Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 07:52 AM

8,090 posts, read 15,173,151 times

Advertisements

So, Silvertip, where is this sawdust pile that it's already under two feet of snow?

Some folks here may not realise how much I use... I hauled about four cubic yards of chips last week and already used up half of 'em in the kennel. You can see why buying sawdust isn't an option (I could buy fine sawdust, but it's $16/yard, and tho it binds the mud it does stay wet)... over just a few months that could get more expensive than concrete (no point pouring concrete on a temp location). Shavings can be bought anywhere but cost 3x what sawdust does.. gets real expensive real fast, and over time they make the mud worse cuz they hold water.

I've thought about getting a chipper, but then the problem becomes scrounging up scrap wood, and I'm back to it costing more than just going and getting free chips a whole bunch at once (well, $20 if they load 'em). If one fell on my head for cheap, tho, I wouldn't turn it down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 08:25 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,589,919 times
About 1/2 way between Livingston and Bozeman, about 5 miles south of the highway if you go cross country, just over the ridgeline from Trail Creek to the north.
The main road in there is usually blocked for the last mile before you have to go cross country on the farm access road to get there.

Once you ford the crick, you make a run to hit the hairpin turn so you have enough speed to climb the hill. I have several times not had enough speed and come backwards off that hill faster than I went up with all 4 wheels full speed ahead and not making a bit of difference.

Right now, if you're lucky and the snow hasn't drifted, you can get in there with a 4x4 with chains all around. The ground freezes and makes it easier to get a toehold.
If it has drifted, there is one spot where the drift can be as much as 8 feet deep and 30 across at this time of year.

The land is at around 6500 feet above sea level, so the snow comes early and leaves late. We usually don't plan on being able to get in there between any time in November when the snows come, and Father's day when the mud finally dries up after runoff.

Next summer, it is a lot easier to get in there and once we start cutting again you can have all the sawdust you want. We even have a blower system that will fill your truck, (cab and all) with sawdust quick and easy
You wouldn't even have to shovel

Old 11-03-2013, 09:54 PM

Ah, I know more or less where that is... never did go down any of Trail Creek's side roads, but it does get a mite lumpy up there. Doesn't sound like I'll be dropping by any time soon, haha Next summer after it dries out, that sounds like a plan... can a person get a trailer up there?

Old 11-03-2013, 10:58 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,589,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Ah, I know more or less where that is... never did go down any of Trail Creek's side roads, but it does get a mite lumpy up there. Doesn't sound like I'll be dropping by any time soon, haha Next summer after it dries out, that sounds like a plan... can a person get a trailer up there?
When dry, yes.
We usually take a 26 foot up there, load it with 8 foot lengths of firewood and come out, usually quickly as there is a lot of weight in 3+ cords
(the big trick is to not loose any when you go around the hairpin quickly )

Old 11-03-2013, 11:00 PM

I think I'll let you drive

Old 11-19-2013, 03:04 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,081,189 times
I have to recommend Regency. I actually have an insert, but Regency makes their free standing stoves the same as their inserts. The only difference is that the inserts don't come with the legs or pedestal. I have the I1200 model:

I1200 Wood Insert - Wood Fireplace Inserts - Regency Fireplace Products

I did ask our insurance company, Nationwide, and they just said make sure you have it installed to code and have that noted on the receipt. The best thing is to get a company that knows what they are doing and has been around for a while.

The only downside that I have with my stove isn't the stove itself, but the physics of an insert. With an insert, you will lose a lot of radiant heat. Our fireplace stone takes hours to absorb the heat. Additionally, the back of the fireplace is in the garage, which is actually better than being outside like most homes. We are planning on building another house soon, and I will incorporate a freestanding stove. Also, with an insert, you will likely have to install a blower, which for my unit, is a $300.00 add on. Motor units are around $100.00, and so far mine hasn't went out after six years of constant use.

I want my stove for part fun/part emergency heat, so I'm a weekend burner. I used about half a cord, if that, every season. The way my insert is, I pretty much burn it with air open almost all the way. I make a smaller load fire that is hot, but that way it keeps down the creosote. I have packed it full, and it got really hot, and I watched it closely, but never saw anything that would make one think it would meltdown. There is no smoke from my insert when it is up and going, but you can tell that there is heat coming from the chimney if you see the light waves bend. My insert is on the EPA list, so hopefully they won't ever come out and do an outright ban. My goal is to live as rural as I can in our area, and hopefully avoid big government and complaining neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana