Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 09:36 AM

11 posts, read 19,853 times

Advertisements

I have been looking into moving to ND for work...I've been reading about the boom towns and that the towns are getting to be in bad shape and the people are unfriendly. I've been to Montana many times and enjoy the way people live. So I guess my question would be is there any oil work in the eastern part of the state and if so where would I start looking? Thank you for all the info everyone. These forums have been great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 07:27 PM

629 posts, read 1,721,560 times
Eastern Montana is certainly experiencing the effects of the oil boom. The epicenter seems to be right around the Sidney MT area so that's as good of a place as any to start looking.

Just keep in mind, that the same things that have come with the boom in ND are happening in MT (lack of housing, high priced rentals when you can find it, infrastructure stretched to the limits, lots of new folks looking for work, increased crime, etc).

Old 07-31-2012, 09:44 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
FL2MT is absolutely correct and gave good data. Let me add to it.

The Bakken oilfield ranges through North Dakota, South Dakota and into a large portion of Montana. When the oilfield first wanted to break ground, Montana and South Dakota did it right. They slammed on the brakes. North Dakota didn't, they offered as many permits as they had paper.

South Dakota still has the brakes on and probably won't let up until the other states run out of oil.

North Dakota started printing permits and basically took everybody by surprise. Police departments were not ready to expand as they were needing to. Grocery stores were not ready and for months the shelves were empty minutes after the delivery truck left. There was no housing available a month after permits hit the street. They have been behind the power curve since day one.

Montana put the brakes on and said, "Wait a minute, we've go to get ready for this and plan it out." So far, they've done a pretty good job, however, the Sidney area, being so close to Williston ND, got hit as a bedroom community more than they did business. People couldn't find places to live in Williston, so they moved to Sidney and the North Dakota 500 became the race of the commuters. The rest of the area in Montana, has had more time to plan, to build, and most importantly, have a plan of action that everybody is in tune with. There won't be the major problems that Williston saw.

Having said that, big oil centered on Williston and set up shop. Most, if not all, major companies screamed into town and bought up property, buildings, motels, houses, everything they could get a hand on, and unfortunately, set up Headquarters there. There is a lot of business in Sidney, but it's the smaller companies, the roustabouts, the locators, the electrical outfits, where Big Oil, Haliburton and such, are set up in Williston. So if you wanted a job on an oil rig, your best bet is to head for Williston and hope and pray you can get stationed in Sidney or further West. Or, you can head for Sidney and hope and pray you can get on with a smaller company, like some of the test rigs, or locator rigs. You have a much better chance of finding housing in Montana, but it's not going to be in Sidney. You might find work in Sidney and have to commute from Glendive or another town around there.

There is a large oil formation that has recently started to open up in Eastern Montana. Right now they are testing, locating, and pretty much in the discovery mode.

Hope that explaination helps.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:11 PM

11 posts, read 19,853 times
THANKS!!! The info from the site is priceless..... I think u will be stoppin in ND with the hopes of making it to MT for work. When you'll say that it's still in the discovery mode does that also mean I'd have a better chance at finding an entry level position with a company? Thanks again everyone.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:50 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
There is already a thread going on here, and I posted in it. It's this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/monta...-bakken-2.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana