Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2008, 09:58 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,163,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
Reziac,

This makes a lot of sense, and based on this and other posts, I'd guess that you are pretty active in "what goes on" and I sure appreciate your insight into some of these changes we (and most of the country it seems, looking through other states forums) are seeing out here.

My question is what do you think a normal, working person do to help get things back on track?
I really don't know. In L.A. County, the only way to have any influence is to put the biggest bri^H^H^H campaign contribution into the County Supervisors' war chests. The upshot is that big developers and moneyed special interests do whatever the hell they want, while everyone else is SOL. My own state senator is horrified by some of the crap that goes on (he's one of the very few in CA state gov't who is actively fighting AB1634 (http://www.petpac.net/BillQandA/ - broken link), which is a hideous negation of our Constitutional rights), but he's a lone voice in the wilderness, and there's not enough money in his district to influence anything.

We've entered an era of unprecedented greed, precipitated by unprecedented profits (seems like the more money someone makes, the more money they feel the NEED to make). The last time something like this happened was during the rise of the big industrialists in the late 1800s, but even tho they mercilessly exploited anything in reach, most of them built something that ultimately had long-term benefits to more than just themselves, by spawning industries that employed millions for decades (indeed, until the unions made them unprofitable). By contrast, the new McRanch culture has short-term benefits to the initial seller and the construction companies, but that's where the benefit ends. And meanwhile, it damages and eventually destroys the culture and economy for existing residents -- but no one with the power to stop the process (read: money) cares about that.

If you look at the stock market, the same thing is happening there. Founding partners have pretty much aged out, so companies are now run by managers with business degrees but no experience at actually building a business. So formerly-excellent companies are gutted to ensure that the costs are reduced yet again so the almighty bottom line will look "improved" to shareholders for the next quarter or two (a direct effect of being legally obligated to shareholders first and foremost). If that means they fire all their employees, outsource everything, and import shoddy goods instead of making their own products, oh well, it made Wall Street happy for another quarter, and that's all the new school of management cares about! (And if the company goes under next year because all the customers have left in disgust -- oh well! by then the new crop of MBAs will have collected their golden parachutes and moved on to gut another company.) Used to be that stability and a steady dividend was right and good. Now, the only thing that counts is how much "growth" and "cost savings" you can demonstrate.

I really don't know what to do about it -- we can try all we like to save our way of life and all that happens is we find ourselves without the resources to do anything, sometimes not even the resources to continue living in the modest manner to which we're accustomed. It's really quite depressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 10:35 PM

19 posts, read 46,855 times
I'll be interested to see what people say when we move to MT. My husband and I decided to make the move (which we had been dreaming of since we met 9 years ago) when his company let him know they wanted him to do all the siding on a subdivision going up.

I know... more houses.

But, the company that is putting them up is well known for creating houses that people can AFFORD. From what I've researched on my own and what folks are needing are new, affordable homes. Most people say that you can't build a new house for under $250k most of the time, and that is if you already have your own property.

Most people can't afford that, unless it's a two income family making excellent money.

I'm hoping that the homes that will be built (which start in the low $100k range) will give more people the opportunity to own nicely built homes for their families. These homes are not designed for people coming in to build a palace on 5 acres and call themselves ranchers.

And I'm hoping that people won't view our family as though we personally bought up the acreage to develop it, or that we want to turn the entire area outside of Billings into a strip mall (barf). My husband's job moved here, and since I can work anywhere (I'm an artist and fitness coach), the decision was pretty much made for us.

We are looking forward to being a part of Montana, not making Montana another version of where we moved from. The subdivision is going to go up whether or not my husband sides the homes. We want to be in Montana.

I totally agree with the original post, that when you move to a place, it should be because you love the PLACE....

We're actually taking a huge financial hit to move out there. With the crazy over inflation of real estate prices in our area (WA State), we're losing over $60k on the value of the home we are selling in just two years. And yes, a lot of that over inflation in the homes came from folks who moved here from a much more inflated housing market, and bought homes left and right.

I think most people, well, maybe that's ideal to say most... but a lot of people are simply looking for something better for their families. I would like to think I have reasonable expectations for Montana. And we probably would not be able to make the move if my husband did not have a long term contract lined up and I didn't work from home.

We plan to dig roots, become active in our communities, and be valuable to the place where we make our home. I don't push my views down other people's throats as long as they respect me enough to do the same.

I am not worried too much about people being friendly. As with anywhere, the "outsiders" are going to be interesting for a while. Especially in a town with less than 100 people. And I know people are going to watch what we do, where we go, how much beer we buy at the local store, what we drive. That's human nature. People will get to know us, know our children, and I believe with my heart that we'll make connections to last a lifetime.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:08 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,441,841 times
So, could a simple, down to earth person with a cat come and get a regular job and make it there?

Old 07-21-2008, 10:32 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times
Yes immediately change your car plates and never say, now where I came from........

Old 07-21-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
Yes immediately change your car plates and never say, now where I came from........
lol

Old 07-21-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
How about if I just mosey in on a horse?

Old 07-21-2008, 07:18 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
How about if I just mosey in on a horse?
You'll fit right in.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:51 PM

5 posts, read 26,207 times
Default The OLD Montana

So... if you could live anywhere in Montana.... that still seemed like the OLD Montana... where would that be?

Missoula has more million dollar plus homes in the surrounding area than just about anywhere I would care to live. Doing a search..... I really could not believe it. What do all those folks do that can afford the damn prices!? Crazy.

Can't wait for reality to set in. Apparently Missoula is just now starting to accept the real estate market is getting "soft"???

I like trees. And lots of them. So the western part of the state just seemed right. But looking at the home prices there is.... well.... nuts.

I think the problem is with all the folks who are dead set on moving here and getting "involved in the community". Leave it alone. And just live your life. Sheesh.....

After reading these posts.... it is a bit sadening. Looks like the fodder has crept its way into just about every nook and cranny of our nation.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:20 AM

8,090 posts, read 15,163,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybordolphin View Post
So... if you could live anywhere in Montana.... that still seemed like the OLD Montana... where would that be?
Me, I like wide open spaces. Big horizons and the drama of a single butte sticking out of the rolling plains, and a golden sea of grain stretching as far as the eye can see. If I had to pick just one spot, it'd probably be somewhere north of Great Falls. So... Fort Benton, maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybordolphin View Post
I think the problem is with all the folks who are dead set on moving here and getting "involved in the community". Leave it alone. And just live your life. Sheesh.....
Probably a wise philosophy, in the long run.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:19 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
So how out of place would a friendly, open minded Southerner from a small town in South Carolina who doesn't like extreme cold or snow but is fairly adaptable be in Montana? How would locals treat me in general if I can get along with most anyone? I know it sounds stupid but that's a serious question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana