalispell my mom will pick me up from the airport and we will drive to Libby.
YES!! I am FINALLY coming back to USA. I'm coming home!!
I am also bringing my 18 month old German Shepherd/Malinois mix. I couldnt leave my baby behind! I hope he will love Montana.
I am so excited as well. Montana here I come!!!!!!!
............Good to hear that you'll be coming back to "good 'ole Montana".

I'm sure that your mom is thrilled to have you back here.

As a "dog lover", I'm pleased that you are bringing your dog back with you. I've had probably 15 dogs over these many years (in my 80th) and I really don't think I could get along without one.

........(NOTE I've had two experiences with having a dog transported via a commercial Air Line.....both did not have any negative effects on the dog. However, I do know of some situations where that was not the case..............................Please investigate thoroughly the procedure(s) that will be followed when you change planes.

ALSO make sure you have him "MICROCHIPPED" before you leave ....AND a "Tag" on his collar that has ALL the info necessary to get in touch with you or your mom if---God forbid-- he should get out of his crate and run-away when changing planes etc.

Also, if he is not "Crate-Trained" yet.....GET HIM USED TO A TRAVEL CRATE NOW!!!!!!DO IT NOW!!....Also make sure you put his favorite blanket and toy in the Travel Crate with him!!!Start him sleeping in the crate NOW!!

Also, somehow "tape" (attach) a Leash to the Crate so that "air Line personnel can take him for a walk (exercise)" when he is being transferred at the different Air Line Terminals (changing planes).

And don't hesitate to "type out any instructions and or any other data" , have it "laminated' and tape it to the Travel Crate----make sure the door on the crate closes (latches) securely.

And make sure the "tag" on his collar "can't get caught in the door". I use the type of tags that are riveted to the collar.

Good luck on your "trip home"!

P.S. Don't feed him within 5 hours of departure. He can go 5 times longer without food than he can go without water!!!! Ability to have someone get him a drink is far more important than food.

And again.....get him used to being in the Travel Crate NOW. (with his blanket & toy)

Old 09-18-2011, 07:51 AM

Thanks Griz for the helpful info.
He is crate trained. I did that when he was a puppy. I have been making him sleep/stay in the crate for long periods since last week. He does great. He sometimes whines a bit but not too much.
He is MICROCHIPPED. But, I dont have tags. Great Idea about taping a leash to kennel. Didn't think of that!
Also, I plan on feeding him Thursday afternoon and no more until I get to Libby, Montana. Vet said he can go without eating that long without it bothering him too much and it will give time for all that went in.. to "exit" before he is crated for the flight.
I will freeze a bowl of water and then put it in his kennel when i get to airport. I am also giving him a little Valerian herb to help make it easier for him.
He is a very hyper dog and is extremely aggressive towards other dogs. Not too much towards people but you never know what will happen when an animal is under stress.
As soon as I get to Libby and get a job.. Bruno is getting "fixed" .... that should help a lot. By the way.. my profile pic (if I did it right) is of Bruno.
I have a VariKennel for him and I put it together with bolts and wing nuts. the door does close securely. I know they allow a blanket but I thought I read somewhere that it said NO toys. I'll double check at the airport. If so.. I'll be sure to give him his squeaky toy so he can annoy the baggage handlers..LOL

Old 09-18-2011, 08:48 AM

451 posts, read 999,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaBonnema View Post
By the way.. my profile pic (if I did it right) is of Bruno.
You did it right... nice puppy!

Welcome back to Montana.

mg

Old 09-20-2011, 01:10 AM

Thank you Monty. Sorry I was slow to reply.
I have seen so many beautiful photographs of Montana that I know I will just love it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana