Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 12,290 times

Advertisements

It seems that the rest of the US never hears anything about Montana. Is it just all small town people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 01:13 PM

836 posts, read 1,492,256 times
Well, it's been snowing in Missoula for most of the last 24 hours. Aside from that I find that it's pretty much like anywhere else. What we lack in population we make up for in personality.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:40 PM

451 posts, read 998,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast237 View Post
It seems that the rest of the US never hears anything about Montana. Is it just all small town people?
I'm thinkin' the res of the US is too busy watchin' TV while Montanans are too busy enjoying the outdoors to tell anybody about it on TV.

Oddly, though, I find myself somewhat attracted to this smaller, glowing screen where folks do communicate after a fashion....

Living in Montana is like living in Heaven, to answer your opening question. If you like this type of living, that is.

mg

Old 11-28-2010, 04:04 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
We are too busy waiting for the cattle to cross the highway

Old 11-28-2010, 04:51 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,096 times
It's quiet and slower paced than anywhere else I've lived. I don't watch the news or read the newspaper (well... I do read the one published here in town to keep up with what's going on around town). I enjoy living in my little bubble with my kids and family. Our biggest social happenings revolve around the school (dances, rummage sales, sporting events, etc...). I go for two or three weeks at a time between trips to the "big city" (about an hours drive away). You probably don't hear alot about Montana because, truthfully, not alot happens here. Not like Southern California or Seattle, where there is always something happening that ends up on the national news. We like it that way. Big news to us is who won the state baskeball tournaments or how big of an elk you got last hunting season. Of course, I do live in a small town. The bigger cities in Montana may have more going on... but it rarely makes the national news because there simply aren't as many people here. You really have to be ready for a slower paced life (or have grown up here and not know the difference...lol).

Old 11-28-2010, 05:13 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
EastCoast237, depending where in Montana one is located, the nearest kosher pastrami sandwich is about a, give or take, 5 hour drive across an international border in Calgary, Alberta, CA.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:57 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
Default Lots of Mayberrys.

Montana doesn't really have many larger cities and many small towns call themselves cities.
We live two miles outside a very small town in western Montana but we also have a place in north central Montana.
Pics below are Conrad's Whoop Up Days parade and the other one are the turkeys that mingle within ten feet of the deer that seem to be in or near our backyard all the time.
It was fun to watch the turkeys trudge through the snow up to their bellies this morning.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9a8nDInPVGE/TOLr0L4qtwI/AAAAAAAAHY4/Qg26QaZwpVE/s512/IMG_0313.JPG (broken link)
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_9a8nDInPVGE/TOxc03kng5I/AAAAAAAAHuM/qvUh5Tl1wjc/IMG_1986-2.JPG (broken link)

Old 11-28-2010, 11:16 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Well, I for one move from a smaller town in WV to a larger town in MT. Quite frankly I'm not used to all this hububaloo.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:25 AM

475 posts, read 1,498,033 times
I think it is the people who make the difference, they seem to be kinder and more willing to help one another. My daughter moved to Bozeman, MT last January, she loves it and the people. When I helped her move there in January. Before I left for home her computer died, it was old, a hand me down from her brother which had gotten her through 4 years of college. So... we went shopping for a new one, 1st. stop was Staples only to find they had nothing in stock so we went on our way. By the time we got into the car, there was a young man about 5 feet from the car, waving to us, we lowered the window and he explained he was also looking for a new computer, suggested some other places we could look. He had gone out of his way to be helpful. I KNOW no one here in S. FL would ever do that. She flew home in September for a visit and said she knew when she got to Atlanta Airport that she wasn't in MT any longer, just by the way people treated each other. People were downright rude.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:43 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
Thumbs up The folks. ~♥~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedsmit View Post
I think it is the people who make the difference, they seem to be kinder and more willing to help one another.
Boy howdy is that ever right and my story below is the proof.
My rig is unreliable because it needs another alternator and won't go far on the new battery that the new bad alternators (2) ruined.
My wife's car had nearly bald tires and were going to get us in trouble unless we replaced them right away but we are broke for the next few days.

The tire place in our town doesn't know us from Adam and they are putting new tires on her car right now as I am writing this.
We get to pay half in a few days and they will wait until Jan 1st for the other half. Where else ?

We will make it worth their while when we can. Another business just did us a big favor too and they don't know us from Adam either. Nicest folks in the world are in these small towns.
They pay it forward and have been that way since way before that movie came out. ~♥~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana