Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 08:18 AM

8,090 posts, read 15,165,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I worked in our State Penitentiary for several years. I used the term "boy howdy" in a conversation with one of the Black inmates and he filed a grievance LOL. I have never heard the term used as an insult. I wonder where it is in common usage. Anyone?
I'd never seen or heard it before. It sure doesn't sound like an insult to me (I think we know why THAT fellow was in the pen, hypersensitive much?!) just a variant of "Well hello, will you look at that!" or something like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 09:45 AM

247 posts, read 576,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
It's quiet and slower paced than anywhere else I've lived. I don't watch the news or read the newspaper (well... I do read the one published here in town to keep up with what's going on around town). I enjoy living in my little bubble with my kids and family. Our biggest social happenings revolve around the school (dances, rummage sales, sporting events, etc...). I go for two or three weeks at a time between trips to the "big city" (about an hours drive away). You probably don't hear alot about Montana because, truthfully, not alot happens here. Not like Southern California or Seattle, where there is always something happening that ends up on the national news. We like it that way. Big news to us is who won the state baskeball tournaments or how big of an elk you got last hunting season. Of course, I do live in a small town. The bigger cities in Montana may have more going on... but it rarely makes the national news because there simply aren't as many people here. You really have to be ready for a slower paced life (or have grown up here and not know the difference...lol).
How do you figure the slow pace? everyone here drives 90 mph to get to where they have to go! everyones in a big hurry. the average person has to work two jobs, to afford a place to live.. slow pace is south georgia, where people get together on sundays! and where there is no hurry to get to town, where they drink sweet tea and relax on the porch!! in montana everybody is so uptite, there are so many covenants on land the average person cant afford to build a house, The subdivisions around where i live are so full of covenants you have to be wealthy,and dont want anything but a house and it has to be over 1500 square foot or you cant build on it, and when you buy the property you have to build within a year, or be penalized.. A good friend of mine Moved here from new mexico, he bought 20 acres of land, for 59,000 dollars 20 miles from town, No electricity or water and you cant get either out there, well you can, if you can afford it,66000 for electricity and the people in the subdivision haul water and store it in cisterns there is no ground water.... he had one year to build a home, he had to get an extention on the year, he did. the home owners association gave him the extention for 500 dollars.. but then the tax people said he would still have to pay taxes on the property as if it had a new construction home on it, they came out and assessed the property and he told them he was planning to build a 300 square foot home on it, doing all the work him self.. the assesed his taxes at 512 monthly, he is Moving back to new mexico..

Old 12-09-2010, 09:56 AM

4 posts, read 7,835 times
I would have to say most Montana folks are great! Have lived here since 2008. We've had such great experiences - moving here from another State, we were still welcomed with open arms. Rented a place outside of Bozeman while our house was being built. The neighbors were fantastic! Bozeman has alot to offer as far as Montana cities go - a college, the usual box stores like Costco, Home Depot, WalMart, etc., but it has the smaller unique shops as well - a great hospital, and lots of community activites. You are close to Yellowstone National Park, and so many rivers, lakes, and streams to hike, fish, horseback ride, ATV, etc.. The scenery is diverse throughout the State too. I would highly recommend it!

Old 12-09-2010, 09:56 AM

247 posts, read 576,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Well, I for one move from a smaller town in WV to a larger town in MT. Quite frankly I'm not used to all this hububaloo.
I live in Montana, Im a miner and an otr trucker, i found West virginia to be an awesome state and would easily compare its beauty to Montana anytime! and the small towns there were very nice in my opinion..

Old 12-09-2010, 03:17 PM

649 posts, read 1,769,329 times
i think if you like montana it depends on your personality type. i've lived there twice and love the landscape and the people have great manners and are friendly, but don't expect to become best friends overnight. but the main thing to consider living in montana is as i said your personality type; because the weather keeps you indoors for months unless you are into winter sports. for me i can't stay indoors year round and i don't do winter sports, so living in cold icy snowy weather gives me cabin fevor in just a few weeks. consider that it's not easy/safe to just get into your car and take a day trip down the road to get out of town to vist something different when it's icy snowy sub freezing weather. oh you CAN do it but SHOULD you do it? and if you are getting old walking around on icy ground is risking broken bones etc. so i left snow country and am biting the bullet and moving to sun country because i want to be able to walk my dog year round and take a road trip with ease year round. i can't stay at home week after week like lots of people; so check yourself and know how you want to live not just were you want to live. snow country is pretty but requires a certain lifestyle and a certain personality to be satisfied.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:34 PM

19,781 posts, read 22,680,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil tatro View Post
I live in Montana, Im a miner and an otr trucker, i found West virginia to be an awesome state and would easily compare its beauty to Montana anytime! and the small towns there were very nice in my opinion..
Yup- there are only a few places I would want to live, and I can honestly say I'm experiencing them all.

One thing I do miss? Ramps and buckwheat cakes.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:53 PM

84 posts, read 169,463 times
I've been in Montana all my life. I appreciate it on many levels, but im ready to get the hell outa here for awhile.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:06 AM

451 posts, read 999,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezetron View Post
I've been in Montana all my life. I appreciate it on many levels, but im ready to get the hell outa here for awhile.
This is often a good course of action for younger adults no matter where they start out.

They learn to appreciate a place/circumstance of their own preference/choosing ~OR~ to appreciate that which they left behind. So long as no bridges are being burnt in their wake, it is often a "win-win" situation for all involved.

Go for it Freezetron! And good luck!

mg

Old 12-11-2010, 09:19 AM

Totally agree, mg. It broadens your horizons, brings you new knowledge, and gives you a fresh perspective on whatever is behind you (good or bad). Rungspringa is a wise concept.

Here's an interesting article on that note, which I think applies equally to youth in any culture (all communities being to some degree conformist): Questions Regarding the Amish
It also applies to simply learning about other people and places.

The military is a good vehicle for a lot of young people, as you get to learn teamwork and see some of the world at taxpayer expense (albeit sometimes a bit more up-close and personal than you had in mind, should you get shipped to some overseas conflict!) generally far beyond the means of the average student or new graduate. And I think it helps generate more of a sense of national cohesion, which is something that's being lost.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
One thing I do miss? Ramps and buckwheat cakes.
What are ramps?

Winco has buckwheat flour, and I'm sure you can find it other places too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana