Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 11:13 AM

276 posts, read 793,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Tho the Swiss have gone a little mad in recent years... they've given apes the same rights as humans, and now they've produced a bill of rights for plants, I kid you not:
Plant rights - RationalWiki

I have one of those free NRA memberships they offered a couple years ago (specifically in response to the anti-hunting and therefore anti-gun stance of the largest animal rights groups), because even tho I think they're misplacing their current lobbying efforts (it's NOT just about hunting, folks!) and need to be slapped back to the straight and narrow of the 2nd Amendment, it's useful to have at least one outfit that can show a LOT of NUMBERS, and numbers is all congresscritters really care about -- ie. how many voters will they tick off if they push another Anti-Gun Bill??

Gun Owners of America is very hardcore on the Constitution in general and the 2nd Amendment in particular. It gives the impression of being more of an amateur operation than the NRA, more like the JPFO, which I take to mean it's run by members for members rather than by people with marketing degrees, which I think is some of the NRA's problem today -- marketing is partly about compromise. GOA has a newsletter which comes irregularly, generally when there's something to steam about.

JPFO probably Gets It better than most other groups, that the 2nd Amendment was wholly about having a populace that at need is able to take up arms against its own repressive government, NOT about any of the side issues like personal defense or hunting. Of course, as a group Jews probably have the broadest historical experience with being the butt of repression, so the issue becomes a bit more personal.

I do think Montana is very lucky to have someone like Gary Marbut who is willing and able to stand up for the 2nd Amendment. If I had money to give I'd put my support there first and foremost.
Yes, the Swiss have indeed become quite strange in recent years. Historically, they (the Swiss) have been in the vanguard regarding the gun issue and self defense. Thanks for the clarification regarding the Gun Owners of America. I have also heard differing opinions regarding this group. I just wish that people would learn the lessons of history regarding the Second Amendment. Indeed, the founding fathers were all keenly aware of the ramifications of a populace at the mercy of governmental institutions out of check. After all, our system is an "aberration" (in a positive sense) when one examines the history of most governmental institutions of the past.

After all, good old George Washington was quite clear when he posited:

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana