Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 08:28 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,519,582 times

Advertisements

A RV might work in the Spring and Summer, but not going into the Winter. They're not insulated well enough.

I'd tell you to hit there in a truck, and be prepared to move quickly to find what you're after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 05:41 AM

6 posts, read 3,762 times
I get the temperature extremes, I look forward to it for my health! 80’s in the summer with low humidity and higher altitude sounds like heaven! Below freezing is ok too. My main desire really is to get my hubby away from these big cities and the unbearable heat and humidity. Truthfully, the lack of sales tax and an income tax exemption along with a homestead exemption is going to offset the living cost difference. I’ve been talking to people in Texas who are either from Montana or have lived there and I’ve only had one person tell me that they hated shoveling snow. That was the extent of their complaints. We are looking forward to this move. You all have been so kind!!!

Old 06-28-2020, 09:33 AM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4luvlypups View Post
I get the temperature extremes, I look forward to it for my health! 80’s in the summer with low humidity and higher altitude sounds like heaven! Below freezing is ok too. My main desire really is to get my hubby away from these big cities and the unbearable heat and humidity. Truthfully, the lack of sales tax and an income tax exemption along with a homestead exemption is going to offset the living cost difference. I’ve been talking to people in Texas who are either from Montana or have lived there and I’ve only had one person tell me that they hated shoveling snow. That was the extent of their complaints. We are looking forward to this move. You all have been so kind!!!
Montana has no salex tax but does have an income tax.

Old 06-28-2020, 11:58 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,536,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Montana has no salex tax but does have an income tax.
Yes. Wyoming is the state with veteran property tax breaks & no income tax. Sheridan WY is just like MT. Perhaps check out Wyoming Forum too.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:16 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,156,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4luvlypups View Post
You can pay local kids to shovel snow for you. I've also done it for free for elderly or handicapped people.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:10 PM

101 posts, read 159,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Yes. Wyoming is the state with veteran property tax breaks & no income tax. Sheridan WY is just like MT. Perhaps check out Wyoming Forum too.
Sheridan and Buffalo are cool; I liked them a lot.

IMO if one is considering Billings one should also look hard at Sheridan/Buffalo, as long as a smaller town isn't a negative.

If politics, and overall conservatism is important to you, WY > MT. My .02 cents.

(come at me, Montanans....LAWL....)

Old 06-28-2020, 06:17 PM

6 posts, read 3,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
We spoke with the Montana Department of Revenue and we do qualify for income tax exemption. The reason we want to be at least 41 miles from a VA clinic is that the Veterans Choice act will allow us to receive private care. Being in a more conservative environment is important for us. Texas is nice, but there are too many reasons not to stay. I’m sure we will do well wherever we land. My nephew lives in Wyoming. It’s nice, but it’s not where we want to be. Thanks all for the great advice! I’m enjoying looking at all the beautiful homes and checking out the area statistics.

Old 06-28-2020, 06:22 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
I WOULD be interested in the fishing there. Here in the Pacific Ocean sky is the limit. Got some giant monsters outh there.
You can catch some monsters in Montana. Just about everywhere in the state has access to some sort of fishing.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
You can catch some monsters in Montana. Just about everywhere in the state has access to some sort of fishing.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne Cobb View Post
Sheridan and Buffalo are cool; I liked them a lot.

IMO if one is considering Billings one should also look hard at Sheridan/Buffalo, as long as a smaller town isn't a negative.

If politics, and overall conservatism is important to you, WY > MT. My .02 cents.

(come at me, Montanans....LAWL....)
There is always, Gillette, Powell and Lander.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana