Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 04:19 PM

30 posts, read 47,684 times

Advertisements

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...34723361_zpid/

This looks like a perfect setup. Is the meth problem in this county really that bad? It's in an ideal location for gardening and ample recreation. Nice small community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 05:13 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,527,148 times
Meth is very big issue in that part of Montana.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:58 PM

246 posts, read 349,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtMother View Post
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...34723361_zpid/

This looks like a perfect setup. Is the meth problem in this county really that bad? It's in an ideal location for gardening and ample recreation. Nice small community.

Holy crap prices went up since i left!! I can get 400 acres or more and a nice home with a pond or creek here for less!!

Old 02-02-2019, 07:05 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,969,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Meth is very big issue in that part of Montana.

Y'know, I hear that a lot about many areas of Montana, yet there are many of us who have never encountered meth in any way, shape, or form.
Yes, I'm sure it is out there, somewhere, but we never see the stuff, nor do we ever meet any users of illegal drugs. Perhaps that is because we never go where illegal drugs are manufactured, sold, or used. We have never been offered any such junk for sale, either.

Just like I know there are drunks out there (after all, I used to be part of that scene), but these days I seldom see a drunk. I stopped going to bars long ago.

Yes, there are undoubtedly a lot of dopers, druggies, and drunks around, but, honestly, you are unlikely to have any problems with them.
Unless, of course, you go looking for that scene.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:44 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,363,884 times
749k for a place like that on 84 acres ... seems awfully low. I'd be digging around for the back story and more info on any potential 'gotchas' on the property that might be keeping the price down. Looks can be deceiving, especially with real estate listings.

Those pics are from early Spring obviously ... Sanders County is going to be hot and dry in Summer/Fall and choking on smoke during fire season ... but that's just how it is in this part of the State.

Drugs and tweakers are everywhere ... I wouldn't put too much emphasis on worrying about it. Wherever you end up, carry pepper spray and/or a pistol and practice being proficient with them, just in case.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:25 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Y'know, I hear that a lot about many areas of Montana, yet there are many of us who have never encountered meth in any way, shape, or form.
Yes, I'm sure it is out there, somewhere, but we never see the stuff, nor do we ever meet any users of illegal drugs. Perhaps that is because we never go where illegal drugs are manufactured, sold, or used. We have never been offered any such junk for sale, either.

Just like I know there are drunks out there (after all, I used to be part of that scene), but these days I seldom see a drunk. I stopped going to bars long ago.

Yes, there are undoubtedly a lot of dopers, druggies, and drunks around, but, honestly, you are unlikely to have any problems with them.
Unless, of course, you go looking for that scene.
If you haven't seen meth heads you have blinders on. You don't have to "go looking for them." You will see them out and about. That being said, you don't have to socialize with them and they usually don't cause a lot of problems if you practice basic home security. If you have kids you may want to consider how bad it is in a town you're moving to and I don't know how bad Plains is. Meth would be low on my list of why I wouldn't live in Plains.

Old 02-03-2019, 03:28 PM

Thank you all for your replies.

There are meth users in the PNW. I'm used to seeing them. We've had property theft and our vehicles broken into. A druggy crashed into my car. Everyone here knows someone affected by it.
I wouldn't want to move all the way to MT and continue to have breakins and theft.

How is Swan valley in general, Phillipsburg, Cameron and Condon? Are many ranching towns located West of the divide? Or are they East of the divide around Billings and Bozeman? We'll return this summer to look.

We've owned horses that had either a minor leg injury/blemish, or were a nice retired horse. They've been given to us, rescued, or we've paid a minimal price for them. They make good trail horses and pets for my kids. Will I easily find a horse like this, are many people seeking good homes for retired horses? They can be difficult to find here without knowing the right person or having a connection. Good ones aren't advertised and unscrupulous horse traders are prevalent in Washington. Buying a horse out of state is safer here. Are "horse traders" common in MT? Or will we easily find a good affordable or free children's horse?

Thanks again for your replies, they're helping to narrow down the right location.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:23 PM

8,492 posts, read 8,777,706 times
The media price of a home in Plains is, according to one source, around $125k. So this home is 6x that. It appears it is one of the most expensive properties in area. Maybe tops. My source says very few properties over $400k there.

Property has been on market at least 7 months. A $25k cut in fall didnt do trick. Few could afford on local wages. Those who can probably generally prefer an area not as poor or isolated.

If it is right for your family and you are SURE, it could work out. I'd offer considerably less than asking and see what happens. I wouldn't count on price appreciation. I'd assume equal difficulty selling if you changed your mind or circumstances pulled you away.

I'd do multiday recon on the neighbors.

On edge of reservation. Consider the possible impacts.

Swan Valley? Nice is you don't need hardly any services near home and few neighbors. And perhaps 150 inches of snow per winter commonly.

Philipsburg is pretty and small. Much older than average population. Within range of Butte and Missoula, if you don't mind an hour to 1.5 hour drive, for most things beyond the basics.

There are ranchers both east and west of divide but east of divide you'll find more ranchers, fulltime ranchers and ranch communities where it is more common. West of divide it is probably more common to see part-time and hobby ranchers. And ex loggers and miners and maybe a few active ones.

Last edited by NW Crow; 02-03-2019 at 07:49 PM..

Old 02-04-2019, 12:00 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,662,916 times
Plains is a good location. You've got the Clark Fork River, and mountains rising toward the west, and a relatively easy drive to Missoula. Personally I think Thompson Falls is prettier. We haven't spent a lot of time in Plains, just driving through to and from Clark Fork, ID where we have property, but all the towns on Highway 200 are small and generally friendly. Not sure about Plains, but Thompson Falls has several supermarkets and restaurants. I'm sure there is meth in Sanders Ct, but not to the extent that we have felt personally bothered by it at this point.

I'd try Realtor.com in addition to Zillow. The listings are (to my knowledge) more reliable. The price does seem excessive for the area, but with a barn and a guest house, a creek, and fields it may be the New Normal. One thing to remember: If it's only a 5-minute walk to the river, it also means that the railroad is close. Check out Google Maps--the tracks run between Highway 200 and the river. You need to visit and actually spend some time on the property, just to listen for the train and the whistle. We looked at plenty of properties that seemed ideal, but turned out to be too close to the tracks.

Added: I read your other thread about commuting to an airport. IMO your husband would definitely be able to commute to Missoula once a week, but Highway 200 is a two-lane road. Just something to keep in mind in an area where many people drive fast, and deer, elk and moose may be on the road after sunset. Driving on 200 after dark, in bad weather, can be a white-knuckle experience. The other option is to take 135 to St. Regis and I-90 to Missoula. 135 is also narrow and winding, but I-90 into Missoula is usually a piece of cake.

Last edited by Clark Fork Fantast; 02-04-2019 at 12:15 AM.. Reason: Routes to Missoula added

Old 02-04-2019, 06:58 PM

Thank you NW Crow and Clark Fork Fantast for this much needed info and advice.

The commute from Sanders County area to Missoula sounds long/potentially dangerous. About how long in bad weather from Plains to Missoula using both of those above mentioned routes?

There's not alot on the market. What is there has been sitting for sale for years. I don't want to inherit someone else's problem. Especially given my husband's possible relocation to another airport at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana