Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 04:28 PM

2 posts, read 12,985 times

Advertisements

Little background: My fiance and I are both pretty much native Nevadan's (Reno, not Vegas. BIG difference). We do love it here, but the economy has pretty much killed our "biggest little city". He has lived in the Kalispell/Whitefish area. I have never been to Montana. I have lived in NE Colorado. I know that most Montanan's (sp?) dont like outsiders. But we want to make Montana our home, and our future childrens home. We want to be Montanan's. and on that note, We seriously need advice. He is planning on attending school after he gets residency (aka: we have to live in Montana a year before he can go to school) He is majoring in GIS. We both want to eventually work for the Forest Service (I am not sure what I want to do yet.) We are planning on moving next summer to the Missoula area. after we get our basic wildland firefighting classes here in Nevada, and hopng to get on the fire crew for the summer, then...our options diminish. So, the question is is it possible to live in Missoula on what I am assuming will be part time "mall/retail" jobs? It is barley possible to GET a part time job in Reno currently, so I guess the question REALLY is is there jobs? How is the unemployment doing in your wonderful state? Cause we want a better life than what Nevada will ever be able to give us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 10:06 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,124,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravenewgirl85 View Post
Little background: My fiance and I are both pretty much native Nevadan's (Reno, not Vegas. BIG difference). We do love it here, but the economy has pretty much killed our "biggest little city". He has lived in the Kalispell/Whitefish area. I have never been to Montana. I have lived in NE Colorado. I know that most Montanan's (sp?) dont like outsiders. But we want to make Montana our home, and our future childrens home. We want to be Montanan's. and on that note, We seriously need advice. He is planning on attending school after he gets residency (aka: we have to live in Montana a year before he can go to school) He is majoring in GIS. We both want to eventually work for the Forest Service (I am not sure what I want to do yet.) We are planning on moving next summer to the Missoula area. after we get our basic wildland firefighting classes here in Nevada, and hopng to get on the fire crew for the summer, then...our options diminish. So, the question is is it possible to live in Missoula on what I am assuming will be part time "mall/retail" jobs? It is barley possible to GET a part time job in Reno currently, so I guess the question REALLY is is there jobs? How is the unemployment doing in your wonderful state? Cause we want a better life than what Nevada will ever be able to give us.
.......Just as a little reminder.....: Missoula (as you know) is a college town (U of M)....thus many of the jobs in the catagory you mention are filled by students. And, there are always more students looking for "part-time" employment than there are jobs available.. Housing (rentals) can also be a problem.....acceptable housing is somewhat difficult to find. I wish you luck.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:16 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,477,903 times
I would think a road trip would be your best bet, go take a look. Explore the Bitterroot valley on the way up.
Generally when I was working fire seasons I would run the Western Season then over the winter head east. Lots of prescribed burns and work for Fish and Wildlife crews then as Spring rolls around the midwest season opens then continue migrating back west.
One season I just laid back and collected unemployment, so there are possibilities out there.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:23 AM

448 posts, read 1,070,936 times
The cost of living is high and the wages are low, IF you can find employment

Old 12-26-2010, 05:58 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,170,698 times
Given your background, I think you would fit in just fine. You are young, idealistic, and don't like what you see around you and want something different. Good luck and welcome!

Old 12-30-2010, 12:08 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
After having lived in western Montana for a year I found the Missoula area to be one of the worst places I have ever lived. That part of the state is VERY unfriendly to outsiders. I came from another part of Montana and was only somewhat accepted because I was seen as a refugee from the Eastern Wasteland (their mentality of anything east of Butte). The cost of living is horrendous and you will be broke if you work a retail job. Keep in mind that Montana also ranks very low on the pay scale overall (49th place).

Old 12-30-2010, 12:20 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,392,572 times
"I know that most Montanan's (sp?) don't like outsiders."

How sad. Most of the people moving and especially retiring to MT are from other states. I can't imagine lots of Montanans not being accepting of outsiders?

Old 12-30-2010, 02:44 PM

451 posts, read 999,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
"I know that most Montanan's (sp?) don't like outsiders."

How sad. Most of the people moving and especially retiring to MT are from other states. I can't imagine lots of Montanans not being accepting of outsiders?
And you'd be correct, Ulysses61. Some folks seem to hop on these forums just to "nay say" everything about Montana. Sometimes they haven't even lived here, or if so, not for very long...

Consider the source?

Old 12-30-2010, 05:00 PM

54 posts, read 121,414 times
I've been reading the Montana forum for a while now, then decided I wanted to ask a question or two, so I registered, so I could.
From what I have seen, the fine people of Montana only want life to continue as it has been, they dont want anyone from someplace else coming in, trying to change the life they love so much. I tend to agree with this thinking....There is a reason you left where you were to be in the place you moved to...So why try to make it like the place you hated so much that you moved someplace else...

I happen to like the warped sense of humor of some on this forum, and think or would like to think the wife and myself will fit in just fine in Montana....

Old 12-30-2010, 08:37 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,392,572 times
I'm from California and spend some time in Montana every summer. The people there have almost always been friendly and polite. The service in restaurants is another element I enjoy in Montana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana