Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Montana: finding a job, diversity, traffic, condos.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 07:08 AM

32 posts, read 76,312 times

Advertisements

Is Montana like a step back in time, like slower pace, nice people, low crime.. Where is the best places to raise a 10 yr old girl, whom loves horses, love to go to a real rodeo, and just to live the way we should live, enjoying life for what it is, not having to always have so much money for everything. To meet nice people!! But a quiet place to have your own privacy, but not extremely far from medical places if you need help, We are in our mid to late 40's and just want to slow down and husband find a nice job but enjoy lots of beauty and mountains!! nice snowy weather in winter, and beautiful springs and summers. Been told people go out of there way for people here to help each other, Is this true or am I dreaming!!?? Thanks much...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 01:19 PM

495 posts, read 493,283 times
Boy, that's a pretty open question

Lot's of places I guess would be my answer.

If you are well to do, independently well off - anywhere with a good view will do.

Otherwise, keep the horse in front of the cart - and make finding a job or livelyhood first priority.

Rodeos ? I think that's more of an eastern montana thing, western MT is more about lattes, kyaking, tatoos, tofu, self-absorption and liberalism. Oh let's not forget diversity and alternative life styles.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan View Post

If you are well to do, independently well off - anywhere with a good view will do.

Otherwise, keep the horse in front of the cart - and make finding a job or livelyhood first priority.

Rodeos ? I think that's more of an eastern montana thing, western MT is more about lattes, kyaking, tatoos, tofu, self-absorption and liberalism. Oh let's not forget diversity and alternative life styles.
Thanks, but certainly not what I have been told

Old 01-12-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan

Thanks, but certainly not what I have been told
??? what were you told ?

Old 01-12-2008, 07:12 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,070,967 times
True eastern Montana has the majority of the rodeos here but here is a list of towns in the western part of the state that host rodeos. Most are in the summer or fall during the county and state fairs.

Butte
Deer Lodge
Eureka
Hamilton
Helmville
Hot Springs
Kalispell
Libby
Lincoln
Missoula
Plains

Old 01-12-2008, 07:49 PM

Default Thanks rickers,

Could you please be honest and tell me which part of Montana is a nice place for me and my family. Thanks for update on rodeos, but are there places w/ horses around there or is that more in Wyoming? Now Im wondering if Wyoming isn't better. Which place is just more layed back and enjoys life for what it is?? Pls. advise and thank you again

Old 01-12-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan View Post
Quote:

??? what were you told ?
That Montana was a beautiful place to live and nothing about any of the other things you mentioned. I guess the pictures are what Im going by and wasn't aware of all the other. Just trying to find a more layed back place less crime ect, ect. Was cking into a job there.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan
Quote:

??? what were you told ?

That Montana was a beautiful place to live and nothing about any of the other things you mentioned. I guess the pictures are what Im going by and wasn't aware of all the other. Just trying to find a more layed back place less crime ect, ect. Was cking into a job there.
yea some people think MT is beautiful, other people could care less about living here, beauty is only skin deep, and it's all relative. Some people would rather shot themselves before living in eastern MT.
MT has gain a reputation in may ways for something it really isn't. Because of the books and movies. One might say there is two montanas....the liberal hippy montana and the conservative cowboy montana. And gernally speaking you can divide that into western mt + bozeman and second being eastern mt, generally speaking that is.
The impression mt gives in the books, movies, and media is the cowboy montana....
Come to western mt and drive 93 north from the Bitterroot valley and you'd be hard pressed to see a cowboy, what you will see is, well alot of traffic first off, urban sprawl, and yuppie decadence partiulcarly around Flathead Lake, and the like, and if you stop in a bar or cafe, you'll see yuppies and hippies - 50 to 1 over cowboys.....are there some around, yea some. There is the other Mt, but you'll need to go east, it seems the mountains are a magnet for the rich and wealthy poor alike.
And Missoula has a lot more in common with san fransisco than dodge city, it's the kind of place that people celebrate diversity and indulge in 'quality of life' issues....Billings I imagine is more into punching and roping doggies at the fair.
A 'nice place to live' is a pretty subjective thing. what do you like ? Do you like praire or mountains ? cowboys or yuppies ? cheap flat land or expensive mountain waterfront views ?
In general mt should really be two different states.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:58 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,429,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasouders View Post
Could you please be honest and tell me which part of Montana is a nice place for me and my family.
To be honest, no one can tell you which part of Montana (or any other state) will be a nice place for you and your family.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:22 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,560,266 times
Definitely true about the yuppie vs cowboy dynamic, JJM. Just walk down Main St Bozeman and you'll see what I mean. Most people dressed in cowboy garb around here (Bozeman) are easterners/Californians who recently moved here and are trying too hard to fit in.

That said, even the yuppies here are incredibly friendly, in my opinion. Even in Bozeman, which has a bad reputation amongst many native Montanans, people are friendly and will say hi to strangers as they walk by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana