Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 03:51 PM

607 posts, read 2,367,398 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, taking a survey from some of the colder climates to help me make a decision on buying the right stove. Looking to put in a 2000' single story house. Want a reliable, non fussy, well made stove without breaking the bank. Still a toss up on steel vs cast enamel. What brand and models have you had success with? The dealers I have gone to say "their" house brands are the best.....naturally!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 04:38 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Hi, welcome to the Montana Forum.

Interestingly, we have been discussing this very thing, over in the Wyoming Forum. Particularly in this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/wyomi...ood-stove.html

It seems that when Obama first took office and so rudely set the EPA standards tight, to choke out coal use and production, he also choked out wood burning stoves. He set the standards so tight that most current wood stoves - fireplaces etc, will be illegal very soon. Not only can you not install, but you can not continue to use, stoves that are not on the "approved list". That list is available on that thread.

Also, I found a Rocket Stove and posted the info there. A rocket stove is a very efficient method of not only cooking, but heating, and even water heater applications. They also have smaller units for camping and such.

Again, I highly recommend taking a look at that thread.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:57 PM

Seems that the stores I have been into talk about how clean they burn now and that they pass all regs. My concern would be if I buy one and then Big Brother says no more wood stove at all. I guess we just have to sign along with the bill then read what is in it later......

Old 10-18-2013, 06:29 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
Seems that the stores I have been into talk about how clean they burn now and that they pass all regs. My concern would be if I buy one and then Big Brother says no more wood stove at all. I guess we just have to sign along with the bill then read what is in it later......
The problem being is that the stoves do pass regs, right now, but will they after this kicks in? Did you check the list to see if your stoves (the ones you have been looking at) are on the list? Could be that you have no worries, but don't just listen to the salesmen, they're out to get rid of stock before new regs are put in place.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:46 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
We bought the biggest Blaze King with glass front from stove professional & had it installed in basement. This was last Fall and total price was $4,000. It was put in as a replacement for an old wood coal furnace. We were able to use existing brick chimney because it is lined & is "to code" so only stove pipe required was a few feet.

We're happy with it. It holds fire from 12-36 hrs depending on setting. We burn split dead green ash & pondersosa pine that has cured.

FYI-Many years ago our insurance agent explained that if a house burned down and cause was determined to have to do with the wood stove...that unless professionally installed, all home insurance companies would refuse to pay the claim. So you may wish to check with your insurance carrier first.

We do have auxiliary heat but use only if not at home for several winter days in row.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:23 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
We've always used Dutchwest XL size cast iron wood stoves. They do have a cat so they burn really clean. They give out a load of great heat.. That's pretty much all we used back in WV burning oak, hickory, elm and such.

BTW local and municipal authorities have their own regs and some have been much more stringent than any other federal rules. Check your jurisdiction. Because of inversion issues (and the fact pine wood to me is not worth the effort vs. BTU output) we went with pellet. We're really happy with our pellet appliance. Great heat, runs on a remote thermostat and all you do is add a few bags a day. It's the equivalent of heating our home with NG relative to cost.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 10-19-2013 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: Bypass word filter

Old 10-20-2013, 11:20 AM

Looks like I am down to the following....any thoughts?

Pacific Energy Super Step Top
Alderlea T4
Jotul Castine
Lopi Endeavor

Old 10-20-2013, 02:36 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
If you have to buy fire wood, unless it is quite cheap, pellets are the way to go. Be certain to get the battery backup for the feeder that takes over when the power goes out.

Wood was our choice because we have several hundred acres of pondeBullBoxer31 on our place plus a great local wood guy that delivers chopped & split hardwood. Our ash trees are all healthy so have only a few blow downs a year.

Blaze King have long been considered the only brand worth having if you want long term quality & efficiency. We have had both BK wood stoves and fireplace inserts in all our ranch houses. I have never heard of those brands.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:49 AM

12 posts, read 46,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Hi

It seems that when Obama first took office and so rudely set the EPA standards tight, to choke out coal use and production, he also choked out wood burning stoves. He set the standards so tight that most current wood stoves - fireplaces etc, will be illegal very soon. Not only can you not install, but you can not continue to use, stoves that are not on the "approved list".
How is that enforceable unless you invite Big Bad Brother into your home? It seems we have a 4th amendment for that.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:43 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
You invite big brother in when you get insurance. They look to see if the stove is "approved" and installed correctly, if not, no insurance or higher premiums.

On a second note, in my area there are people employed by the county that drive around all day looking for smoke coming from houses, and depending on their whim of the day for setting "air quality standards", they will give you a ticket for burning.

The really dumb thing is I had a pellet stove, (huge waste of moeny and a large piece of junk by the way), and it smoke far worse than my wood stove, but it was "approved"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana