Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 07:02 PM

39 posts, read 140,264 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking at relocating to Montana, Wyoming, the Dakota's, those types of areas. I'm a teacher, I teach 6th grade at the moment but I am flexible. Does anyone have any suggestions on small towns that have smaller schools I couldn't check into? I'm looking for very rural areas not large cities. I have a son who is 14 and will be a freshman next year. He is one of the main reasons I want to relocate right now, the area I grew up in here in NM is no longer a good place to raise a teenager and we need a big change.
Thanks!
Kat L.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2006, 12:39 PM

10 posts, read 39,507 times
What websites for these western states are you looking at for teaching positions?

I recently finished up secondary certification in Michigan...but this state's economy is at the bottom of the barrel so to speak.

Thanks

Old 05-05-2006, 07:19 PM

I've been doing searches by putting a phrase in the search bar like Montana School Districts, or whichever state I'm looking at and it will usually bring up some good links. Good luck to you.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,998 times
I am from the wonderful state of Montana and a suggestion would be to call Choteau schools. They are looking for an elementary teacher. I just saw a post on it some place as I have family there.

Old 05-18-2006, 08:10 AM

51 posts, read 213,924 times
Arrow Montana OPI

The major clearinghouse for all MT teaching jobs is the Jobs for Teachers link on the MT Office of Public Instruction site. To use the site fully, they do want you to post a resume. This is a site that is viewable not only by teachers, but by administrators as well. I got my first teaching job in MT when an administrator saw my resume on the site. The addy is:

www.opi.state.mt.us (broken link)

Another nice thing is you can set it up so all the new postings come right to your e-mail box.

Be aware that MT teachers are not the most well paid in the nation. Many of the smaller districts offer better insurance packages, housing, and other perks to get you to come there. Also, many of MT's schools are part of the loan forgiveness program so if you have student loans, that may be a consideration.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-20-2006, 03:20 PM

Wow thanks to both of the above and I'll get on that site and check it out. I appreciate the information very much.
Kat

Old 06-25-2006, 05:02 AM

2 posts, read 10,428 times
If you are really looking for a small town school, you should check with Avon schools. Avon is a small town about 45 minutes west of Helena. They might be looking for teachers there. But no matter where you teach the pay probably won't be great... Your son would probably go to Deer Lodge for high school, I think thats 25 minutes west of Avon. Whatever you decide, Good Luck! http://mt.localschooldirectory.com/s...chool_id/50557

Old 06-26-2006, 07:48 PM

41 posts, read 199,098 times
One of the nicest communities I ever lived in was Scobey. It's in the NE corner.... Wonderful, warm bunch of people and housing was pretty cheap. I don't know if they're looking for teachers right now or not, but check it out.

Old 07-09-2006, 04:12 AM

45 posts, read 334,431 times
A good place to look is Colstrip, MT. I say this because its very small and far from the 'big city' but the school has the money to do some amazing things. Colstrip is Coal mining town and is pretty well awash in cash for the schools. They are open to new ideas and new methods of teaching and have some of the latest technology. You get the best of both worlds.

The nice thing about Colstrip is the mine and powerplant have put so much money into the town there is a nice recreation department, you have a nice public pool and a small lake for fishing, they have a nice shooting and archery range, and plenty of hunting.

Besides this the town is small enough that you can walk just about anywhere, but watch out, the age for a driver's license in MT is 14.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:05 AM

I apologize for not answering for a bit, I've been out of town most of my summer off. I do appreciate the time you've taken to answer my post and I'll be keeping up my search during this school year.
Kat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana