Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 07:44 AM

8 posts, read 32,797 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Glendive in a month for a job with BNSF, and I have been having a hard time finding a place to rent... From the phone calls I have made, there is an oil boom in the area and rentals are far and few. I have been checking the towns paper online, but it hasn't led anywhere. The listings I find always have 3-4 other people who called before me asking about it. I am searching anywhere I can for leads.

If anyone has any information that would be helpful, I would love to hear. I'm a single person, have good history and references, and I will be able to make the deposit, etc. So, anyone looking for a roomate/renter around the end of May or beginning of June?

I don't own a vehicle (haven't needed one while living in St. Paul), but Glendive looks small enough to get around by walking for a few months until I do get one. Are my assumptions wrong?

What is there to do in Glendive?

Any other advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Last edited by SlagShooter; 04-26-2011 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 12:46 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,675,894 times
Hello and welcome to the board, I wish I could help you more.
Can BNSF give you some contacts? Small place you are moving to.
At least we do not have to warn you about the weather huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlagShooter View Post
I will be moving to Glendive in a month for a job with BNSF, and I have been having a hard time finding a place to rent... From the phone calls I have made, there is an oil boom in the area and rentals are far and few. I have been checking the towns paper online, but it hasn't led anywhere. The listings I find always have 3-4 other people who called before me asking about it. I am searching anywhere I can for leads.

If anyone has any information that would be helpful, I would love to hear. I'm a single person, have good history and references, and I will be able to make the deposit, etc. So, anyone looking for a roomate/renter around the end of May or beginning of June?

I don't own a vehicle (haven't needed one while living in St. Paul), but Glendive looks small enough to get around by walking for a few months until I do get one. Are my assumptions wrong?

What is there to do in Glendive?

Any other advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Old 04-26-2011, 01:29 PM

I appreciate the welcome!

If I need to I will contact BNSF. I've never relocated for a job before (always move-then-job). I wasn't sure if it was okay to ask them for help, or if I would get a "that's your job to find a place, not ours' " kind of response.

It wouldn't be as fun living somewhere where the weather was perfect. Blizzards, storms, tornados, and the rest all make better stories to impress young relatives.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:30 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Does BNSF have a complex in Glendive? A few years back, when Gillette was booming and apartments/houses were hard to find, BNSF allowed crew members to stay in the complex long term (3-4 months) while waiting to get into a place. Might be an option.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:47 PM

That's an interesting thought... I wonder if they do? Hmm.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:52 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlagShooter View Post
That's an interesting thought... I wonder if they do? Hmm.
If nothing else, that would assure you a ride to work.

The complex in Gillette is fairly new and really nice. Game room, library/study room, beautiful rooms, laundry room, etc. I'm surprised it doesn't have a pool and jaccuzi.

Can only hope Glendive has something similar.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:04 PM

Something to ask about, that's for sure. Doesn't have to be as fancy as the place your describing. All I'm looking for is a place to sleep and shower.

But, who would say no to a game room? Laundry, too? I'd feel guilty not leaving a tip.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:29 PM

I talked to someone who is from that area, works for BNSF, and there isn't any form of housing provided by BNSF at this time.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Also, on a related note, is there a bicycle shop in town? I left mine in Maine before I moved to St. Paul.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:26 AM

Allrighty, I'll be heading out to Glendive on Friday the 20th. Found a few possible (stress on the possible!) places to live, so long as they don't get snatched up in the next week.

What would be a good thing to do on the 21st to check out the town?

Old 05-12-2011, 11:45 PM

2 posts, read 9,055 times
Default glendive rentals are tough!

If you are persistent, you can find a place. There are rentals in nearby Wibaux to be had (check the pennysaver), but without a car, you will need to be in Glendive. A friend of mine (male, single) lived at the battered women's shelter for a while. There is a community college in Glendive, and they might have some leads.

Good luck finding a place to live. Try and find a beater car, because life is SOOO much better if you can get out of town to go to the brewery in Wibaux or to another neighboring small town. I don't THINK there's a bike shop in Glendive (I could be wrong) - there's a poor one in Miles City, better ones in Billings.

There are open mics once/month in Glendive, and the people who run the music store are very nice and plugged into community events. Pay them a visit. They also sell comic books and other "lifestyle" items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana