Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:12 PM

20 posts, read 58,825 times

Advertisements

Hi , I am in the mist of finding my way around this forum. I am thinking about moving to Montana and I would like to raise show pigeons on the property that I would find to buy.. Thinking of the Anaconda or Butt or Helena and what type of zoning should I be looking for and I would not mind having a seed store business as well but I have my pigeons and love them. Any suggestions would surely help..any at all. First time posting and I just thought I would ask and see what one might suggest. Flossey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 03:08 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,584,434 times
Welcome to the Montana Boards Flossey,

I am not really familier with the pigeon trade, I know my sister-in-law had some for a while, don't know if she still does or not.

I see a few of them at fairs from time to time but don't know how widespread the hobby is here, maybe somebody else knows.

As to a seed store, are you talking about pigeon feed, garden seeds or seeds for crops?

Depending on what you are selling, there are a quite a few nurserys that seem to do OK selling garden seeds, Heritage seeds may be something that would fill a niche market.
I can't tell you how much pigeon feed you could sell, but if you are thinking of crop seeds for wheat etc. you will have some competition.

Zoning varies from town to town, usually if you are outside city limits there aren't a lot of zoning concerns for somthing like pigeons.

Good Luck.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:45 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,124,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flossey View Post
Hi , I am in the mist of finding my way around this forum. I am thinking about moving to Montana and I would like to raise show pigeons on the property that I would find to buy.. Thinking of the Anaconda or Butt or Helena and what type of zoning should I be looking for and I would not mind having a seed store business as well but I have my pigeons and love them. Any suggestions would surely help..any at all. First time posting and I just thought I would ask and see what one might suggest. Flossey
...........Hey Flossey........

I don't know how familiar you are with Montana.......so I thought I'd take the liberty of giving you some information about predators in Montana and other possible sources of danger for your pigeons.

Depending on where you may end up raising these pigeons, be aware that we have Bald Eagles, Golden Eagles, several specie of Owls (including Great Horned and Great Gray Owls), Bob Cats and other such predators that under certain circumstances and conditions would "love" your pigeons in a much different manner than you do!!

In my years of living in Montana, I've seen a Bald Eagle come swooping down out of the sky and snatch up a house cat and carry it off. I've also seen a Great Gray Owl snatch a a Ruffed Grouse that was eating Aspen buds within 100 feet of our house. So be aware that these things can happen & take the proper precautions. (I do live several miles out of town and within a mile of a river and 300 yards from a major creek) and eagles hang out near rivers and streams.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:59 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,477,386 times
I think the Griz spoke well. I know in our neck of the woods south of Anaconda up along Clear Creek you will encounter some larger cats that live up in the rocky bluffs.
But if you are going to live year around you will be looking at a place down on the flats that is accessible year around.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:42 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,170,435 times
Know anything about passenger pigeons? I'd be interested in learning about them.

I've met a few falconers over the years, even knew a guy who used his to hunt. Pretty cool.

The predatory birds are real, but I see pigeons on the building next to where I work all the time.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:46 AM

Thanks everybody and you gave me some pretty good information. My pigeons are pets and I want to have a pigeon rescue where the pigeons would be in a secured loft and flypen. People have racing pigeons that can fly free for training and they are in danger of predators (owls, hawks, eagles and the like--birds of prey)...When you build a fly pen you secure it into the ground so that nothing can crawl under and hard ware cloth it and the inside loft is a building that can be secured. So my pigeons will not be flying free but I realize there are other predators out there and would have to have it near my house. Maybe electrical fence wiring or something???? Well anyway I would like to sell seed and a few bird supplies and cages for domestic birdies. I would try to make this a non profit for pigeon rescue...I am thinking of the Helena area and the zoning would have to be right and I am on the internet now looking for land. Any suggestions about this and where for I would like to be close to a few people and not be so secluded. Is that Helena airport for public transportation or just for mail..?? Thanks for the post everyone and I would appreciate any information that you can give me about zoning or business 1 restrictions or what ever....flossey

Old 02-19-2011, 11:03 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,633,668 times
Hate to be dismal but even with electrical fencing, secure ground enclosures, bears and lions will get through. Have had bears tear holes in the sides of garages/barns going after food sources. Unless you can make an enclosure that is similar to the bear proof containers (check mtfwp.com), you will have a problem.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:55 AM

Thanks Magoomafoo, I just checked the Montana Fish and wildlife Parks wildlife and there are a lot of critters and thats why I am on this forum to find out if there are places better than others for my purpose..Its a major point to consider but there must be a place with more of a population aspect where there would be less bears and cats and animals of that nature...Thanks for the posting....flossey

Old 02-19-2011, 01:21 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,633,668 times
Eastern Montana might work for you. Smaller predators...fox, skunk, badgers and coyotes. They typically cannot get into a very well built enclosure.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:35 PM

Thanks...flossey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana